Congress Mass going ahead as planned

Started by shawshank, March 15, 2012, 03:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Applesisapples

Quote from: bailestil on March 16, 2012, 03:37:42 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 16, 2012, 03:05:33 PM
I think if more people attended religious services, whether mass or other Ireland would be a better place.

So sitting in a Chapel, for 1 hour a week will make Ireland a better place?
I've heard it all now.
Not necessarily the chapel, a service. The absense of any belief in God or a higher power is udoubtedly at the core of much that is wrong with the world today.

Tubberman

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 20, 2012, 12:08:12 PM
I think if more people attended religious services, whether mass or other Ireland would be a better place.

I've heard it all now.
Not necessarily the chapel, a service. The absense of any belief in God or a higher power is udoubtedly at the core of much that is wrong with the world today.

Undoubtedly??? Is that as undoubted as the existence of this God in the first place?
Do you think it's possible for someone who doesn't believe in God to have morals and a conscience?

So the world was a much better place over the last few centuries when everyone did what the man at the pulpit told them?
The magdalene launderies, the orphanages, the child abuse - all those happened in this country when there was almost total belief in God and the Catholic Church held more power than the government in many ways.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

The Iceman

Quote from: Tubberman on March 20, 2012, 12:26:29 PM

I've heard it all now.

Undoubtedly??? Is that as undoubted as the existence of this God in the first place?
Do you think it's possible for someone who doesn't believe in God to have morals and a conscience?

So the world was a much better place over the last few centuries when everyone did what the man at the pulpit told them?
The magdalene launderies, the orphanages, the child abuse - all those happened in this country when there was almost total belief in God and the Catholic Church held more power than the government in many ways.
MAybe start a new thread as this is all diverging from the main one.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

thejuice

Unfortunately for some claim to know the truth humanity is always seeking out the truth. The search for truth does not care for creed or colour. Any faith or belief is tried and tested humanity. With time and understanding, the grains of truth that make up the foundations of those faiths are tested and it is only on the strength of those foundations will these faiths persist.

Suggested reading:
John Stewart Mill; On Liberty
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Applesisapples

I've heard it all now.

My belief at odds with yours...but my belief no the less.

Applesisapples

I wouldn't say that it is impossible to be good without believing in God, and conversely a lot of bad has been done in the name of
God(s). However it is a tradition in the GAA and should be continued and made ecumenical, but also allowing individuals to choose how they spend that hour if they are not religious.

muppet

I've heard it all now.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/top-developers-donated-huge-sums-to-vatican-2072679.html

Sean Fitzpatrick, Michael Fingleton, Johnny Ronan, Derek Quinlan, Sean Mulryan and Paddy McKillen. All big believers. Great men.
MWWSI 2017

Declan

QuoteSean Fitzpatrick, Michael Fingleton, Johnny Ronan, Derek Quinlan, Sean Mulryan and Paddy McKillen. All big believers. Great men.

Yep the ultimate Irish catholic get out clause - buy the indulgences!!

I'm sure the boys would be willing to give it all up and follow JC

J70

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 20, 2012, 03:18:02 PM
I wouldn't say that it is impossible to be good without believing in God, and conversely a lot of bad has been done in the name of
God(s). However it is a tradition in the GAA and should be continued and made ecumenical, but also allowing individuals to choose how they spend that hour if they are not religious.

You wouldn't say its impossible?? That's generous of you. I'll rest easier knowing you'll allow at least a slight chance that someone like me could be a decent, moral person!

Maguire01

The absense of any belief in God or a higher power is udoubtedly at the core of much that is wrong with the world today.
Undoubtedly? No doubt whatsoever? On what basis can you make such a confident/bold claim?

The Iceman

True Atheism can't really explain moral or ethics or right or wrong. It doesn't exist in the naturalist or material world.
But I think that's a whole other thread......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Captain Obvious

I've heard it all now.

Not to mention all the wars and killings in the name of god.

Hardy

Quote from: The Iceman on March 20, 2012, 08:09:08 PM
True Atheism can't really explain moral or ethics or right or wrong.

Fish can't play football.

Atheism simply states that there is no reason to believe that any deity can explain morals or ethics or right or wrong either. (And occasionally takes the trouble to point out that no two of them can seem to agree on any of these subjects either.)

It doesn't exist in the naturalist or material world.

Nor do Christianity, Islam, Buddhism ...

Atheists, however do not rely on random unsupported statements to explain the natural or material world.