All-Ireland Club Football Final - Crossmaglen v Garrycastle

Started by BennyCake, March 02, 2012, 01:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Can I just say that as a coach, and an ex player, Crossmaglen's style of football is exactly what I would always aim for as my ideal. Their support play at the back is exemplary, they don't waste a ball, and when they get to a position to deliver it they do so with low, direct ball to a forward line that is always moving. The forward has options and either pops it off or goes himself. It's simple, and brilliant to watch when they are moving well. The best I've seen at club level by miles.

Their style of play, their success and all the shit they had to put up with over the years means that they have my utmost, utmost respect as a club, and I hope one day I'm coaching a team that beats them.

haranguerer

Quote from: blast05 on April 02, 2012, 10:49:22 AM
Quote from: armaghranger12 on April 02, 2012, 09:57:17 AM
What was Garrycastles plan before the game? Why did they give Cross any more motivation for the game by breaking the parade and crashing into the cross player and trying to disrupt the photo. Silly move in the end dont you think?

Wtf .... who was trying to disrupt the photo ? Clearly a pre-planned move by Cross to delay going for the team photo until Gcastle were running out on to the pitch. Worked a treat for them as completely distracted Gcastle

Doubt strongly anyone planned anything, on either side.

sheamy

McEntee thanks Garrycastle

Tony McEntee has thanked Garrycastle for firing his players up before the throw-in at Breffni Park.

When asked by the BBC about the work he'd done to get his team fired up for Saturday's All-Ireland club final replay, the Crossmaglen boss said that their opponents' behaviour before the throw-in had made his charges doubly-determined.

A couple of scuffles broke out before the action had even started and Rangers manager McEntee says this played right into his team's hands:

"I think to be fair I'd maybe thank Garrycastle for that, for the actions at the start of the match simply revved our boys up that wee bit more."

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=165673

screenexile

Crossmaglen's performance yesterday was scary for any Club team with aspirations of an All Ireland any time soon. They were ridiculously good yesterday, fitness, execution, gameplan everything was top drawer. With only 2 players over 30 they aren't going anywhere too quickly either.

Cross will have to have an unbelievably bad day and the other team their best day to beat them!!!

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 02, 2012, 11:12:17 AM
Can I just say that as a coach, and an ex player, Crossmaglen's style of football is exactly what I would always aim for as my ideal. Their support play at the back is exemplary, they don't waste a ball, and when they get to a position to deliver it they do so with low, direct ball to a forward line that is always moving. The forward has options and either pops it off or goes himself. It's simple, and brilliant to watch when they are moving well. The best I've seen at club level by miles.

Their style of play, their success and all the shit they had to put up with over the years means that they have my utmost, utmost respect as a club, and I hope one day I'm coaching a team that beats them.

Agree 100%, very well put.

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on April 02, 2012, 01:55:17 PM
Crossmaglen's performance yesterday was scary for any Club team with aspirations of an All Ireland any time soon. They were ridiculously good yesterday, fitness, execution, gameplan everything was top drawer. With only 2 players over 30 they aren't going anywhere too quickly either.

Cross will have to have an unbelievably bad day and the other team their best day to beat them!!!

I agree with what you say but then I think of all the plaudits Portumna were getting two or three years ago and how there was no point in any other club even trying to win the All Ireland, but things don't pan out that way.  I reckon we could see a Dublin side win the All Ireland club next year, maybe even a Tyrone one.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

sheamy

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 02, 2012, 03:17:45 PM
I agree with what you say but then I think of all the plaudits Portumna were getting two or three years ago and how there was no point in any other club even trying to win the All Ireland, but things don't pan out that way.  I reckon we could see a Dublin side win the All Ireland club next year, maybe even a Tyrone one.

who in god's name would that be now?

armaghniac

Quotewho in god's name would that be now?

Ballinderry.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

blast05

Quote from: haranguerer on April 02, 2012, 11:19:04 AM
What was Garrycastles plan before the game? Why did they give Cross any more motivation for the game by breaking the parade and crashing into the cross player and trying to disrupt the photo. Silly move in the end dont you think?
Wtf .... who was trying to disrupt the photo ? Clearly a pre-planned move by Cross to delay going for the team photo until Gcastle were running out on to the pitch. Worked a treat for them as completely distracted Gcastle

Naive to think otherwise. It's not like they forgot about the photo when they came onto the pitch considering the bench and a hoard of photographers was the first thing they were faced with.

haranguerer

Quote from: blast05 on April 02, 2012, 07:29:37 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on April 02, 2012, 11:19:04 AM

Naive to think otherwise. It's not like they forgot about the photo when they came onto the pitch considering the bench and a hoard of photographers was the first thing they were faced with.

Think about it - are you suggesting they ran out, started their warm up, kept an eye so they could head for the bench when garrycastle started coming out, did so, and managed to reach it before garrycastle?

I imagine they'd have saved most of their concentration for the game rather than for exquisitely timing a mind game like that

Dougal Maguire

I'd say you got it spot on there. It's not as like it was their first All Ireland Final or anything. They know the score, team runs out onto the pitch and straight to the bench for the photo. It was uncalled for.
Careful now

Jinxy

A team like Kilmacud Crokes with all their players could beat Cross.
They beat them once already and I don't they had a full team out when they lost to Cross the last time they met.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Armamike

Quote from: Take Your Points on April 02, 2012, 09:40:03 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 02, 2012, 03:17:45 PM

There is not a club in Tyrone who could hold a candle to Cross, never mind even think about going for an AI.  In Tyrone the county team dominates everything and the clubs don't have the confidence to stand up for themselves.  In Armagh, Cross players don't even consider the county side, the club is everything to them and if you look at the current county set up there isn't much to entice any Cross player to rush back to POR or PG.  Compare the Cross game to that played by Armagh and you will see that they are lightyears apart.  Until Tony Mac has got the three in a row in the bag, Armagh will be going nowhere.
Good post.
That's just, like your opinion man.

armaghniac

QuoteIn Armagh, Cross players don't even consider the county side

TYP, I think this is a simplification. The likes of Oisin gave a great deal to the county, even before Big Joe took over and stayed there until it was clear that he wasn't wanted. It is true that the timetable for the year means that Cross players are often missing, but they give their all when they are there. This is not the case in every county with a dominant club. Jamie Clark might have a medal in his pocket, but he'll be doing it for Armagh too.

I do agree though that the Armagh setup is not that attractive. When you've played under a manager who knows what he is at, it isn't so easy to move to one who (although decent) doesn't have that clarity.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

Quote from: armaghniac on April 03, 2012, 12:33:40 AM
QuoteIn Armagh, Cross players don't even consider the county side

TYP, I think this is a simplification. The likes of Oisin gave a great deal to the county, even before Big Joe took over and stayed there until it was clear that he wasn't wanted. It is true that the timetable for the year means that Cross players are often missing, but they give their all when they are there. This is not the case in every county with a dominant club. Jamie Clark might have a medal in his pocket, but he'll be doing it for Armagh too.

I do agree though that the Armagh setup is not that attractive. When you've played under a manager who knows what he is at, it isn't so easy to move to one who (although decent) doesn't have that clarity.

The advantage to Armagh is in development of the non Cross players and giving them game time which adds to the depth on the bench. It's fair to say that on some of our league performances a little more quality on the sideline could see Armagh challenge at the top.