Tyrone v Westmeath - 10/03/12 - 19.30

Started by omagh_gael, March 06, 2012, 01:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Mc caul was giving a man of the match performance till he was taken off. Tempo dropped with the subs coming in though good to see them get some game time.

loughshore lad

There is a nice freshness about Tyrone this year with the introduction of so many new players.

As often happens when running the bench Tyrone were not as fluent in the second half though Westmeath improved a bit from their complete no show in the first half.

You can only beat what's in front of you but really until Tyrone enter the Athletic Grounds in June it will be difficult to know just where they stand.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 10, 2012, 08:44:41 PM
Big win this evening, Kyle coney given man of the match by rte. Promotion must now be a certainty. Mickey is going to have a major headache picking 6 forwards in the summer if they continue this form.

Tyrone haven't bate Galway for a long time. Last 3 games big games.

ONeill

These games show why Tyrone need to be in Division 1. You don't learn a lot and you can't really be sure that your star players so far can replicate that when facing the best.

Coney finally starting to take the scores he's capable of but there were a serious amount of wides today.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: ONeill on March 10, 2012, 10:04:16 PM
These games show why Tyrone need to be in Division 1. You don't learn a lot and you can't really be sure that your star players so far can replicate that when facing the best.

Coney finally starting to take the scores he's capable of but there were a serious amount of wides today.

I agree ONeill but there is perhaps also an argument that Division 2 this season might provide a better environment initially for blooding younger players. You wouldn't want it long term though and it is certainly very important that Tyrone get back to Division 1 for next season. Playing the strongest teams in the league is without doubt the best preparation for the summer. 2 more wins will make sure now, 1 might even do, and Tyrone need to go and finish the job.

We might not be sure exactly where we stand in comparison to the best but the performances and results so far are encouraging. We have younger lads showing well, plus the likes of McCaul and McCarron who have been waiting around the panel for a good while for a chance suggesting that they are now ready to really make an impact (a bit like Penrose and Tommy in 2008 hopefully), and the likes of Mugsy looking like he can get back to his best. If we can get SON, Block and Sean Mor (and the McMahons) also back to something like their best form and mix their class and experience with the best of the upcoming talent then we will have a very nice mix indeed for the championship.

rrhf

The reason why tyrone are winning so well is that they have pace everywhere.  Everybody attacks at pace and that's hard to stop. Westmeath simply couldn't cop and the majority of teams won't.  But if we put players off the pace for one reason or another, the whole thing falls apart.  But its all going the right way so far, harte wil know conor gormley never give jamie clarke a sniff of it last year, so he certainly wants conor on standbye for armagh.

barelegs

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you rrhf. One worry I have for Tyrone at this stage is that Harte might reintroduce some of the more experienced players and that pace will be sacrificed. Tyrone are playing the best football they've played at this stage of the year for quite some time and they're getting into the kind of winning habit that benefits you in the  long run.

I'd be worried that the re-introduction some of the senior players could upset the balance they've established at the minute. It's a fine balancing act for Harte but it's one I'm sure he'll relish. I will also say that the squad at the minute is taking on a really strong look to it at the minute with plenty of options for Harte especially at midfield and in the forward line. I'd be a little worried that we're still missing a top class 'shut down' corner back but time will tell.

ONeill

Over the 9 games so far, they have an average winning margin of 7 points. Many of those games have seen Tyrone concede plenty late on due to lack of motivation. It's the best start to an inter-county season in yonks.

Left is

Away v Galway
Home v Meath
Home v Monaghan

You'd like to think they'll be put to the pin of their collar late on with one of those.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

barelegs

From a Tyrone point of view the Meath- Galway one is an interesting one today. Depending on the result one or both of these sides will be playing Tyrone with promotion still a real possibility. That should make thinks a bit more interesting. Monaghan at any stage is always a physical game so that should be a decent preparation for the championship.

Then there's the possibility of a league final after that against the next best team in the division whoever that will be. Plenty of football between now and the championship

trileacman

Quote from: barelegs on March 11, 2012, 11:21:58 AM

I'd be a little worried that we're still missing a top class 'shut down' corner back but time will tell.

This is the most important factor and something that is completely ignored by those who are fawning over play at the current time.

I've sat through many a National league and McKenna Cup and watched us sweep all before us with new names and youthful prospects. Come the Summer few of these actually make it. Attacking against Westmeath on a small wet pitch in March is one thing, defending against Cork or Dublin on a hard, fast pitch in Croker is another matter entirely.

Since about mid summer 2005 we have relied upon the All-Star capabilities of Conor Gormley to man-mark Gooch, Brogan's, Clarke, McDonnell, Bray, Coulter and all the other top 10 forwards in the GAA world. Block is now at the end of the road and I don't see the next All-star man-marker coming along. McCaul, McCarron were considered the answer at one point but now we see that attacking not defending is their forte. Quinn has been tried before and was shown up badly against a blunt enough Cork attack in '09, a year when we had real ambitions. Of the 10 backs who have played to date in this campaign mark out one who is a noteworthy defender. Our entire HB line is made up of attacking players. Our CHB Harte is not truly a defender, having played most of his career to date in the Half-Forwards. Justy has fallen out of form since '08 and the tactical move away from a bomber FF has not suited his style. The move forward up the pitch that we have all envisaged since he arrived on the scene has never materialised.

In real terms our best defence would consist of Block, Joe and probably Quinn as the axillary corner-back. Block is coming to the end of a fantastic career, Joe is a sweeper by trade not a FB (and Harte will probably not play him as the FB come summer either), Quinn is a decent defender but at all ireland level you are playing against the most lethal forwards in the game, one mistake and you'll be punished a la Cork goal '09, I'd worry about him.

This winning run and all is great but it isn't delivering to us what we really need. We'll have an ocean of half-backs and half forwards to pick form come championship, but a top-class man marker and a midfield able to combat Kerry, Dublin and Cork is what is needed. I'd rather see us lose to Meath/Galway and Quinn/McCrory give an unbelievable defensive performance than some more facile victories where the HB's run the show and our FB's stand like spectators.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Redhand Santa

Would agree that the lack of a top class man marker is a worry. McCrory has done well so far this year but still not sure how he'll do come summer and he doesn't look like an out and out marker. I think Harte will try to counter the lack of a top class marker but having a highly fit team that are able to defend and attack in numbers. This will hopefully lead to the defence being less exposed.

In the majority of games Harte has not acted as a centre half back and has effectively had a free role with McNabb dropping into defence.

rrhf

To be honest I think our defence has been fantastic certainly from winning th eball ahead of their man.  The only times we were exposed yesterday was early on form an incisive run and when Gormley got isolated, but our hording and workrate was fantastic.  I disagree with some of the comments above, Tyrone have lapsed when they have given the 4 or 5 subs gametime.  Tyrones best team available. with Stevie O Neill and possibly Clarke with Cavanagh (Sean) was out on the pitch last night.  Last Years Tyrone team couldnt live with that pace.  Mark Donnelly is flying at the moment, PJ and Mc Crory are playing great, Mc kenna had a fantastic game as well.  Petie had a quiet game by his standards but the boys round him Mc Caul and Mc Carron and Mc Nabb as well as Mc Neice were all very lively.  Amazing energy.   

rrhf

Now lets hope we get to beat Meath in a league final in Croke Park. 

trileacman

Quote from: rrhf on March 11, 2012, 02:30:51 PM
To be honest I think our defence has been fantastic certainly from winning th eball ahead of their man.  The only times we were exposed yesterday was early on form an incisive run and when Gormley got isolated, but our hording and workrate was fantastic.  I disagree with some of the comments above, Tyrone have lapsed when they have given the 4 or 5 subs gametime.  Tyrones best team available. with Stevie O Neill and possibly Clarke with Cavanagh (Sean) was out on the pitch last night.  Last Years Tyrone team couldnt live with that pace.  Mark Donnelly is flying at the moment, PJ and Mc Crory are playing great, Mc kenna had a fantastic game as well.  Petie had a quiet game by his standards but the boys round him Mc Caul and Mc Carron and Mc Nabb as well as Mc Neice were all very lively.  Amazing energy.   
It's all relative. We are playing division 2 league football against Westmeath. Dublin in an AI q-final is where I'm thinking of. I'm glad to see Mickey sweep out the dead wood and invest in youth, something I don't think he has really done since initially coming on the scene in 2003.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

rrhf

Two of tyrones best players this year weren't oplaying. Yeterday donnelly and murphy. We are going well.