Tyrone v Derry Sor Sun 12th Feb 2.30 in Omagh

Started by Fuzzman, February 06, 2012, 03:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

Quote from: shezam on February 07, 2012, 10:19:46 PM
No Sean ONeill for this game, 3 month suspension arising from St Marys Sigerson game last week.

3 months!  :o What did he do?

everymanaman

Altercation involving the referee-Ardboe's Gavin Teague also hit with same suspension

nrico2006

Quote from: God14 on February 07, 2012, 11:03:14 AM
Team selection will be very interesting & Thursday night will tell a tale...

Goalkeeper - will be rotated, Devine In.

Defence - On the plus side Joe McMahon & Dermy Carlin will be available again for selection. Think Justy is injured again (unconfirmed) , as is Conor Clarke who pulled the hamstring on Saturday night (confirmed). Clarke was unavailble for Omagh U21's on Sunday & likely to miss out next sunday as well. Damian McCaul pushing hard for a chance now. Ricey will be hoping to see game time also.

Midfield - I rate big Cassidy highly, and he took one for the team on Saturday night. No where near fit enough to participate (following another injury setback) but he made himself available for selection under the circumstances and emptied the tank. Michael Murphy's star didnt shine as brightly last time out. Jury still out IMO. Perhaps we could see Joe McMahon line out here again? He was very effective there in the McKenna final.

Forwards - Peter Hughe's position you would feel would be under serious threat. The other 5 positions i feel pick themselves now. Harte wont t**ker with a winning formulae here. I think Tommy McGuigan is available again, plus Big Sean will likely get another 10 mins towards the end to continue his rehabilitation. As I alluded to before, I would like to see Kyle Coney given an opportunity. McNiece, Gervin etc didnt really grab the bull by the horns in the McKenna cup but Coney hasnt even had a decent opportunity this year to date. Also - what of Lafferty? Seems like a long time ago now that he impressed against QUB. Seems to be slipping down the pecking order.

Regardless of team selection - Derry will be well up for this one. They need the points, and they are getting slated by their own at the minute. Expect a backlash in the shape of a negative, bitter ugly battle, heavy narrow pitch, pulling & dragging match just - which will level it up immensely. There wont be more than a couple of points in it at the end. Discipline is crucial, however hopefully Tyrone's superior class will shine out.

Was thinking about the like of Lafferty and Coney yesterday, and when you look at the list of forwards that there is available then its going to be hard to get a start and if one of them gets a start they will need to do something special to get another go, whereas the like of Tommy McGuigan or Penrose could do very little and will get another chance.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

leaveherinsir

Quote from: God14 on February 07, 2012, 11:03:14 AM
Team selection will be very interesting & Thursday night will tell a tale...

Goalkeeper - will be rotated, Devine In.

Defence - On the plus side Joe McMahon & Dermy Carlin will be available again for selection. Think Justy is injured again (unconfirmed) , as is Conor Clarke who pulled the hamstring on Saturday night (confirmed). Clarke was unavailble for Omagh U21's on Sunday & likely to miss out next sunday as well. Damian McCaul pushing hard for a chance now. Ricey will be hoping to see game time also.

Midfield - I rate big Cassidy highly, and he took one for the team on Saturday night. No where near fit enough to participate (following another injury setback) but he made himself available for selection under the circumstances and emptied the tank. Michael Murphy's star didnt shine as brightly last time out. Jury still out IMO. Perhaps we could see Joe McMahon line out here again? He was very effective there in the McKenna final.

Forwards - Peter Hughe's position you would feel would be under serious threat. The other 5 positions i feel pick themselves now. Harte wont t**ker with a winning formulae here. I think Tommy McGuigan is available again, plus Big Sean will likely get another 10 mins towards the end to continue his rehabilitation. As I alluded to before, I would like to see Kyle Coney given an opportunity. McNiece, Gervin etc didnt really grab the bull by the horns in the McKenna cup but Coney hasnt even had a decent opportunity this year to date. Also - what of Lafferty? Seems like a long time ago now that he impressed against QUB. Seems to be slipping down the pecking order.

Regardless of team selection - Derry will be well up for this one. They need the points, and they are getting slated by their own at the minute. Expect a backlash in the shape of a negative, bitter ugly battle, heavy narrow pitch, pulling & dragging match just - which will level it up immensely. There wont be more than a couple of points in it at the end. Discipline is crucial, however hopefully Tyrone's superior class will shine out.
"A negative bitter ugly battle...pulling and dragging match"  Sound like a Tyrone game right enough!! ::)
And before the Tyrone hordes come steaming in, i would say Tyrone will win this game. You have had and continue to have better footballers in Tyrone over the last 10 odd years. But Jesus lad get off your high horse with the the "Tyrone are holier than thou" attitude

Norf Tyrone

Quick question.

What time will the Tyrone/ Armagh Ulster championship game throw in at? Has it been set yet?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

gerry

1 Jonathan Curran – Oileán a'Ghuail
2 Aidan McCrory – Aireagal Chiaráin
3 Conor Clarke – An Omaigh
4 PJ Quinn – Baile na Móna
5 Cathal McCarron – An Droim Mór
6 Peter Harte – Aireagal Chiaráin
7 Damian McCaul – Domhnach Mór
8 Michael Murphy – An Gallbhaile
9 Aidan Cassidy – Eochar
10 Matthew Donnelly – Trí Leac
11 Mark Donnelly – An Charraig Mhór
12 Ronan McNabb - An Droim Mhór
13 Owen Mulligan – An Chorra Chríochach
14 Martin Penrose – Achadh Uí Aráin
15 Stephen O'Neill – Clann na nGael

16 Pascal McConnell – An Baile Nua
17 Dermot Carlin – Coill an Chlochair
18 Sean Cavanagh – An Mhaigh
19 Kyle Coney – Ard Bó
20 Ciaran Gervin – Doire Locháin
21 Peter Hughes – Eiscreach
22 Jonathan Lafferty – Urnaí
23 Tommy McGuigan – Ard Bó
24 Niall McKenna – Domhnach Mór
25 Joe McMahon – An Omaigh
26 Justin McMahon – An Omaigh
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Fuzzman

Haven't a clue Norf. If it's not on the gaa or Ulster council website then maybe it's still to be decided. Wow. Interesting selection Mickey. I can only count five regulars from last year. I hope Murphy rises to the challenge again. When's the last time McNabb started a game?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Interesting selection all right, though a few of the higher numbers are missing off that list (as usual), i.e., Rónán O'Neill.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

The bench would take the first team I think (with numbers evened up)
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

goal and a point

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 09, 2012, 08:33:19 PM
Interesting selection all right, though a few of the higher numbers are missing off that list (as usual), i.e., Rónán O'Neill.

As per normal tyrone subs are in alphabetical order - e.g. Ricey, McNally, Ronan O Neil, Sean O Neil if appealing suspension etc. They have to name 26 but tog out all 32 or so and then only Harte knows who the 26 players who are listed.

God14

Harte is clearly reshaping the structure & shape of the team at the moment. I am having difficulty defining exactly what it is - but what is very noticeable is that the half forwards & half backs seem to have their traditional roles reversed as regards defence & attack.

Harte, McCaul & McCarron will again be the driving force in most attacks, they each possess great speed & ball carrying ability. Last Saturday night, young forward Mattie Donnelly alluded in an interview with teamtalkmag.com that he was given a different role - playing in the half back line. McNabb will in all likelihood have a similar role this sunday. Possibly Penrose too.

Petey Harte is still the play maker & has become Tyrone's most important player. I feel the new 'system' has been designed partly to get the most out of Harte & get him on the ball as often as possible, in as much space as possible. His accurate kick passes & surging runs have been a key feature of Tyrone's play in 2012.

Hopefully i'll understand the system better after sunday. Clarke Vs Paddy Brads will be an interesting battle.

Interestingly RTE predict a victory for 2/1 shot's Doire on Sunday. http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2012/0210/tyrone_derry.html

oakleafgael

Expecting the worst on Sunday, but holding out the hope that the sight of the Tyrone jersey can some how rise a performance out of somewhere on. The long and short of it there is a fair distance between the abilities of the two teams who will take the field in Omagh, much less of a gap if we had a full panel to pick from.

The mobility of our players around the middle of the field last week was shocking, a week wont have changed that most, although a heavy pitch in Omagh might level that out slightly. Our full back line is in transition and unless we can somehow stop a supply of ball into O'Neill then they will be in for a long afternoon. The sending off in the McKenna Cup final masked a lot of our failings that where exposed last weekend.

Tyrone by 5/6 pulling up.

ONeill

Quote from: God14 on February 10, 2012, 10:15:17 AM
Harte is clearly reshaping the structure & shape of the team at the moment. I am having difficulty defining exactly what it is - but what is very noticeable is that the half forwards & half backs seem to have their traditional roles reversed as regards defence & attack.

Harte, McCaul & McCarron will again be the driving force in most attacks, they each possess great speed & ball carrying ability. Last Saturday night, young forward Mattie Donnelly alluded in an interview with teamtalkmag.com that he was given a different role - playing in the half back line. McNabb will in all likelihood have a similar role this sunday. Possibly Penrose too.

Petey Harte is still the play maker & has become Tyrone's most important player. I feel the new 'system' has been designed partly to get the most out of Harte & get him on the ball as often as possible, in as much space as possible. His accurate kick passes & surging runs have been a key feature of Tyrone's play in 2012.

Hopefully i'll understand the system better after sunday. Clarke Vs Paddy Brads will be an interesting battle.

Interestingly RTE predict a victory for 2/1 shot's Doire on Sunday. http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2012/0210/tyrone_derry.html

I don't think there's a massive difference in the 5&7 positions and their role compared to the Harte/Jordan era. Also 10&12 is similar to Dooher/Joe. What has changed is having a playmaker at 6. I still think that individually, Tyrone are very average defensively.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

God14

@ O'Neill - I would agree about your comments regarding the defense. There's always a reassuring feeling when you look at the teamsheet & see the two McMahons in it!

Plus with Conor Gormley to come back in, there should be a different look about it as the year progresses.

Still think that the defense should perform well this Sunday against a derry attack missing Eoin Brads, James Kielt & Enda Muldoon.

Keane

I don't think Derry have much chance if their main hope is that they'll be "up" for playing Tyrone. Which of the Tyrone players are going to be unmotivated!?