Kilkenny county board and football

Started by Jinxy, February 29, 2012, 10:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: Orchardman on March 04, 2012, 04:49:08 PM
Yes i stand by it. Hope ur not making a big deal out the 'law onto themselves' comment, i assume ur smart enough to get the general point. I'm a football man first and foremost, we dont have a hurling club. Kilkenny don't want to bother too much with football, so what? what is it to you

you have spouted plenty of shite on here before urself

Care to give examples or are you just spouting more rubbish?

What's your general point?? The issue here is not that Kilkenny are bad but hat they are so bad that
they can't be putting in any effort. IMO if that's the case then the amount of funding they receive must be looked at as football provides a good portion of that money. The equivalent hurling scoreline for the Fermanagh game would be something like 17-50 to 0-6 and I'd doubt Offaly, a mid ranked hurling team, would beat any low ranked team by that but a mid to low team like fermanagh did that to Kilkenny.

Orchardman

My general point is obvious and very simple, that i don't care if kilkenny don't bother putting any effort into football. Other people do seem bothered by it, and if we had more kilkenny people on here (this is the football board), then there might be a more balanced argument.

Tommy carr saying it's not fair on the likes of tipp who are putting great effort into football, as well as hurling, and i fully understand that point. At the same time, some forget kilkenny is half the size of tipp, quite a small county. Let them be good at what their doing.

The kilkenny chairman was able to put tommy wrong about the structures in place for football in kilkenny by the way, he gave plenty of figures about primary school comp, development squad numbers etc money is being spent. If the best lads want to play hurling, let them!

Zulu

Do you care if counties don't put any effort into hurling?

Do you care if counties are getting funded by football money yet seem to be treating it with contempt?

Do you care that the money they get from Croke park could be used by other counties who would develop football?

I'm not putting the boot into Kilkenny and I'm not too bothered whether they are good at football or not but I am bothered of they are fielding teams simply for funding and I am bothered if there are lads who want to play football but their CB or clubs are actively hampering that. Only 30 lads can line out for their senior hurlers so they can field a half decent division 4 team IC they want.

north_antrim_hound

I know this view is going to be met with some dismissal, but i think killkennys standard in football takes away some of the credit of there hurling success. Imagine how your county would do if they focused solely on one discipline. In kilkenny anybody who has in intrest in anything other than hurling is frowned upon, from an early age they are encouraged to pursue only thing for a good reason in there eyes. every thing else can have a detrimental effect on there preferred code. The press and great for eulogies and praise for there manager and hurlers without the consideration they have a serious advantage over the opposition in this respect
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

AZOffaly

I agree to a certain extent that it certainly make it easier to focus on one code, which is why dual counties that compete at a high-mid level in both are to be applauded in one sense.

However, there are plenty of football counties who pay lip service at best to hurling. Are their Football successes also to be viewed as flawed because they don't devote a lot of effort and expense to hurling?

Quite a lot of Ulster and Connacht counties are open to this charge.

Orchardman

Quote from: Zulu on March 04, 2012, 05:34:40 PM

Do you care if counties don't put any effort into hurling?

Do you care if counties are getting funded by football money yet seem to be treating it with contempt?

Do you care that the money they get from Croke park could be used by other counties who would develop football?
I'm not putting the boot into Kilkenny and I'm not too bothered whether they are good at football or not but I am bothered of they are fielding teams simply for funding and I am bothered if there are lads who want to play football but their CB or clubs are actively hampering that. Only 30 lads can line out for their senior hurlers so they can field a half decent division 4 team IC they want.

Do you care if counties don't put any effort into hurling?  i've got used to it at this stage, over half the counties in ireland would have a weak hurling set up. Armagh have invested a fair bit the past decade to raise standards and i'm glad to see it. Cavan don't enter a senior team any more, it happens. They have enough on their plate getting good at football again, which i hope they do.

Do you care if counties are getting funded by football money yet seem to be treating it with contempt? maybe, i would need to see the exact details of this if cash is being wildly spent in the wrong

Do you care that the money they get from Croke park could be used by other counties who would develop football? same answer as above

AZOffaly hit the nail on the head. Offaly, limerick and others are trying to do well at both, and i've great time for counties who can do that. For anyone to say it takes away from kilkennys hurling success is a joke, no body ever mentioned it about tyrone being crap at hurling

imtommygunn

In a lot of counties you tend to find that there is a divide in areas where football is very much the preference in one area and hurling in the other. That is very much the case in antrim where the cushendalls / loughgiels wouldn't have a football team at all and some of the other big teams wouldn't put as much emphasis on the football. This is likewise with a lot of clubs concentrating on football and hurling taking a back seat. This almost means you're working from a different player pool. There will undoubtedly be an overlap somewhere but it's not that great.

I *think* Tipperary would have certain areas which favour the football meaning they will always have a pool of players who will dedicate themselves to the football meaning there isn't too much of an overlap there either.

I can't speak for Offaly though from the outside looking in it looks to be different clubs competing in football and hurling. In the case of Kilkenny I don't think there would be many, if any, clubs who would favour the football.

I don't think it's fair to say a county hurling team can have 30 players so the rest should play football if they can. If you're player 31 or you're a young boy coming through on the edge of the KK panel I'd have thought you'd want to be playing all the club hurling you can so Cody can keep his eye on you for the next year.

I think it's a very difficult problem for them with the football and it's very easy to say they're a disgrace but I'm not sure if it's necessarily the case.

AZOffaly

It's true to say that most counties have areas which are stonger in one than the other, but the issue is whether the county board at least facilitates and promotes both. In Offaly, the south (really West) Offaly would be seen as hurling heartland, whereas North (East) Offaly would be football. However, Offaly teams would have the odd few lads from areas not traditionally associated with the code, like Birr lads on the football teams, Tullamore and Edenderry lads on hurling etc.

Tipperary is similar, North is very much hurling, while South and West are more football. Mid is more hurling but A North amalgamated team is Senior Champions, there were reps from the North on the All Ireland Minor team, and a team from North won the Junior Championship this year too. There is certainly an emphasis on spreading football in Tipp at underage level.

All counties have it to a certain extent, even the likes of Galway and Cork (East Galway - hurling, North and West - football) (West Cork - Football), Limerick (West - Football, East - Hurling), but the County Board is supposed to facilitate the development of both. In Kilkenny that does not seem to be the way for football, just as several football counties seem to treat hurling as a necessary evil.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Orchardman on March 04, 2012, 03:59:41 PM
if kilkenny really had to beat any of the ulster or connaught teams (apart from galway) by 50 points i would bet they could easily.

Why are you comparing Kilkenny hurlers to what happened today? Kilkenny lost by 46 points to another Div 4 team today.

trileacman

If Tyrone GAA turned around tomorrow and said they were going to abandon hurling coaching at all levels as it was a drain on resources and players, they would be, quite rightly, pillared for it. They would have good reason for it too, hurling uses our pitches, money and players without any great success at inter-county level.

Tyrone hurling might be shit but at least they make an attempt at it, Kilkenny are treating football with complete and utter contempt. It's almost as though they enjoy these embarrassments, proving to themselves how unworthy football is of their attention.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

AZOffaly

"Hurling uses our pitches"

Huh? Hurling has as much a right to those pitches as football. It's a GAA pitch.

But you are right. Cavan got grief for abandoning senior hurling, rightly so, but at least they are trying to do something at underage. Kilkenny give the appearance of entering a team because they have to, and would really prefer not to. I mean if it's true that the Under 21s didn't even train together, how is that putting in an effort?

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on March 01, 2012, 04:29:21 PM
Quote from: Hardy on March 01, 2012, 04:10:29 PM
I don't know - I've never done it, but again, it doesn't look that hard.

"If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient" - Lady Catherine de Bourgh on playing the piano, Pride and Prejudice

That is way too intellectual, dude
Tony Baloney will be on to you.

imtommygunn

Quote from: trileacman on March 04, 2012, 10:00:15 PM
They would have good reason for it too, hurling uses our pitches, money and players without any great success at inter-county level.
Going by this rationale then most counties should give up either code?!

seafoid

The RTE radio treatment of the subject is good

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/mediaplayer.html?features,3217533,3217533,flash,257

The first few minutes sound like a post nuclear wasteland for gaelic football

Of course hurling is more sophisticated  .
It's like having a big controversy over kids who refuse to eat chips.

Orchardman

Quote from: trileacman on March 04, 2012, 10:00:15 PM
If Tyrone GAA turned around tomorrow and said they were going to abandon hurling coaching at all levels as it was a drain on resources and players, they would be, quite rightly, pillared for it.

this is my point though, are you saying kilkenny don't do any football coaching? whatever about the lack of under 21 training, i heard the evidence that they have plenty of effort going on from primary to under 16 level.

I know i mentioned cavan earlier, and I think their right to take their team and focus on the younger age groups if they are trying to make an effort,fair enough.