Irish dancing (7 steps?)

Started by ardal, February 29, 2012, 05:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardal

Tried to google the help, but couldn't get what I wanted.

Would like to teach some non-Irish kids Irish dancing.
I can't dance
Someone mentioned the "7 steps" as being really easy and for dummies.

Can you point me in the right direction,

pretty please

LeoMc

In front
Behind
In front

That is about as much as I remember.

brokencrossbar1

"Lamh suas, aon, do, trí, cailín faoí, aon do trí"

Bate into us!!!!

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

I was watching Feherty last night and he commented that the English invented Irish dancing. They stuck a spud up our arse and we had to get it out without using our hands.

brokencrossbar1

ONeill

Anyone who sends their child out with thon wig and dolled up is no better than the Yanks on the TV show the wife watches who enter their 3-year old into a beauty contest.

ardchieftain

I was made to attempt this at the Gaeltacht. I'm still traumatised.
On a brighter note, my shrink reckons i should make a full recovery in a decade or so...........

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on February 29, 2012, 06:27:58 PM
Anyone who sends their child out with thon wig and dolled up is no better than the Yanks on the TV show the wife watches who enter their 3-year old into a beauty contest.
Agree 100%. Disgusting spectacle nowadays with youngsters wearing makeup, fake tan and those f**king daft wigs. Money making scam like anything else associated with the oul sod.

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 29, 2012, 07:38:49 PM
Quote from: ONeill on February 29, 2012, 06:27:58 PM
Agree 100%. Disgusting spectacle nowadays with youngsters wearing makeup, fake tan and those f**king daft wigs. Money making scam like anything else associated with the oul sod.

+1 and the more commercial costumes are hideous.

Pangurban

A manufactured irish cultural activity, dominated by elites and puritans, with rules and mores which have no legitimate basis. The true form of Irish dance, with legitimate roots is Step Dancing Sean-Nos style

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: ardal on February 29, 2012, 05:00:07 PM

I can't dance

pretty please

The 7 steps would be "hop, 2 3 4 5 6 7"

The hop counting as one.  Then It's basically putting one foot out (2) then tucking the other one behind it (3) and then repeat 2+3 another two times.

ardal

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on February 29, 2012, 08:02:27 PM
Quote from: ardal on February 29, 2012, 05:00:07 PM

I can't dance

pretty please

The 7 steps would be "hop, 2 3 4 5 6 7"

The hop counting as one.  Then It's basically putting one foot out (2) then tucking the other one behind it (3) and then repeat 2+3 another two times.

Ok Cuervo, you seem to know what you're talking. Any chance you've have a link or youtube type of thing.

I'm no longer living in Ireland, have founded and maintained a GAA club with only locals supporting it, so no I'm not thinking of beauty fecking pagents, just a bit of craic for the kids, and a wee bit more of cultural based education.

ONeill

screenexile