Your County's Best 15

Started by Keane, February 02, 2012, 02:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keane

With the league due to start this weekend it might be interesting for people to know how the various teams other counties are sending out compare to their strongest line ups. I find myself asking on nearly every thread "how many of that line up will play come Championship time" so thought might as well start a thread.

We all probably know the key players for most counties, but it can be hard to keep up with the calibre of many of the players who are less reported on.

I think Kerry's strongest 15 - injuries etc notwithstanding - would be pretty close to:

-------------------- Brendan Kealy --------------------

Tom O'Sullivan ------- Marc O'Sé ------- Shane Enright

Tomás O'Sé --------- Eoin Brosnan --------- Killian Young

----------- Anthony Maher --- Brian Sheehan -----------

Paul Galvin ------- Declan O'Sullivan ------- Darren O'Sullivan

Colm Cooper ------ Kieran Donaghy ------ Kiaran O'Leary

What's your counties best 15?

AZOffaly

That's basically last years team plus Enright I think? Would David Moran not be a contender in the half forward line, or even midfield?

Keane

Well, Enright comes in at corner back, Killian Young moves to half back and Galvin comes in at half forward with Aiden O'Mahony and Donnchadh Walsh dropping to the bench.

David Moran will be there or thereabouts. IMO he'll be fighting it out with Bryan Sheehan for that MF spot. I don't think you could really play them together because they're almost carbon copies of one another style-wise, you need a Scanlon or a Maher beside them.

In the backline Tom Sullivan is 50-50 to return, if he doesn't you might see Peter Crowley nailing down a place at corner back, or else Killian Young will be moved back into the corner with AOM coming back into the half back line. Would much prefer Young to stay out the field though.

Care to take a stab at picking an Offaly 15?

AZOffaly

An Offaly 15 is some craic because of how young most of them are. I think at this stage there's at least 8 or 9 positions that are up in the air. However, for a laugh, I'll go with

1 Kevin Meehan

2 Sean Pender
3 Shane Sullivan
4 Paul McConway

5 Brian Darby
6 Ross Brady
7 Sean Ryan

8 Ritchie Dalton
9 Niall Smith

10 Bernard Allen
11 Daniel Currams
12 Anton Sullivan

13 Alan Mulhall
14 Niall McNamee
15 Ken Casey

Keane

Tyty, Offaly are one team I actually have zero clue about because as you said they're such a young side.

Heard McNamee is back training which is great for both himself and the team, fingers crossed he's able to put his demons (as well as his injuries!) firmly behind him.

AZOffaly

Yeah, Niall is a big bonus for us to be back, but he will need time, and the trick for us is to give him support. For too long it's been 'handle McNamee and Offaly are bate'.

Keane

Nine of the team you've named above lining out in the league game interestingly enough.

Of the six missing, Dalton and McNamee are injured, don't know about Sullivan, Brady Ryan or Ken Casey.

AQMP

I've been away from the club scene for quite a few years but here's a stab in the dark at an Antrim 15 (presuming everyone's available etc)

1. Chris Kerr

2. Colin Brady
3. Ricky Johnston
4. Kevin O'Boyle

5. Justin Crozier
6. Anto Healy
7. James Loughrey

8. Aodhan Gallagher
9. Conal Kelly

10. Tomas McCann
11. Kevin Niblock
12. Kevin McGourty

13. Brian Neeson
14. Michael Magill
15. CJ McGourty

SambaSaffron

No Michael McCann, Tony Scullion, Andy McClean or Paddy Cunningham? You have been away for a while.

*I'm not saying I'd have all of the above.

AQMP

Quote from: SambaSaffron on February 02, 2012, 04:52:38 PM
No Michael McCann, Tony Scullion, Andy McClean or Paddy Cunningham? You have been away for a while.

Subs.  Have to freshen things up a bit SS ;)

Keane

What's your version?

AQMP

Quote from: Keane on February 02, 2012, 05:11:32 PM

What's your version?

Keane, did you ever come across Conal Kelly?  He's not long back in Antrim after a year or two with Laune Rangers?

Keane

Haven't lived in Kerry for a bunch of years so only get to the odd club game unfortunately. I'll ask around see if any of the lads know him.

Breffni_Yank

Is this what we think is the best 15 on the panel or best 15 in the county :-\

our_fella

Paul Hearty

Andy Mallon
Brendan Donaghy
James Morgan

Aaron Kernan
Ciaran McKeever
Paul Duffy / Kevin Dyas

Kieran Toner
Charlie Vernon