Wexford V Sligo

Started by SLIGONIAN, March 20, 2007, 01:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Yes I am over the Cavan game. Took a while alrite.

Now a huge game for us. This will be tight. Doubt forde will have much say with Harrison marking him so in with a real chance. Our forwards need serious work. Think sweeney deserves another chance after being dropped against cavan. Need to put him ff. Hope J martyn is back and replaces egan. MCgartys not far away from fitness I hear so will hopefully have some part to play.

Sligo lads do yee think we are a bit negative with oneill and gallagher as roamers and only playing 4 forwards ie brehony, kelly, s davey and sweeney.... Seem to crowd the midfield area and that gives ohara less space... We need more scores. I think our defence to start championship will be greene, donovan, mcguire, harrison, j davey, mcgovern, martyn no suprises there.. but worried about the forwards.

Sligo minors beat Leitrim 2-8 to 1-7 at the weekend so fair play to them. U21s BIG GAME against ROS coming up. Any word from the camp.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

I think we play a negative style because we have to and its our best chance of victory. We simply do not have the forwards to play any other was (successfully). Our style of play when we have done ok in recent years has involved carrying the ball. Sloyan inside never received that many 40 yards passes, racing out in front of his man, but he got heaps of scores. We also need the extra men around the middle to pick up breaks. That's my view on the tactics.

On the personnel side of things - not too much to disagree with there about the backs. Sweeney is a bit like Seán Davey in ways - can do a few great things but then for no reason looks like he never played football before. Either one of them for FF for me with the other on the bench.

Decent result for minors. Amazing how many fools within the county are ready to shoot Moyles if anything goes wrong. Tells you a lot about Sligo football and why we have been so excellent at failure over the years.

cavanmaniac

Come on Sligo and do ye'erselves and ourselves a favour here!! ;D

paddypastit

Been thinking about the Sligo set up and the personnel over trhe last few days but not having seen them this year I'll hold fire until I do.  Let's just say that I'm coming to the view that we are expecting too much based on a few old favoutrites being back.  We think of them as 'old' favourites for a reason.

Only other thought is in response to the comment about Harrison on Forde which I think typifies a certain naievette.  I've not seen much of Harrison and I have no doubt that he is could and could become a recognised intercounty standard corner back,  Foirde though is the real deal and a bit special.  I've seen him in the flesh about half a dozen times in the past two years on winning and badly beaten teams and he is a aquality quality player.  His weak point is temperment in that when the game is going away from him, he will do stupid - really stupid - things but his technical abilitry as a footballer is right up there and frankly the only reasion that he would get outplayed by a guy in his second season that has limited experience against quality opposition, is because he isn't up for it... which could always happen I suppose.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word