All-Ireland Club Football Final - Crossmaglen v Garrycastle

Started by BennyCake, March 02, 2012, 01:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emmetryan

Quote from: Armamike on April 01, 2012, 03:17:38 PM
I have nothing but respect and admiration for everything Cross have achieved but for the sake of the county side i hope they get knocked out early next year. Their success year after year is killing the county side's development.

I was actually thinking about that yesterday. That's effectively been two full seasons where Armagh didn't have the Cross players for the bulk of the league campaign and McKenna before that. Can hardly be ideal for summer. Now that being said, there should be a way where Cross can win without Armagh losing out. To me the logical route would be in condensing the club championships more, finishing before Christmas or at least long before St Patrick's Day.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

From the Bunker

Quote from: emmetryan on April 01, 2012, 04:33:24 PM
I have nothing but respect and admiration for everything Cross have achieved but for the sake of the county side i hope they get knocked out early next year. Their success year after year is killing the county side's development.

I was actually thinking about that yesterday. That's effectively been two full seasons where Armagh didn't have the Cross players for the bulk of the league campaign and McKenna before that. Can hardly be ideal for summer. Now that being said, there should be a way where Cross can win without Armagh losing out. To me the logical route would be in condensing the club championships more, finishing before Christmas or at least long before St Patrick's Day.

Someone was saying that to me not so long ago the same about Galway Hurling, they almost always have a team in the club final and the good work on creating a balance and understanding in the league is often undone bringing back in the Club players who were out.

on a foot note: The Garrycastle/Galway manager must hate the sight of Black and Amber after this weekend!

bennydorano

Quote from: ogshead on April 01, 2012, 04:30:41 PM
Quote from: Orior on April 01, 2012, 04:28:45 PM

Correct.

There's not many Cross people that will care about that!
3 in a row will be some motivation. 

magpie seanie

Dougal Maguire

+1
Careful now

whiskeysteve

aye condense the fixtures for everybody in the GAA just to suit yous boys. in the words of jim royle "my arse"  ;D
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

emmetryan

I'm a Dub, not an Armagh or Cross man and I've long thought restructuring makes sense. The wait between the provincial finals and the All Ireland semis is nuts, and the semi and final isn't a whole lot better. It's unfair on pretty much all parties involved, clubs and counties.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

our_fella

On the subject of garrycastles silly socks... Anyone know why Cross dont have tight fit jerseys?

supersub

blast05

From a discussion I had today .... shouldn't the first goal Cross got have been disallowed ? Reason being that Tom McHugh was taken out of it as he was trying to cover back ....  and ref dished out a yellow to the perpetrator after the goal ?

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Dont Matter on April 01, 2012, 11:59:39 AM
Crossmaglen, what a team. A credit to Armagh. They play the game the way it's supposed to be played. Oisín hanging around for one more or is that it?

From what I heard he will not let Paul Hearty beat him out of the most medals so you should see Oisin another season or possibly 2-3 more seasons.

Look for the THREE-PEAT next year as the team had some motivation put into them after what was said to them after the 1st match.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

sheamy

Quote from: The Trap on March 31, 2012, 06:08:31 PM
Why dont county teams try and play like Cross instead of defensive shite?

Good question. However, let's not confuse issues either. Cross drop men back as and where they are needed. You'll often see the opposition surrounded by 3-4 black and amber jerseys. They don't take it to the systematic Donegal-esque extent though.

The thing that differentiates Cross from others (well, one of the things) is their ability and willingness to kick the ball from all positions. This makes the game seem less defensive as the opposition don't have time to get back. You saw Garrycastle try to impede free kicks time after time recognizing this, knocking the ball from the kickers hands etc.

The first instinct is to kick a measured and accurate 30-40 metre pass. Drilled passes with the outside or top of the boot, not the slow curly instep ones which are easier to execute. The passes are direct and have pace on them. That takes years of practice and proper coaching.

Firstly, most county players can't do this!

Secondly, there's this fear I think in county teams of losing possession and possession being king, a lot more so than at club level. It's harder to get the ball back in intercounty football at the top level. That's why teams won't kick a ball 40 yards when there is even a 20-30% chance they'll lose it.

It'll be interesting to see now how Armagh play now with the boys back in. Back to the experiment of last year of mimicking the cross style or more of the rugby league witnessed in the recent win over Down?

Anyway, enough analysis...Cross are a joy to watch, their mental abilities to focus a lesson to all, and many congratulations to them. Brilliant stuff.

theticklemister

I take it the Armagh club league begins shortly.............just wondering do these players take a rest for while and let the second string a run of games??

armaghranger12

What was Garrycastles plan before the game? Why did they give Cross any more motivation for the game by breaking the parade and crashing into the cross player and trying to disrupt the photo. Silly move in the end dont you think?

blast05

Quote from: armaghranger12 on April 02, 2012, 09:57:17 AM
What was Garrycastles plan before the game? Why did they give Cross any more motivation for the game by breaking the parade and crashing into the cross player and trying to disrupt the photo. Silly move in the end dont you think?

Wtf .... who was trying to disrupt the photo ? Clearly a pre-planned move by Cross to delay going for the team photo until Gcastle were running out on to the pitch. Worked a treat for them as completely distracted Gcastle