ni.com 2012

Started by lawnseed, March 11, 2012, 10:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: fitzroyalty on March 11, 2012, 11:52:09 PM
I'm assuming this is aimed with the Olympics in mind, but I really hate NI being marketed as a separate destination as opposed to just Ireland. Surely be more productive if the two tourist boards merged as one. Grinds my gears.

+1
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Evil Genius

Quote from: fitzroyalty on March 11, 2012, 11:52:09 PM
I'm assuming this is aimed with the Olympics in mind, but I really hate NI being marketed as a separate destination as opposed to just Ireland. Surely be more productive if the two tourist boards merged as one. Grinds my gears.
Sometimes NI is promoted jointly with ROI (under the Discover Ireland brand) and sometimes it is promoted in the UK context (where the money for the NITB comes from, after all).

Quite honestly, I'm sure local hoteliers and restaurant and bar owners etc are appreciative of any advertising they get, from whatever quarter.

In the meantime, you really should try to get over your knee-jerk antipathy to any reference to "Northern Ireland", since it's a bit petty. If nothing else, it will save you having to fork out for a new gearbox... ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

screenmachine

I think this debate was had on Radio Ulster in the not too distant past where we had a large portion of the Unionist/Loyalist community on complaining that there wasn't one mention of the 12th of July celebrations or the Orange Order events held throughout the summer.

One lady even came on to denounce everything Sinn Fein and suggest that they were 'taking over' up there on the hill and that it was about time somebody put a stop to them ruining their culture and traditions.

Then the tourist board came on and said that inclusion in the advert was based upon applications received from certain sectors and industries that had been received beforehand.  It turns out the Orange Order hadn't applied and therefore wasn't included - any previous caller had miraculously disappeared and couldn't be contacted, bigot and politician alike...

I'm guessing the GAA didn't apply either and therefore wasn't included. 

On reflection, the debate on Radio Ulster would have been red hot if there had have been a few snippets of GAA action and Orangefest had been 'overlooked' or so the callers seemed to think!?! ;)
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: screenmachine on March 12, 2012, 02:22:09 PM
I think this debate was had on Radio Ulster in the not too distant past where we had a large portion of the Unionist/Loyalist community on complaining that there wasn't one mention of the 12th of July celebrations or the Orange Order events held throughout the summer.

One lady even came on to denounce everything Sinn Fein and suggest that they were 'taking over' up there on the hill and that it was about time somebody put a stop to them ruining their culture and traditions.

Then the tourist board came on and said that inclusion in the advert was based upon applications received from certain sectors and industries that had been received beforehand.  It turns out the Orange Order hadn't applied and therefore wasn't included - any previous caller had miraculously disappeared and couldn't be contacted, bigot and politician alike...

I'm guessing the GAA didn't apply either and therefore wasn't included. 

On reflection, the debate on Radio Ulster would have been red hot if there had have been a few snippets of GAA action and Orangefest had been 'overlooked' or so the callers seemed to think!?! ;)

That is correct screen, twas by application only and given that the GAA is a 32 county association it would be wrong for it to be associated with a partionist advert.

Evil Genius

Quote from: lawnseed on March 11, 2012, 10:35:16 PM
i happened to see these very jazzy tv adds aimed at attracting tourists to 'norn iron'. yup i'd certainly like to visit ni.com 2012 because the weathers practically tropical and theres the golf, rory and darren and all the concerts.. those sunsets.. jeez do i live in this fantastic place? no mention of gaelic games anywhere though so i wont bother. a oversight perhaps??
There are quite a few Gaelic footballers featuring in this version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkPSlyrXdps
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Maguire01

Quote from: Evil Genius on March 13, 2012, 06:15:21 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on March 11, 2012, 10:35:16 PM
i happened to see these very jazzy tv adds aimed at attracting tourists to 'norn iron'. yup i'd certainly like to visit ni.com 2012 because the weathers practically tropical and theres the golf, rory and darren and all the concerts.. those sunsets.. jeez do i live in this fantastic place? no mention of gaelic games anywhere though so i wont bother. a oversight perhaps??
There are quite a few Gaelic footballers featuring in this version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkPSlyrXdps
;D