Armagh team for the Championship

Started by eriugaMS, March 18, 2012, 11:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: under the bar on March 23, 2012, 11:47:41 PM
QuoteI certainly think that POR has to go at the end of the season barring an Ulster title/AI semi-final appearance.

Why should he go?  He has made the team punch well above its weight at times and he can't be expected to make a silk purse from a pig's ear.

He has also brought some humiliating defeats to Armagh since he took over (Monaghan, Derry and Dublin).

Armaghgeddon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8cRM4UQ5eU

watch the Tyrone boys for 55 seconds

Another mastermind performance from POR..

Tyrone 0-23
Down 1-5

Orangemac

QuoteI certainly think that POR has to go at the end of the season barring an Ulster title/AI semi-final appearance.

Why should he go?  He has made the team punch well above its weight at times and he can't be expected to make a silk purse from a pig's ear.
Pat Gilroy did. Jim McGuiness did. Is the Donegal panel player for player so much better than the Armagh panel?

With managers like McGuinness,McGeeney and Tony McEntee you always get a sense of a gameplan and style of play, that each player knows their role and has been drilled to keep at it for 70 mins, you don't get that sense with the Armagh team after 3 years of POR.

BennyCake

Quote from: Orangemac on March 24, 2012, 08:38:01 AM
Pat Gilroy did. Jim McGuiness did. Is the Donegal panel player for player so much better than the Armagh panel?

With managers like McGuinness,McGeeney and Tony McEntee you always get a sense of a gameplan and style of play, that each player knows their role and has been drilled to keep at it for 70 mins, you don't get that sense with the Armagh team after 3 years of POR.

You're spot on, Orangemac.

yellowcard

Quote from: BennyCake on March 24, 2012, 01:38:33 PM

What Orangemac just said.

The squad is made up of players with AI U-21 medals, AI club medals, 4 players who have represented their country and a host of other Ulster titles at underage level. Kildare, Dublin and Donegal are teams that punch above theire weight. Armagh played Dublin in the qualifiers 2 years ago and their was a kick of the ball between the teams. Look at how each team has progressed since and then try and tell me that POR is getting the best out of the players. In my opinion the players are as good as any group in Ireland but just below Kerry, Dublin, Cork and Tyrone.

lawnseed

Quote from: yellowcard on March 24, 2012, 02:53:14 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on March 24, 2012, 01:38:33 PM

What Orangemac just said.

The squad is made up of players with AI U-21 medals, AI club medals, 4 players who have represented their country and a host of other Ulster titles at underage level. Kildare, Dublin and Donegal are teams that punch above theire weight. Armagh played Dublin in the qualifiers 2 years ago and their was a kick of the ball between the teams. Look at how each team has progressed since and then try and tell me that POR is getting the best out of the players. In my opinion the players are as good as any group in Ireland but just below Kerry, Dublin, Cork and Tyrone.
nail on the head. theres a brilliant opportunity with for a decent manager
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Orangemac

A lot of chat around Morgan or Cunningham making the transition from the Cross to Armagh team. Surely Danny O'Callaghan deserves a shout as well.

He would add a bit of steel to a sometimes porous half back line and his distribution is always good.

Armamike

Good player. More of a central player, not sure how he would do on the wing.
That's just, like your opinion man.

theticklemister

Quote from: Armamike on April 01, 2012, 11:26:56 PM
Good player. More of a central player, not sure how he would do on the wing.

he does things effectively. reminds me a bit like francey, as francey played with Cross for a number of years before going on to represent the county.

naka

on a side note great to see ronan clarke back playing for ogs
hopefully he will get a years football under his belt and who knows where he might be next year

The Real Gael

Quote from: BennyCake on March 24, 2012, 12:17:13 AM

He has also brought some humiliating defeats to Armagh since he took over (Monaghan, Derry and Dublin).

And what managers havent brought humiliating defeats to their teams? It happens the best of them, do Dublin get shot of Pat Gilroy now? Dont talk crap POR has worked under some extreme circumstances and with the "Down Man" tag hanging over him and he has done nothing but his best for Armagh. Who do you suggest as manager next year?

yellowcard

Quote from: The Real Gael on April 02, 2012, 01:13:50 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on March 24, 2012, 12:17:13 AM

And what managers havent brought humiliating defeats to their teams? It happens the best of them, do Dublin get shot of Pat Gilroy now? Dont talk crap POR has worked under some extreme circumstances and with the "Down Man" tag hanging over him and he has done nothing but his best for Armagh. Who do you suggest as manager next year?

The problem is that is best is not good enough. Are you implying that he deserves another year?

BerfArmagh

My Preferred Team for Championship

P Hearty (I Know I Know)
A Mallon (Best man marker we have),
B donaghy (best League Performer),
D Mc Kenna (bar Dublin has been consistent & Steady)
A kernan (Shoe in),
C Mckeever (Shoe in),
Dyas (Would give in 30 mins)
C Vernon (Good engine, contribution very much under estimated),
Hanratty (Will need his style of play against tyrone)
S Forker (Best forward in League this year),
M Mackin (Shoe in),
A Duffy (Position might be under threat of Mc Donnell comes back)
J Clarke (Shoe in),
Mc Parland (Needs to be given a chance) ,
Rafferty (Needs to be given a chance)

Subs S & A Kernan, R Clarke etc...

armaghniac

QuoteP Hearty (I Know I Know)
A Mallon (Best man marker we have),
B donaghy (best League Performer),
D Mc Kenna (bar Dublin has been consistent & Steady)
A kernan (Shoe in),
C Mckeever (Shoe in),
Dyas (Would give in 30 mins)
C Vernon (Good engine, contribution very much under estimated),
Hanratty (Will need his style of play against tyrone)
S Forker (Best forward in League this year),
M Mackin (Shoe in),
A Duffy (Position might be under threat of Mc Donnell comes back)
J Clarke (Shoe in),
Mc Parland (Needs to be given a chance) ,
Rafferty (Needs to be given a chance)

A Forker perhaps? Also Brian Mallon has shown good form this year, better than he ever has, like Mackin I think he has made his case. It will be interesting to see if S. Kernan gets the call.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

fitzroyalty

Saw Nippy Swift and Stefan Forker play yesterday, those two lads should be in the panel. Both accounted for the majority of their respective clubs' scores and some fine scores at that.