Rangers FC to go into administration

Started by Lecale2, February 13, 2012, 03:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Deiseach, I think when the dust has settled you'll feel a bit embarrassed by this one  8)

brokencrossbar1

I can't believe the consternation that this whole thing has caused on here.  I go back to my earlier statement and deiseach's very succinct response.

Quote from: deiseach on January 21, 2015, 09:33:52 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 21, 2015, 09:30:36 AM
New stick, same shit.

Pithy ;D

deiseach

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 22, 2015, 04:02:55 PM
I can't believe the consternation that this whole thing has caused on here.  I go back to my earlier statement and deiseach's very succinct response.

New stick, same shit.

Pithy ;D

Not so pithy.

Franko

I don't think for a second that anyone particularly gives a shit about the club in the thread title (hence we've spent longer discussing Wimbledon and Liverpool).  It's the debate around what makes a club that's caused the fuss.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: deiseach on January 22, 2015, 04:03:28 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 22, 2015, 04:02:55 PM

New stick, same shit.

Pithy ;D

Not so pithy.

And that's a real pithy!

Franko

Quote from: gallsman on January 22, 2015, 03:49:49 PM
Quote from: Franko on January 22, 2015, 03:47:08 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 22, 2015, 03:42:02 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 22, 2015, 03:20:22 PM
Oh yeah, there is also this from their official site. Deiseach, maybe they are not that admirable at all after all.

Club Honours

The supporters of AFC Wimbledon believe that our club is a continuation of the spirit which formed Wimbledon Old Centrals in 1889 and kept Wimbledon Football Club alive until May 2002. We consider that a football club is not simply the legal entity which controls it, but that it is the community formed by the fans and players working towards a common goal. We therefore reproduce the honours won by what we believe was, and will always be, 'our' club, in our community.

1894-95 Joined South London League

Read more at http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/club/clubhonours/index.aspx#c4FZxbcKXlwU7pEo.99

I think there was something similar to the American process of "handing back" the history a few year's ago, at least from the MK Dons side.

So if the Rangers administrators 'handed back' the history of the club to Sevco, everything would be OK?  Oh dear.

Did I say anything of the sort? I couldn't give two shites about newco/oldco/sevco or whatever and struggle to understand anyone on this board who does. I merely raised a point pertinent to the particular discussion.

That's debatable.

deiseach

We're definitely going around in circles on this one, so I'll summarise my position on old and new clubs by looking to a potential future, specifically the potential future of Hereford FC. If they get their act together (Wiki suggests it's still all up in the air) and the day comes when they reach the third round of the FA Cup against Newcastle United, you're going to have repeated showings of Ronnie Radford and pitch invasions by small kids and bulls paraded around Edgar Street before the game. Should they pull off a giant-killing act, all of the above will get mentioned in the post-game coverage. And why not? It's all good fun, people's memories are part of the occasion and I wouldn't deny it to anyone.

None of it would mean that Newcastle were beaten on both occasions by the same club.

gallsman

Quote from: Franko on January 22, 2015, 04:25:15 PM
Oh yeah, there is also this from their official site. Deiseach, maybe they are not that admirable at all after all.

Club Honours

The supporters of AFC Wimbledon believe that our club is a continuation of the spirit which formed Wimbledon Old Centrals in 1889 and kept Wimbledon Football Club alive until May 2002. We consider that a football club is not simply the legal entity which controls it, but that it is the community formed by the fans and players working towards a common goal. We therefore reproduce the honours won by what we believe was, and will always be, 'our' club, in our community.

Read more at http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/club/clubhonours/index.aspx#c4FZxbcKXlwU7pEo.99

I think there was something similar to the American process of "handing back" the history a few year's ago, at least from the MK Dons side.

So if the Rangers administrators 'handed back' the history of the club to Sevco, everything would be OK?  Oh dear.

Did I say anything of the sort? I couldn't give two shites about newco/oldco/sevco or whatever and struggle to understand anyone on this board who does. I merely raised a point pertinent to the particular discussion.

That's debatable.

It's a discussion board - debate away. Given the conversation was around Wimbledon/MK Dons/AFC Wimbledon and laying claim to history, I think you'd struggle but feel free to knock yourself out.

Franko

Quote from: deiseach on January 22, 2015, 04:27:07 PM
We're definitely going around in circles on this one, so I'll summarise my position on old and new clubs by looking to a potential future, specifically the potential future of Hereford FC. If they get their act together (Wiki suggests it's still all up in the air) and the day comes when they reach the third round of the FA Cup against Newcastle United, you're going to have repeated showings of Ronnie Radford and pitch invasions by small kids and bulls paraded around Edgar Street before the game. Should they pull off a giant-killing act, all of the above will get mentioned in the post-game coverage. And why not? It's all good fun, people's memories are part of the occasion and I wouldn't deny it to anyone.

None of it would mean that Newcastle were beaten on both occasions by the same club.

I guarantee that to most Hereford fans that's exactly what it will mean.

foxcommander

Quote from: gallsman on January 22, 2015, 04:42:38 PM

Club Honours

That's debatable.

It's a discussion board - debate away. Given the conversation was around Wimbledon/MK Dons/AFC Wimbledon and laying claim to history, I think you'd struggle but feel free to knock yourself out.

Rangers should have been made play in orange jumpsuits as what they did was a criminal act.
They'd like the colour at least.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Franko

Quote from: gallsman on January 22, 2015, 04:42:38 PM

Club Honours

That's debatable.

It was a token gesture.

From the legal perspective the new club has no connection to the old club and the club's 'history' was exactly that.
From the fans' perspective they owned the club's 'history' anyway.

Either way the 'handing back' was totally irrelevant.

muppet

I think the 'Club' is the legal entity.

In Ireland, clubs seek liquor licenses and, for example, fire certificates from the authorities. Thus they are legally recognised. In that regard, does closing a club and opening a new one creates a new legal entity?

Take the above with a grain of salt though.
MWWSI 2017

tiempo

"As Celtic supporters, we regrettably recognise that our club had an association with Rangers (1872) through the collective descriptive term, The Old Firm."

Haha, got a little tickle from this, fair play, a hammering for Sevco Scotland Ltd in the cup semi-final would go down a treat. Maybe all future meetings will be under the banner of The New Firm, regrettably.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-fans-spark-storm-protest-5040733

illdecide

Talking to a few Rangers fans over the weekend and they're not looking forward to this match, they fear getting a hiding but I doubt it would get to that. Celtic def have a better team but it's a one off cup game and anything can happen but I still have to say Celtic will win 2-0 (doesn't bear thinking them hoors winning that match)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

deiseach

Quote from: tiempo on January 26, 2015, 12:15:42 AM
"As Celtic supporters, we regrettably recognise that our club had an association with Rangers (1872) through the collective descriptive term, The Old Firm."

Haha, got a little tickle from this, fair play, a hammering for Sevco Scotland Ltd in the cup semi-final would go down a treat. Maybe all future meetings will be under the banner of The New Firm, regrettably.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-fans-spark-storm-protest-5040733

Deeply foolish behaviour. I'd compare it to sticking your arm through the bars at the ape enclosure at the zoo - except the apes would be less prone to mindless violence.