Armagh team for the Championship

Started by eriugaMS, March 18, 2012, 11:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eriugaMS

1.Geoghan..... better of the 2 goalies i have seen this yer............. Can no-one persuade McKinney that he should be No 1

FBL......   |Andy is a stalwart and as good as they get IMVHO. Defends well and breaks forward at speed. Brendy is a shoe in for Fb....... Very solid from the first day i saw him play here at Ballyboffey and other corner to Morgan (the cross lad). Think that could be a very tight Fb Line and have McKeown on hand to come in if needed

HBL.......... Aaron, Ciaran McK and ANO.......
Aaron is a there on merit.... A good defender and gets forward but needs to keep the concentration. CmcK is there because he is as good a back as there is in Ireland. Needs to cut out his stupid game of fouling off the ball..... if he was from another county we would hate him as much as McMenanmin is hated by other counties but he belongs to and is a legend.
A spare spot going in the half back line............ Not to Dyas by the way who has never done anything for me in an Armagh Jersey and pulls out of half tackles. How he is still on the squad amazes me.

MF.............. For me has to be Mal who has been the mainstay of the team the past 2 years and Charles........... (BUt maybe HFL is better for him)

HFL.
Forker... Stephen Kernan and Aaron Cunningham.............. For me i have seen great strides by Forker in the league. He has shown well as have a lot of other young lads but Forker has shown best for me
Until last year i was sk's biggest critic but every game in club football i have seen him play this year he has been instrumental and he can do job for the county,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, To Me Cunningham is nailed on... A running machine and a great brain too

FFL............. The scoring machine of the team
Stevie........ Still on top his game and a no brainer if up to speed
Jamie..............    ditto
FF----------- we need a full forward in Ronan's absence. Not mal's best position and not an easy jesrey to fill...............Would prefer a big 6 ft lad that bosses the area (and this is not Kingham)....

If this was the team it leaves room for some great footballers to come in...... McKeown, Duff, MOR, Finian, B Mallon and fellas like McParland, Grugan, et al.

Don't write the year of just yet

BennyCake

Performing well for Cross is alot different than performing for Armagh. SK hasn't played for Armagh in a while, so he won't be on the starting line-up, if indeed the squad. Has AC even played a game for Armagh?! That's madness saying he'll be starting too. Same with Morgan. Forker, maybe will start.

As for Stevie, he hasn't said he'll be coming back, nor does it seem like he will. He seems more interested in watching his 'beloved' Liverpool on TV. I think he needs to make a decision quickly so the management and players know the score.

The rest kinda picks itself. Although I wouldn't have Kingham near the starting XV.

Agent Orange

There seems to be a certain amount of animosity towards Stevie at the minute. Stevie has given his all for Armagh and his decison should be respected, if he comes back, great, if he doesn't he owes the county nothing. He has been at the top of the game for more than a decade, he is entitled to watch whoever he pleases.
Personally I don't think he will be back. Good luck to him.

ExiledGael

Quote from: BennyCake on March 19, 2012, 02:02:20 AM
As for Stevie, he hasn't said he'll be coming back, nor does it seem like he will. He seems more interested in watching his 'beloved' Liverpool on TV. I think he needs to make a decision quickly so the management and players know the score.

Just because you don't know the score with McDonnell doesn't mean management don't. He just put this on his Twitter.

Thanks to everyone for the kind messages after the birth of my son today. On top of the world.

naka

Hearty
Andy Mallon, donaghy, James Morgan
Ak, cmk,Dyas
Mal, Charlie
Forker,SK,anto Duffy
Clarke,stevie, rafferty

If not rafferty would try hanratty or mc kenna on the square.
Anto Duffy has well this year so would give him the nod over Cunningham .

bennydorano

Morgan didn't cover himself in glory at the weekend, how can he walk onto a team he's yet to play for.

DuffleKing

We're back in the sphere of judging the potential ability of a player at county level based on club form. I'd be hopeful Morgan will have a long career with Armagh but right now he'd have trouble marking a county forward with pace and strength. U21s will be a good platform to get a better gauge of how much he has yet to develop.

Armamike

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 19, 2012, 07:28:10 PM

We're back in the sphere of judging the potential ability of a player at county level based on club form. I'd be hopeful Morgan will have a long career with Armagh but right now he'd have trouble marking a county forward with pace and strength. U21s will be a good platform to get a better gauge of how much he has yet to develop.

But he's been marking county quality players all year and doing very well. Had a ropey first half but tightened up well in the second, against a top forward in Dolan.
That's just, like your opinion man.

bennydorano

Dolan was MOTM everywhere. Morgan deserves his chance & i'm sure he'll get it. County football at Senior level is a step up no matter what he's done all year. Stephen O'Neill could be sitting waiting for him,  he wouldn't be walking on to my team for such a task untried at that level.

Stevie Nicks

Quote from: naka on March 19, 2012, 06:34:00 PM
Hearty
Andy Mallon, donaghy, James Morgan
Ak, cmk,Dyas
Mal, Charlie
Forker,SK,anto Duffy
Clarke,stevie, rafferty

If not rafferty would try hanratty or mc kenna on the square.
Anto Duffy has well this year so would give him the nod over Cunningham .
Won't be too far away from the starting 15 come the 10th June, it also shows why we are odds on to be relegated as only 6 of this team started on sunday in o'moore park :(

Armamike

Well i would throw Morgan in, or at least give him some game time to see how he'd get on. We're not blessed with tight marking backs round the half back line at the moment.
That's just, like your opinion man.

PAULD123

Won't McKeever miss the start of the championship due to his impending suspension?

Stevie is a genuinely great player and I completely admire how well he has performed for years, but surely he can't come back with no county training behind him and be fit to go straight into a starting line-up?

Is Swift badly injured, I see no one has mentioned him above

Rory Grugan?

EC Unique

Who ever lines out at number 11 will have the task of trying to stop Pete Harte. Not an easy task at present.

naka

Quote from: bennydorano on March 19, 2012, 07:00:51 PM
Morgan didn't cover himself in glory at the weekend, how can he walk onto a team he's yet to play for.
give me an alternative

lawnseed

wont matter who starts your only looking at 2 matches unless we draw kilkenny in the backdoor then 3 matches. this has to be the worst preparation any armagh squad has ever had with homers negativity and grimleys reluctance to step into the limelight by actually becoming the manager and not the assistant. the arrival of the cross players after a hard club campaign will be  welcome but i doubt if it will boost the squad by as much as armagh supporters hope for. if cross win its kind of the end of their season not the start. as for stevie.. jeez how long can he go on for? hes not peter pan. we are at rock bottom. we need numpty orourke gone and a fresh approach to our game. a complete new management team able to re-jig the players and develop a style/system thats suits the players we have. imho these players ARE good enough they have not had a proper manager since joe.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once