Tommy Lyons and Mayo payment row

Started by Benny Sweeney, February 24, 2012, 10:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Hound on February 24, 2012, 02:28:37 PM
Didnt realise he was wealthy. How did he manage that?

Well relatively speaking - he owns a large company in Parkwest.

the architect

Did you see prime time last night: http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/mediaplayer.html?features,3194746,3194746,flash,247

There was a good point made about the GAA director starting to get paid in the last decade or so. Would anyone have information on how much the top brass in HQ are getting paid? It would put a lot of perspective on the payment to managers debate.

Painful to admit it but the only way to make payments to managers ok is to accept it and regulate it. This will inevitably in turn prompt a debate on pay for play whether its next year or ten years from now.

southsidejohnny

Well if we are thrown out we can enjoy the summer free from hype and expectation....along with about 30 other counties.

omagh_gael

Would i be right in thinking the president gets his salary matched to the job he left to take up office?

Rossfan

Yes.
Hopefully a Chief Executive of a Multinational never gets to be Uachtarán
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

QuoteWhen I was there (Mayo) and I was interviewed for the job, I was asked to put it in an envelope what I wanted to get paid for doing the job and I told him what part of 'I didn't want to get paid' did he not understand?

It sounds to me more like the interviewers were offering him some rope with which he would hang himself, but he didn't take it. They probably thought he was too smart to fall for the trap, until now.

They neither offered him any amount of money nor paid him any, this is a nothing story.
MWWSI 2017

DuffleKing

Tommy Lyons should be banned from all competitions and media coverage of them for life...

Lar Naparka

What strikes me as odd about Tommy's account is that, apparently, there was no follow up.
I mean if the official asked Tommy to name the price was he willing to sell his soul and told him to put it in writing and Tommy was so outraged that he retorted with his take of Gerry Adams, what happened next?
Surely to God, one or other of the pair said, "WTF are you on about ya muppet?" (sorry muppet) or something like that.  But, according to Tommy, that was the end of that and the interview, if that is what it was, continued on as if nothing untoward had happened.

I think I know why the official would want to know what amount Lyons was looking for and wasn't necessarily talking about under the table arrangements either.

Waldron gave his reasons for the board wanting to discuss expenses with Tommy Lyons and he probably did the same to all prospective managers. They were probably thinking of Mickey Moran when they did so.
When Mickey and Beefer took up the job, it seems there had been no hard and fast arrangement about the costs that would be incurred in running the team. The board, Sean Feeney in particular, were shocked when Mickey started clocking up unexpectedly large bills for overnight hotel stays for away games and decent meals after every match instead of hang sandwiches and flasks of tay in the changing rooms and the likes.
Feeney went ballistic, or bear sick as my old granny used to call it, and also went public about his concerns at cost overruns.
I think it's reasonable to say the board looked for detailed breakdowns from John O'Mahony and James Horan of their proposed expenses and from anyone else who was interviewed for the manager's job since the departure of Mickey..
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Fair enough, people don't like Tommy Lyons. You could afix almost any inter-county manager's name and you'd still get a raft of snide comments so that's hardly the issue - this is a rampant problem and Mayo just happen to be the county caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Nothing more, nothing less.

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on February 25, 2012, 12:21:56 AM
Fair enough, people don't like Tommy Lyons. You could afix almost any inter-county manager's name and you'd still get a raft of snide comments so that's hardly the issue - this is a rampant problem and Mayo just happen to be the county caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Nothing more, nothing less.

But they actually haven't.

Lyons claims they were offering him loads of dosh.
He said he, in turn, offered to do it for nothing.
They turned him down.

Does this really make sense? Were they going to offer him the job only on condition that he demanded loads of money?
MWWSI 2017

Tubberman

Even if Tommy Lyons account is correct, it just means the mayo board asked him if wanted money to do the job.
It doesn't mean they offered him money to do the job.
Big difference.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."