Laois v Armagh - NFL Round 5 - Sunday 18th March

Started by BennyCake, March 06, 2012, 10:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

Quote from: Dont Matter on March 22, 2012, 09:26:33 PM
Two players were mouthing away to eachother during the game and one player struck the other at half time and was sent off for it.
No member of the Laois official party engaged in sectarian abuse.

one player tripped up another player who was giving him abuse( "struck" is the wrong word here)
did croke park not take both sides aside and tell them to sort it out before it gets too heavy,
there are a lot of grants etc in the north for the gaa and it doesnt want to be perceived as " partitionist" 8)
thats what i think has happened

reddgnhand

Two players were mouthing away to eachother during the game and one player struck the other at half time and was sent off for it.

Did they engage in abuse that is not now deemed sectarian or racist?

Dont Matter

Quote from: naka on March 22, 2012, 09:35:00 PM

one player tripped up another player who was giving him abuse( "struck" is the wrong word here)
did croke park not take both sides aside and tell them to sort it out before it gets too heavy,
there are a lot of grants etc in the north for the gaa and it doesnt want to be perceived as " partitionist" 8)

"It was agreed that allegations made by Armagh County Board in their statement do not accurately reflect what occurred in O'Moore Park."
So the Armagh CB agreed to release a statement which makes them look like total idiots? They went along with this?
Or could the real reason be that they had no proof for the allegations they made and had to retract them?
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: reddgnhand on March 22, 2012, 09:36:06 PM

No, members of the Laois official party were not engaged in any abuse.
Peter Quinn

naka

Quote from: Dont Matter on March 22, 2012, 09:48:24 PM
Quote from: reddgnhand on March 22, 2012, 09:36:06 PM

No, members of the Laois official party were not engaged in any abuse.
lets agree to disagree
"inappropraite verbal exchanges" is a lawyers phrase for abuse

this case is about the ref choosing to ignore these " inappropraite verbal exchanges" when he heard them and choosing to send off mc keever for the trip and accuse grimley of intimidating behaviour

onefaircounty

Quote from: Dont Matter on March 22, 2012, 09:44:48 PM
Quote from: naka on March 22, 2012, 09:35:00 PM

"It was agreed that allegations made by Armagh County Board in their statement do not accurately reflect what occurred in O'Moore Park."
So the Armagh CB agreed to release a statement which makes them look like total idiots? They went along with this?
Or could the real reason be that they had no proof for the allegations they made and had to retract them?

Which doesn't mean it didn't happen, of course.

Dont Matter

Quote from: naka on March 22, 2012, 09:50:31 PM
lets agree to disagree concerning abuse given
players were not willing to give staements a la evra

On the field there's always abuse, if you want to call it that but that's where it should stay.
Nothing much happened down the tunnel.
Tales of Laois fans singing God save the queen, being angry and aggressive at matches, having a history of being sectarian bigots etc. etc that were all over the media in the last few days were caused by the Armagh CB's original statement.
They should have accepted their bans and moved on, it did nothing to help the GAA.
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: onefaircounty on March 22, 2012, 09:55:17 PM
Which doesn't mean it didn't happen, of course.

Yes or they were just making it all up.
Peter Quinn

Orangemac

All very embarassing from an Armagh point of view.

This sledging goes on all the time on the field and we have all heard abuse based around Northern teams Britishness at matches but if Armagh had won this game or McKeever not been sent off then there would have been no mention of this.

naka

[.
They should have accepted their bans and moved on, it did nothing to help the GAA.
[/quote]
why should they
grimley has already said he will contest his  12 week suspension and in my view he is right, mc keever has kept his counsel in this matter to his credit

as i said i will leave it as this and we can agree to disagree

splintered arse

Right lads, shake hands and pretend nothing happened. Otherwise Laois you'll get Paudi Hughes for your championship match and Armagh you'll get Mr Duffy Again.
No harm but for the Armagh County board to come out with such a strong statement was premature and foolish unless they were willing to stand by their convictions no matter what pressure was put on them, but now they look weak, pathetic sore losers.
If I was McKeever I'd be well pissed off at his CB. First they state that he was called this and that and then they say well in reflection it wasn't that bad. They should never have named him directly and ran to the press leaving him out to dry.
All that happened in the tunnel was a bit of pushing. I know in the past he may have escaped the odd deserved yellow or red but not this time. If McKeever had hit or kicked out he would have got a hell of a lot more than the minimum sentence. They would have gladly thrown the book at him.
The Armagh CB have made a complete mess of this matter which still needs to be stamped out. They should have raised the issue at the CCC meeting and possibly brought a proposal on sledging and player respect forward at the annual congress. Maybe the GPA could for once do something positive and put pressure on its members to cut out the verbal abuse dished out or we could wait for the powers at HQ to get off their asses and sort it out.   

Dont Matter

Quote from: naka on March 22, 2012, 10:14:28 PM
why should they
grimley has already said he will contest his  12 week suspension and in my view he is right, mc keever has kept his counsel in this matter to his credit

as i said i will leave it as this and we can agree to disagree

Ok, well they can contest their bans but going to the press with this story was never going to help.
I can't see how you think Grimley is right, his behaviour wasn't great afterwards but yes we can agree to disagree on that.
Let's hope everyone just moves on and forgets all about this, not good for anyone in the GAA.
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: splintered arse on March 22, 2012, 10:18:07 PM
Right lads, shake hands and pretend nothing happened. Otherwise Laois you'll get Paudi Hughes for your championship match and Armagh you'll get Mr Duffy Again.
No harm but for the Armagh County board to come out with such a strong statement was premature and foolish unless they were willing to stand by their convictions no matter what pressure was put on them, but now they look weak, pathetic sore losers.
If I was McKeever I'd be well pissed off at his CB. First they state that he was called this and that and then they say well in reflection it wasn't that bad. They should never have named him directly and ran to the press leaving him out to dry.
All that happened in the tunnel was a bit of pushing. I know in the past he may have escaped the odd deserved yellow or red but not this time. If McKeever had hit or kicked out he would have got a hell of a lot more than the minimum sentence. They would have gladly thrown the book at him.
The Armagh CB have made a complete mess of this matter which still needs to be stamped out. They should have raised the issue at the CCC meeting and possibly brought a proposal on sledging and player respect forward at the annual congress. Maybe the GPA could for once do something positive and put pressure on its members to cut out the verbal abuse dished out or we could wait for the powers at HQ to get off their asses and sort it out.   

I agree, sledging or whatever you want to call it has no place in the GAA, we all want it stamped out. Hate when I see our players do it.
Running to the papers wont get rid of it though.
I've said this before, I can see why Armagh people are aggrieved with the match and suspensions accruing from it but their county board have lost them a lot of sympathy.
Peter Quinn

Jinxy

Quote from: Dont Matter on March 22, 2012, 10:26:14 PM
Quote from: splintered arse on March 22, 2012, 10:18:07 PM

I agree, sledging or whatever you want to call it has no place in the GAA, we all want it stamped out. Hate when I see our players do it.
Running to the papers wont get rid of it though.
I've said this before, I can see why Armagh people are aggrieved with the match and suspensions accruing from it but their county board have lost them a lot of sympathy.

Lads have been winding each other up in sport since the year dot.
People would want to harden the f*ck up as the aussies would say.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

TacadoirArdMhacha

What an utterly shambolic mess. I couldn't believe the Press Release when I saw it on Tuesday and the intervening two days have been a complete circus masterminded by the clowns who dreamt up this farce. None of us know exactly what was said or done in the tunnel but those who allowed what was a fairly run-of-the-mill incident, capable of being dealt with through the usual avenues, to descend into the pathetic shambles we've been subjected to over the last couple of days should be ashamed of themselves.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead