Handshaking before matches

Started by BennyCake, February 07, 2012, 01:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

I remember once being told to refuse to shake the hands of people from a particular club as they had a fondness for grabbing the opponent's testicles with their free hand.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Hardy

Quote from: deiseach on February 07, 2012, 03:10:07 PM
Surely BennyCake's point is that the formal handshake before the match is compete nonsense? The upcoming pleasantries between Luis Suarez and Patrice Evra is going to be some joke

Exactly. It's the equivalent of those signs saying "Welcome to Smellsville" or messages saying "Congratulations for buying EasyDoss". Shaking hands with everybody is the same as shaking hands with nobody.

Hardy

Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 07, 2012, 03:10:37 PM
I remember once being told to refuse to shake the hands of people from a particular club as they had a fondness for grabbing the opponent's testicles with their free hand.

Look out for their handbag-wielding supporters too.

lynchbhoy

would shake the opponents hand if he offered it.
wouldnt look at him or say anything while doing it.
preferred not to shake hands really.
it was the part of the game that I least looked forward to.

A former All Ireland winner and meath legend managing us one year told us not to shake hands and never wish your opponent luck - as you want the fcuker to have the worst luck in the world for the next hour or so !

Megaman

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 07, 2012, 03:23:36 PM

A former All Ireland winner and meath legend managing us one year told us not to shake hands and never wish your opponent luck - as you want the fcuker to have the worst luck in the world for the next hour or so !

i would agree with that, i always shook hands with my opponent before a match, but rarely spoke and certainly never Wished him Good Luck !!!

heganboy

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 07, 2012, 02:12:49 PM

I always thought of it as "I may hurt you during the game so sorry.  And I accept that you may do the same.  So lets play".
accompanied by the simple nod of understanding that whatever happens inside the line is in the name of the parish, no quarter asked or given, hands to be shook at the end and thats football.

I will admit to a bit of winding up/ speech play/ trash talk/ gamesmanship.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

HiMucker

Quote from: Megaman on February 07, 2012, 03:27:12 PM

i would agree with that, i always shook hands with my opponent before a match, but rarely spoke and certainly never Wished him Good Luck !!!
:D Brilliant, its fckers like you boys I enjoy marking

windyshepardhenderson

plenty of spit on the hand before the shake takes place. a few seconds after lace the shoulder into him. stamp on his toes. welcome to lavey.
lavey's finest

lynchbhoy

Quote from: HiMucker on February 07, 2012, 03:42:41 PM

if you offered the hand - i'd shake it.
while you'd prob enjoy marking me now, I doubt somehow if this would have been the case 10 or 20 years ago !

oakleafgael

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 07, 2012, 04:27:27 PM

while you'd prob enjoy marking me now, I doubt somehow if this would have been the case 10 or 20 years ago !

Lynchbhoy,

The only difference between you now and 10 or 20 years ago is less hair and more belly.

windyshepardhenderson

lavey's finest

lynchbhoy

Quote from: oakleafgael on February 07, 2012, 04:30:03 PM

Lynchbhoy,
The only difference between you now and 10 or 20 years ago is less hair and more belly.
i wish that was all.

The Gs Man

I didnt mind the handshakes so much, it was the finger up the hole that bothered me.
Keep 'er lit

HiMucker

Considering I would have been 7 years old I probably would have shat my pants  :D

I just dont get the whole pysch out thing before games.  Boxing, and other combat sports alright.  But boys can look a bit of a plunker when their man sticks the ball in the back of the net, sometimes through no fault of their own, but they still look like a right one for doing a stare down or whatever.  Maybe somepeople are different, I just see it as a load of balls at this stage (granted, maybe be intimitating when your younger and smaller) its up there with "if we make them come out of the changing rooms first after halftime we will win". 

Megaman

Quote from: HiMucker on February 07, 2012, 05:01:53 PM

Considering I would have been 7 years old I probably would have shat my pants  :D

I just dont get the whole pysch out thing before games.  Boxing, and other combat sports alright.  But boys can look a bit of a plunker when their man sticks the ball in the back of the net, sometimes through no fault of their own, but they still look like a right one for doing a stare down or whatever.  Maybe somepeople are different, I just see it as a load of balls at this stage (granted, maybe be intimitating when your younger and smaller) its up there with "if we make them come out of the changing rooms first after halftime we will win".

who mentioned it was psyching out the opponent, i just dont see the point in wishing my opponent Luck when i dont, i always shake hands as I'm far too nice