Congress Mass going ahead as planned

Started by shawshank, March 15, 2012, 03:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: The Iceman on March 20, 2012, 08:09:08 PM
True Atheism can't really explain moral or ethics or right or wrong. It doesn't exist in the naturalist or material world.
But I think that's a whole other thread......

Thankfully we have the church to teach us right from wrong, for example - gay is wrong....

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/dutch-roman-catholic-church-castrated-at-least-10-boys-3054852.html

Applesisapples

Quote from: J70 on March 20, 2012, 05:18:22 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 20, 2012, 03:18:02 PM
I wouldn't say that it is impossible to be good without believing in God, and conversely a lot of bad has been done in the name of
God(s). However it is a tradition in the GAA and should be continued and made ecumenical, but also allowing individuals to choose how they spend that hour if they are not religious.

You wouldn't say its impossible?? That's generous of you. I'll rest easier knowing you'll allow at least a slight chance that someone like me could be a decent, moral person!
You are misrepresenting my point, which is that people who don't go to church or believe in God are no less or more likely to be bad than those who do.

Jinxy

The title of 'frequent mass-goer' gave a respectable veneer to plenty of bad articles down through the years.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Tubberman

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 21, 2012, 12:19:47 PM
I wouldn't say that it is impossible to be good without believing in God, and conversely a lot of bad has been done in the name of
God(s). However it is a tradition in the GAA and should be continued and made ecumenical, but also allowing individuals to choose how they spend that hour if they are not religious.

You wouldn't say its impossible?? That's generous of you. I'll rest easier knowing you'll allow at least a slight chance that someone like me could be a decent, moral person!
You are misrepresenting my point, which is that people who don't go to church or believe in God are no less or more likely to be bad than those who do.

How could anyone possibly take the meaning above from your post below:

QuoteThe absense of any belief in God or a higher power is udoubtedly at the core of much that is wrong with the world today.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Applesisapples

Quote from: Tubberman on March 21, 2012, 01:20:08 PM

QuoteThe absense of any belief in God or a higher power is udoubtedly at the core of much that is wrong with the world today.
One was in response to a previous poster and the second stands on its own and in my opinion is true and not mutually exclusive of the fact that people who don't believe in God are no more likely to be bad. The actual point I intended to make was if people with a belief in God (and even those who don't) followed his teaching to the letter then the world would be a better place.

J70

Misinterpreted, not misrepresented.

Thank you for clarifying. That makes much more sense!

Declan

QuoteThe actual point I intended to make was if people with a belief in God (and even those who don't) followed his teaching to the letter then the world would be a better place.

Reminds me of a saying an old Christian brother who taught us Civics, as it was in the dark ages, had - "The problem with Christianity is that it's never really been tried properly" - his adjunct to that was its a bit like Communism in that regard

johnneycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 21, 2012, 02:05:22 PM

One was in response to a previous poster and the second stands on its own and in my opinion is true and not mutually exclusive of the fact that people who don't believe in God are no more likely to be bad. The actual point I intended to make was if people with a belief in God (and even those who don't) followed his teaching to the letter then the world would be a better place.

But what is his teaching to the letter? (i.e. those that haven't been doctored through the ages by various popes to suit their particular needs)

Are gays an abomination?

Is sex before marriage a sin?

Eamonnca1

if people with a belief in God (and even those who don't) followed his teaching to the letter then the world would be a better place.

Jesus wept!

Have you ever read Leviticus?

Declan

QuoteHave you ever read Leviticus?

When he refers to "his teaching" I'm guessing he's talking about JC the New Testament version??

Hardy

You can't blame people for being confused. Whatever about differences in belief systems between different gods, what are we to make of this kind of stuff from two different versions of the same god?

And stay ye not, but pursue after your enemies, and smite the hindmost of them; suffer them not to enter into their cities: for the LORD your God hath delivered them into your hand.
- Joshua 10:19

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

- Matthew 5:44

What is a sane person supposed to make of that and how can he implement one without contravening the other? Sounds like a trick to me.

Applesisapples

Quote from: johnneycool on March 21, 2012, 02:37:48 PM

But what is his teaching to the letter? (i.e. those that haven't been doctored through the ages by various popes to suit their particular needs)

Are gays an abomination?

Is sex before marriage a sin?

I think "Love thy neighbour", "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" and "take the beam out of thy own eye before taking the mote out of thy brothers eye" just about answer those questions. Personally I think if God hadn't wanted Gay people in this world we just wouldn't have created them. What constitutes marriage? Where did Jesusor God actually say it had to be a religious service?

Oh and apologies if the qoutes aren't exact.

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 21, 2012, 04:18:10 PM
I think "Love thy neighbour", "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" and "take the beam out of thy own eye before taking the mote out of thy brothers eye" just about answer those questions. Personally I think if God hadn't wanted Gay people in this world we just wouldn't have created them. What constitutes marriage? Where did Jesusor God actually say it had to be a religious service?

It is very difficult to figure out exactly where they are going with these and often they completely contradict each other.

For example:

"Love thy neighbour" and "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife" are clearly incompatible.

MWWSI 2017

J70

Quote from: muppet on March 21, 2012, 06:15:05 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 21, 2012, 04:18:10 PM

It is very difficult to figure out exactly where they are going with these and often they completely contradict each other.

For example:

"Love thy neighbour" and "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife" are clearly incompatible.

In fairness, I don't think the former refers to romantic love, while the latter certainly refers to lust and romantic love!

At least that's what my interpretation has always been.

But don't worry, there's plenty of other batshit crazy pronouncements and contradictions in the bible!

Maguire01

That's some serious backtracking you're doing.