Mayo V Dublin - Castlebar - 11/02/12

Started by m@yoman, February 09, 2012, 07:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Thankfully I've a season ticket. I assume it will go ahead next weekend. But bloody hell Mayo's decision making was woeful. We were getting beat sick all over the place. Keith Higgins can hold his head high though. Clarke made an excellent save. God help us if the Brogans B + A Brogan start next time out. Mayo have an awful lot to do.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 11, 2012, 09:18:08 PM
Thankfully I've a season ticket. I assume it will go ahead next weekend. But bloody hell Mayo's decision making was woeful. We were getting beat sick all over the place. Keith Higgins can hold his head high though. Clarke made an excellent save. God help us if the Brogans B + A Brogan start next time out. Mayo have an awful lot to do.

Railway cup on next weekend & Fergal will be picking mostly Mayo players.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Sam2011

No harm from a Mayo point of view the game was called off but frustrating for the Dubs.
The backs were shocking god help them if the Brogans are playing the next day. O'Reily and Keane were way off their men but I supposed they are very inexperienced. Keegan was good on the ball. Higgins was the best of the backs. Feeney was good when he came on. Vaughan was alright. Midfield was good. Dillon and Mort were back to their bad ways again. The rest of the forwards were alright. Overall a very poor showing from Mayo.
The McCarthy and Freeman incident there was tension brewing there all night so wasn't a suprise one of them was sent off although it was quiet harsh on him.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: nephinman on February 11, 2012, 09:09:57 PM
"What is the story with the re-scheduled game? Will there be a charge in. Got no ticket tonight!"

CCC to meet on monday to decide on replay. When game abandoned announcement made, patrons asked to hold onto tickets, but poor devils had did not have stubs as entire ticket handed in. Some fun there.

Armagh v Dublin was called off a few years back with many supporters already in the ground. The next match had free entry so presumably the same principle will apply.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Farrandeelin

Maybe so TAM but Mayo Co board will want to get as much money to pay off the debts accrued on McHale Park. Actually forgot about Railway Cup. Could they not do without Mayo players??

saffronandblue

Great eye opener for Mayo.  Two of the full back line were not up to it, they got their chance, now is the time for others to get a run.......Connolly was running riot from the start....Horan was far to slow to change his marker and when he did, he picked the wrong man to move across.  Shades of the game against Kerry with men getting roasted and markers not been moved.  Once Higgins went onto Connolly for even a couple of minutes he went totally out of the game.  Was he the only one at the game who did not recognise the threat would come from Connolly and Mcm....he should have got his pairings right from the start.

Barry Moran caught the eye and I hope he gets rewarded with the midfield slot for an extended run.  His partner in the middle has learned little over the winter and is still far too slow to move the ball along.  The most disappointing thing for me was 1. The shooting of the Mayo forwards and 2. Our apparent lack of a Kickout strategy, or am I missing something on this one.  I hope Mayo were just flat for this one, because if not, we are a million miles away from winning an All - Ireland.

Congrats to the Mchale Road residents who campaigned against the Crossmaglen Tower getting moved to Castlebar, the burning of the turf and coal worked a treat tonight ;D ;D ;D

Great crowd tonight and I met one Dub who was delighted that the Bertie Bowl dream had turned into reality when he saw the stand in Castlebar tonight :D :D :D

An Gaeilgoir

From a Mayo performance, the Dubs showed us tonight how football should be played. If it wasn't for Keith Higgins the game would have been over after 30 mins. How does it always take a Mayo team 40 passes to reach the oppositions half forward line? then when we get there the ball is passed along "the gain line" back and over until it is taken into the tackle where is is spilled, fouled or kicked poorly towards goal. The Dubs tonight scored 4 points tonight and the most number of passes was 5 passes. 2 points were scored after just 3 passes. Let there be no mistake, the dubs were ready to hand us a spanking until the sending off. Very disappointing overall.

sans pessimism

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 11, 2012, 07:14:40 PM
Terrible decison for the sending off. Had play continued I don't think anyone would have batted an eyelid.
[/quoteAt the game and I think McCarthy's leading with the elbow was the final straw for Duffy
after a series of cynical  Dublin fouls
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

ross4life

Mayo & poor 1st half performances has Mayo supporters forgotten about the 1st half's v London,Galway & ourselves?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ross4life on February 12, 2012, 06:15:14 PM
Mayo & poor 1st half performances has Mayo supporters forgotten about the 1st half's v London,Galway & ourselves?

No, but we have got to stop giving teams the initiative early on in games.

Hill16 Blues

Would very much like to know how Duffy who is a sad excuse for a referee at the best of times missed the fact that Varleys shot off the crossbar went a good 10 yes wide. The same question applies to the two linesmen and the two umpire clowns behind the goal. When will the GAA ever learn! Makes a farce of what is supposed to be the highest level of our games!

muppet

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on February 12, 2012, 07:14:59 PM
Would very much like to know how Duffy who is a sad excuse for a referee at the best of times missed the fact that Varleys shot off the crossbar went a good 10 yes wide. The same question applies to the two linesmen and the two umpire clowns behind the goal. When will the GAA ever learn! Makes a farce of what is supposed to be the highest level of our games!

It was about 30 yards wide. We had a good laugh at that one. The sending off looked harsh to me, I actually though it would be a free the other way. I thought the ref was ok until the sending off but he was losing touch with reality after that.

The FB line really struggled and set the tone for the entire defense. It is hard playing half back when you are being skinned behind and I would forgive Vaughan a shaky half on that basis. Feeney coming for Gardiner definitely improved things but the problem was behind. Eoghan Reilly isn't a full-back for his club and wasn't a full-back at minor or U-21. It is unfair on him to play him there. We were missing Cafferkey and his obvious replacement Alan Feeney through injury and it showed. Either of them back the next day would improve things. I wouldn't write Kevin Keane off yet either at Corner back.

Midfield was a mixed bag. On the plus side the only one winning clean ball was Barry Moran however until the sending off the Dubs  were winning all of the breaks. Further up O'Connor looks like he will be a class act but I would play him in the FF line. If Seamus O'Se is fit maybe he could play midfield with Barry, letting Aiden O'Se go to CHF. I'd prefer to see his great physicality nearer the goal.

Finally, some of the shooting was very frustrating and the otherwise good O'Connor even caught the virus of dropping kicks for points short into the hands of a grateful Cluxton. Even putting it wide gives us a chance to win it back, especially with Moran, but dropping it short is criminal at this level.
MWWSI 2017

sans pessimism

Cillian is a little rusty but is our best forward,as close to goal as possible-Mortimer is not up to standard
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Cosmo Kramer

I hope this notion of playing the re-fixture in Croke Park doesn't gather any momentum. No way in hell should we give up home advantage. Take every chance to get to the knockout stages and get pitch time at Croker at that stage of the competition.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Canalman

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on February 12, 2012, 08:43:23 PM
I hope this notion of playing the re-fixture in Croke Park doesn't gather any momentum. No way in hell should we give up home advantage. Take every chance to get to the knockout stages and get pitch time at Croker at that stage of the competition.

In fairness the only person quoted in the papers as being in favour of a move to CP was the Mayo manager.Relax, it won't happen.

Absoutely magic result last night for Mayo, a bloodless "lesson" and a mighty fillip for training over the next few weeks. Dubs will be deflated but that's life.