Ulster U-21 Championship 2012

Started by omagh_gael, March 13, 2012, 06:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Apologies if there already is a thread started, cant access the search function on the phone. Anyway, first game of the year tomorrow night down in brewster park. Im sure we are big favourites for this game but the way we've been playing at u-21 this last few years you can never be sure (barring last year where we met a very good Cavan side). Can any of our Fermanagh posters give us an insight into your team this year? Who are the men we need to look out for? Anyone have any odds for the overall championship?

tommysmith

Armagh U21    5/2
Down U21    11/4
Tyrone U21    3/1
Cavan U21    9/2
Derry U21    8/1
Donegal U21    9/1
Monaghan U21    12/1
Antrim U21    33/1
Fermanagh U21 80/1

From Paddy Power.

mountainboii

If all things were equal I'd be very confident of Armagh winning Ulster, at least. But between injuries, the club championship, and senior team commitments, I wouldn't be that surprised if Cavan turned us over in the first round.

This is a class competition but the shite scheduling threatens to make a balls of it. How fair is it to ask the 19 and 20 year olds currently involved with senior teams to line out three times in six days? How many supporters are really expected to face up to three or four or five hour round trips across provinces on grim March nights? The thing deserves a more prominent place on the GAA calander.

Captain Obvious

Armagh favourites i agree with that although you couldn't ask for a more difficult opening game.

Westside

Hard to see past Armagh and Tyrone. I doubt it if Cavan can match the desire and work/team ethic of last year.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on March 13, 2012, 09:06:19 PM
Hard to see past Armagh and Tyrone. I doubt it if Cavan can match the desire and work/team ethic of last year.

The loss of Turloc Mooney for the whole year is a really big loss for Cavan, but they did win the Hastings cup too which was a pretty good barometer of the standard of U21 last year. Should be a great game to start the season. Who have Armagh got on that team, anyone from the senior set-up?

rodney trotter

They won the Hastings Cup with Mooney and Niall Mckiernan playing. Mooney has since been injured and Niall Mckiernan was dropped from the panel, 2 big losses. Armagh have 5 forwards on the senior panel, it will be a tight match hopefully Cavan will get past them and reach the semis.

ross4life

Cavan, but they did win the Hastings cup too which was a pretty good barometer of the standard of U21 last year.
They did but were lucky to beat us in the opening game & needed extra time to beat Longford whom didn't make it past the 1st round in Leinster last week. TBH Cavan's U-21 team was more impressive last year.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Westside

It was last year Myles but Longford that we only beat in extra time in the Hastings Final are out of Leinster already.. We'll be relying on a lot of the Minors to step up but we have some decent lads like Michael Brady, Jack Brady, Barry Reilly and Feargal Flanagan.. Armagh are always an extremely tough prospect at underage and we've only gotten past them once in the past number of years.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: ross4life on March 13, 2012, 10:10:51 PM
Cavan, but they did win the Hastings cup too which was a pretty good barometer of the standard of U21 last year.
They did but were lucky to beat us in the opening game & needed extra time to beat Longford whom didn't make it past the 1st round in Leinster last week. TBH Cavan's U-21 team was more impressive last year.

I could be wrong but i believe it was a weakened team that played roscommon in that game. Anyway, none of this matters one iota. Cavan should have a belief that maybe wasn't present before.

DownFanatic

Quote from: tommysmith on March 13, 2012, 07:06:18 PM
Armagh U21    5/2
Down U21    11/4
Tyrone U21    3/1
Cavan U21    9/2
Derry U21    8/1
Donegal U21    9/1
Monaghan U21    12/1
Antrim U21    33/1
Fermanagh U21 80/1

From Paddy Power.

Im surprised Down are at 11/4. I suppose this is probably based on the fact that they made the All Ireland Minor Semi Finals 3 years ago. I wouldn't be expecting much from them this year as the current management haven't got anything out of more talented players in the previous two seasons.

ross4life

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 13, 2012, 10:13:48 PM
Quote from: ross4life on March 13, 2012, 10:10:51 PM

I could be wrong but i believe it was a weakened team that played roscommon in that game. Anyway, none of this matters one iota. Cavan should have a belief that maybe wasn't present before.

Team that lined out not sure if weakened or not?  J.Varley,J Morris,K Brady,J McLoughlin,D Sexton,B Sankey,S Reilly,K Clarke, T Mooney, C Conroy, K Tierney,S Cadden, E Reilly,P Leddy, J Brady

That was the only Hastings cup game we got the chance to field close to a full team.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

RandyDupree

Tyrone have named a very understrength team for tomorrow night.  ???

Could well come back to bite them....although I doubt it.

Westside

Cavan would still have the 3/4 most experienced players to come into that lineup ross4life, Flanagan, Mick Brady and Barry Reilly and possibly Paul O'Connor. You'll also have Nevin O'Donnell and Big Conor Finnegan pushing hard for starting places. U21 is such a hard grade to predict.. We actually lost our last U21 game at home to Armagh in 2009 as far as I can remember. Brewster became a happy hunting ground for our underage sides recently.

omagh_gael

By chance you could post the team randy?