How's your Lawn

Started by illdecide, March 18, 2012, 11:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Guys i'd appreciate if any of you out there know anything about the problem i'm having with my lawn...

I noticed over the last month or so my lawn getting very bare, i'm in this house about 5 years now and always had a decent lawn with lush grass. Today i noticed hundreds of worms on my footpath (brown worms but only about 30mm to 40mm in length and much smaller than the normal garden worm) i then moved the bins from the wall only to find hundreds more of the bastids, its obvious they're some type of pest worm that have been eating my grass but if you could give some advice of how to treat the lawn and kill the feckers as well as recover whats left of my grass...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Goats Do Shave

I've never heard of a pest worm...

Get yourself some Westland's weed feed and moss killer.

It turns your grass white for a few days (stay off the grass or you'll have footprints everywhere.)

Then it goes black... it's killing the bad stuff. & then the grass comes thick & fast inside 2 weeks. Keep your mower handy... you'll need it!

laoislad

Just after giving my lawn a dose of weed feed and mosskiller.
It has turned black so just waiting a few days so I can rake out the moss.
Anyone any ideas how long I should wait till I put some new grass seed down for some of the bare patches? Some say 3 weeks but I read elsewhere a week or after i rake out the moss should be fine.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Olly

Quote from: illdecide on March 18, 2012, 11:39:24 PM
Guys i'd appreciate if any of you out there know anything about the problem i'm having with my lawn...

Today i noticed hundreds of worms on my footpath (brown worms but only about 30mm to 40mm in length and much smaller than the normal garden worm) i then moved the bins from the wall only to find hundreds more of the bastids,

Not lying here but given the weekend that was in it don't be surprised if it's a set-up. Over the last number of years, the morning after Mothers' Day I'd find some kind of dead carcass outside my front door. At first it was like yours, worms and snails etc. Then in 2005 it was a dead cat, 2006 was a dead Alsatian, 2007 a dead ewe, 2008 a dead monkey and in 2009 a dead horse. In 2010 I got CCTV fitted the day before Mothers' Day and managed to catch the culprit hauling a young hippo (dead) from the boot. It was my own mother. I thought the girls looked after Mothers' Day in the family but it turned out my mother was fairly irked about my lack of charity. Have you upset any mothers in the past? Think hard and act now before your phoning the council to remove a dead elephant etc from your porch.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

MR99

Quote from: illdecide on March 18, 2012, 11:39:24 PM

I noticed over the last month or so my lawn getting very bare, i'm in this house about 5 years now and always had a decent lawn with lush grass. Today i noticed hundreds of worms on my footpath (brown worms but only about 30mm to 40mm in length and much smaller than the normal garden worm) i then moved the bins from the wall only to find hundreds more of the bastids, its obvious they're some type of pest worm that have been eating my grass but if you could give some advice of how to treat the lawn and kill the feckers as well as recover whats left of my grass...
Had this before about 5 years ago, cant remember the name of the wee feckers but you will hve to go to a garden centre for a special pesticide, quite expensive.  Ordinary weedkiller and fertiliser will be totally wasted.  It will take a good 2 months for your grass to reover.  Good thing was they only came once and the pesticide worked.  Costs about £70 for the bottle of stuff.

RMDrive

Would those worms not be slugs? Millions of the feckers around.

Hardy

Sounds like leatherjackets - the larva of the daddylonglegs (crane fly).

I know that sounds like the start of an Olly post, but I'm serious.

The crane fly lays its eggs in the ground and the larvae feed off grass and plant roots. You can get heavy infestations of them depending on conditions. I remember a few years ago, my driveway was covered in them for a day or two - it was like walking on bubble wrap. I reckon they were heading for the neighbour's because they couldn't have been too impressed with the quality of provender available on what's laughing called my lawn.

Tony Baloney

Illdecide, if you google "lawn grub worms" you'll get the story.

nrico2006

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on March 19, 2012, 09:11:50 AM
I've never heard of a pest worm...

Get yourself some Westland's weed feed and moss killer.

It turns your grass white for a few days (stay off the grass or you'll have footprints everywhere.)

Then it goes black... it's killing the bad stuff. & then the grass comes thick & fast inside 2 weeks. Keep your mower handy... you'll need it!

I tried that stuff last year, think I put a bit too much on it as my grass went black for a few months and is only recovering now.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Evil Genius

Quote from: Hardy on March 19, 2012, 01:25:33 PM
Leatherjackets are creamy white, not brown.

Tony Baloney's advice (Google) will track it down.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Hardy

Quote from: Evil Genius on March 19, 2012, 01:40:45 PM
Quote from: Hardy on March 19, 2012, 01:25:33 PM
Leatherjackets are creamy white, not brown.

Tony Baloney's advice (Google) will track it down.

One man's pacifist creamy white worm is another man's brown terrorist leatherjacket.

illdecide

Hardy thats the we bastids alright...there were hundreds of the feckers and my lawn in threadbare ffs...Hardy what did u put on the lawn to fix the problem and stop them coming back? and how long did it take to come back again?

thanks for the help lads...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Hardy

I didn't do anything, illdecide. I don't worry about the lawn a whole lot but they didn't do much damage that I noticed. I only noticed them when they were migrating across the drive for some reason.

Stall the Bailer

Farmers have the same problem with grubs in their fields. Usually a hard frost will kill most of them in the winter. This milder weather will not help though.
This is a good time of year to spray for them. Any agricultural type shop should have a pesticide that you could buy or if you know a local farmer could get it for you.

trileacman

The lack of innuendo here is shocking.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014