Rangers FC to go into administration

Started by Lecale2, February 13, 2012, 03:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 13, 2012, 03:02:31 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 11, 2012, 10:47:17 AM

if Celtic and Rangers were wiped of the planet, there would still be massive problems in scotland with violence and tribalism- would you not agree?

They wouldn't be any where near as severe.  it costs the police £2.4 million to police the old firm fixture.  Domestic violence increases massively around the fixture.

The Old Firm aren't independent of Scotland's social problems, rather, they act as an intensifier and mulitplier by throwing extra bigotry and tribalism into areas where poverty, alcoholism etc are already rife.
What a load of bull (or sheep)!
I think we can take it, that you act as intensifier and multiplier to some of the most banal and lazy analysis of what constitutes bigotry and tribalism.
And no wonder, you really can't climb an inch away from your own prejudices.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 12, 2012, 06:25:42 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 12, 2012, 01:32:50 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 11, 2012, 09:55:43 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 11, 2012, 09:49:02 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 11, 2012, 09:00:53 PM
I'd say it's more the case that "green, white & gold" rolls off the tongue more easily than "green, white and orange".

I think there's more to it than that. The flag was idealistic and the reality never lived up to the idealism.
How many Orangepeople identify with the tricolour? It is supposed to be their flag too.

The "Green, White and Gold" brigade always seemed to me to be the domain of 6 county folk, conservative Catholics and the ill-informed.

You are one complete bollocks.

I assume you are merely reiterating something you knew long ago, and that it hasn't taken you until now to realise this?!

Harangeurer just seen your response, it made me laugh  ;D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

charlieTully

Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 13, 2012, 03:02:31 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 11, 2012, 10:47:17 AM

if Celtic and Rangers were wiped of the planet, there would still be massive problems in scotland with violence and tribalism- would you not agree?

They wouldn't be any where near as severe.  it costs the police £2.4 million to police the old firm fixture.  Domestic violence increases massively around the fixture.

The Old Firm aren't independent of Scotland's social problems, rather, they act as an intensifier and mulitplier by throwing extra bigotry and tribalism into areas where poverty, alcoholism etc are already rife.

breaking news- the heroin problem in the schemes of edinburgh have been caused by two football clubs in glasgow, these clubs are known as the old firm, it is also alledged they are directly responsible for HIV, unempolyment and large swathes of the population running around drinking from purple tins.

Forever Green

Would you`s hurry the f**k on and die ya crowd of sc**bag bastards

theskull1

Admit it....... you'd be like a dog without a bone
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Main Street

The clear accountable fact of history in Scotland, is that Celtic fc has been there as a focal point for Irish and Irish/Scottish ethnic groups and has had a immeasurable positive effect in raising the dignity of the diaspora. It may not be a crime to be Irish in Scotland, neither is discrimination a significant social factor these days, however it surely is regarded as a lower form of humankind to be Irish, it's something to taunt, to mock. Go to Aberdeen, the natives taunt the Celts with 'you're in the wrong country'.
Football is just another place where that hatred/ mocking ignorance from Scots towards Irish ethnicity, manifests itself.

In the mainstream of Scottish media opinion, this is what passes for intelligent comment,
"The problem with a large section of the Celtic support is that they do not think of themselves as Scots. They will tell you that they are Irish or Scots-Irish, whatever that's supposed to be."
'this fixation with Ireland which so many Scots have, makes my blood boil.'

When Scotland played Ireland 7 or 8 years ago at Hamden pk, how the redkneck Scottish bumpkins were outraged by the sight/sound of thousands of native Scots supporting Ireland.

Quite simply it boils down to one main prejudice held by the more primitive Scots
against those who have  Irish ethnicity in Scotland  or a Scots/Irish identity.
When that Celtic fan accepted that UEFA award for the supporters, he said  something to the effect that 'all over Europe we are welcomed, yet at home everywhere we go its hostile,  every expression/ celebration of our culture, our identity, is seen as a threat, even a sectarian threat.'

Yeah, maybe those all those Celts should keep quiet about their Irishness. How dare they sing old rebel folk songs, sing the 'soldiers song', wave the tricolour ::) 
Even in Lisbon 1967, those Celtic hordes were waving the tricolour, a perceived blight on many a scottish tv screen  ;D

Forever Green

So, ya know this fighting fund donation thing that the huns are giving money to save the club? Well apparently, quite a few of them have donated their money to the wrong paypal account. They were suppose to be sending the money to @thebluenose.co.uk  but instead they sent the money to  @bluenose.co.uk which is a company that hires out clowns

They donated their money to clowns

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

muppet

Quote from: Forever Green on March 14, 2012, 12:05:50 AM
So, ya know this fighting fund donation thing that the huns are giving money to save the club? Well apparently, quite a few of them have donated their money to the wrong paypal account. They were suppose to be sending the money to @thebluenose.co.uk  but instead they sent the money to  @bluenose.co.uk which is a company that hires out clowns

They donated their money to clowns

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Still better than Clowen.
MWWSI 2017

Applesisapples

Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 09, 2012, 03:57:17 PM
Quote from: deiseach on March 09, 2012, 03:53:07 PM
Quote from: camanchero on March 09, 2012, 03:18:33 PM
- what songs celebrate blowing people up- I dont know too many and certainly never heard them sung at CP.

Really? You've never heard any "ooh, aah, up the 'RA" chants from Celtic fans?

Old Firm supporters are renowned for their selective hearing.  Your average celtic fan can hear the word fenian whispered from over 500yds away but not hear Sean South* being given full volume in the stadium they're standing in.

*I know this song doesn't celebrate blowing people up, it celebrates a British Army victory  :P
RUC actually.

Applesisapples

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 11, 2012, 09:55:43 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 11, 2012, 09:49:02 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 11, 2012, 09:00:53 PM
I'd say it's more the case that "green, white & gold" rolls off the tongue more easily than "green, white and orange".

I think there's more to it than that. The flag was idealistic and the reality never lived up to the idealism.
How many Orangepeople identify with the tricolour? It is supposed to be their flag too.

The "Green, White and Gold" brigade always seemed to me to be the domain of 6 county folk, conservative Catholics and the ill-informed.
Ballocks, no one with any sense of history or their nationality would say green white and gold...accept perhaps Offaly folk.

charlieTully

Quote from: Main Street on March 14, 2012, 12:01:47 AM
The clear accountable fact of history in Scotland, is that Celtic fc has been there as a focal point for Irish and Irish/Scottish ethnic groups and has had a immeasurable positive effect in raising the dignity of the diaspora. It may not be a crime to be Irish in Scotland, neither is discrimination a significant social factor these days, however it surely is regarded as a lower form of humankind to be Irish, it's something to taunt, to mock. Go to Aberdeen, the natives taunt the Celts with 'you're in the wrong country'.
Football is just another place where that hatred/ mocking ignorance from Scots towards Irish ethnicity, manifests itself.

In the mainstream of Scottish media opinion, this is what passes for intelligent comment,
"The problem with a large section of the Celtic support is that they do not think of themselves as Scots. They will tell you that they are Irish or Scots-Irish, whatever that's supposed to be."

When Scotland played Ireland 7 or 8 years ago at Hamden pk, how the redkneck Scottish bumpkins were outraged by the sight/sound of thousands of native Scots supporting Ireland.

Quite simply it boils down to one main prejudice held by the more primitive Scots
When that Celtic fan accepted that UEFA award for the supporters, he said  something to the effect that 'all over Europe we are welcomed, yet at home everywhere we go its hostile,  every expression/ celebration of our culture, our identity, is seen as a threat, even a sectarian threat.'

Yeah, maybe those all those Celts should keep quiet about their Irishness. How dare they sing old rebel folk songs, sing the 'soldiers song', wave the tricolour ::) 
Even in Lisbon 1967, those Celtic hordes were waving the tricolour, a perceived blight on many a scottish tv screen  ;D

excellent post, keep them coming main street.

deiseach

Quote from: Main Street on March 14, 2012, 12:01:47 AM

Good post, Main Street, although the reference to 'primitive Scots' is a bit OTT. Do you think it's impossible to dislike Celtic independent of an ingrained hatred of the Irish? Surely there are plenty of people whose motivation is that Celtic are part of the Old Firm and they couldn't care less about Celtic roots . . . ?

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: lynchbhoy on March 11, 2012, 10:53:58 AM
no problem. Im not going to fully agree on a lot of that and think you have twisted some of the stuff I've said int he past for your reply. But thats opinions and neither really matter.
I will point out that the part about the Tricolour is in response to how I saw your post - thats how it read to me at least and obv Main Street also.
Maybe I was being pedantic about your notion that the songs referenced 'bombing'. But again one mans killer is another mans fredom fighter so I dont expect you to understand that either - or the discussion regarding the historical timleine surrounding the crafting of Irish rebel songs.

Celtic may be better than rangers (or some of them) or maybe not - but imo there is a whole lot more to scotish violence (and all the other clubs) and their societal problems than plain bigotry.
any culture that has deep fried mars bars on the menu at a restaurant has to have serious questions levelled at it (thats a bit of an attempt at humour in case you go mad about poking fun at the food in jockoland!)

one last thing - I cant resist this...
you could be right, I may know nothing about soccer - but 'charlie mulgrew' !!!
;)
(though imo he still isnt great but....) :D

I need to repeat Lynchbhoy that I never made any suggestion at all that the flag was sectarian (go back to the original post, it's clear enough) and I think Main Street only picked up on the point that because you then asked me to explain how the flag was sectarian, when I hadn't said that in the first place!

I quite agree with you on the point about one man's freedom fighter being another's terrorist but that is completely irrelevant. I already made the point that we are not debating whether or not the IRA were terrorists or freedom fighters, but simply that Celtic fans sing songs that celebrate blowing people up, which you have now accepted. I also understand very well the timeline of Irish rebel songs. Ultimately a lot (all) of this is just being dragged way off topic. I can assure you however that bigotry (whether you agree or not on the extent of it) is the reason that the OF are disliked by the majority of non OF Scottish football fans.

I disagree strongly with Main Street that being Irish or of Irish stock in Scotland is something for which people are mocked, or seen as a "lower form of humankind". That is certainly not my experience. I think he has something with Celtic being a focal point for the Irish in Scotland but as I have argued previously I don't think they have always been a positive focal point, and this has contributed to many of their supporters having a very narrow minded view of Ireland.

I also agree strongly with London Camanachd's post that without the OF that Scotland's bigotry issue would be nowhere near as bad. I actually don't think there is any debate on that matter - the OF have perpetuated an issue which would most likely have pretty much died away otherwise. I know plenty of lads who as kids were just football fans but when they started actually attending matches at Ibrox/Parkhead took an interest in the rest of the sh*te.

Charlie Mulgrew Lynchbhoy  ;D Well I totally stand by opinion on him! A cracking left foot but weak defensively. I think I actually said that he might do well in a team like Celtic who are often dominant and where his defensive issues at full back wouldn't be tested as they were with other clubs. That allows him to concentrate on the attacking side of his game. Where I will give him and Lennon credit is for the move to centre half. Again I wouldn't trust him there if under real pressure (and he has made a few howlers when he was pressurised) but he has been effective there for Celtic. I think playing with Celtic allows him to make the most of his attributes and probably hides his weaknesses, and in that respect he has been a decent bit of business for Lennon.

More importantly however we should be laughing at Rangers on this thread - like this halfwit who really brightened up my day ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pDk75Y1SZ4&feature=player_embedded

ziggysego

Good news, Linfield have agreed to play a friendly against Rangers to raise cash for the club. RANGERS ARE SAVED!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17379986
Testing Accessibility

deiseach

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 14, 2012, 11:56:36 PM
More importantly however we should be laughing at Rangers on this thread - like this halfwit who really brightened up my day ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pDk75Y1SZ4&feature=player_embedded