Laois v Mayo, Saturday 4th Feb, 7.00pm

Started by Farrandeelin, February 01, 2012, 09:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on February 03, 2012, 10:56:15 PM
Quote from: Sam2011 on February 03, 2012, 05:58:45 PM
Strong team indeed. Looking forward to the game Hoping for victory of a few points.

Aidan O'Shea and Cillian O'Connor are both injured.
I can imagine both will be starters when fit but O'Connor at only 19 won't be over used by Horan. What's the story with Ronan McGarrity?

I would definitely have him as a usable sub. He has been a very good primary ball winner for us but most people think only of a few games against Kerry. With the options we have at midfield he has to work hard, but remember his performance at 12 on Tomas Ó'Sé against Kerry in 2005? That was something JM never gets credit for, i.e. a clever and successful tactic on a big day.
MWWSI 2017

Sam2011

Strong team indeed. Looking forward to the game Hoping for victory of a few points.

I can imagine both will be starters when fit but O'Connor at only 19 won't be over used by Horan. What's the story with Ronan McGarrity?

I heard hes away training on his own and then deciding if he is fit enough to come back. He struggled last year with injuries and his fitness.

Jinxy

Quote from: muppet on February 03, 2012, 11:14:25 PM

I would definitely have him as a usable sub. He has been a very good primary ball winner for us but most people think only of a few games against Kerry. With the options we have at midfield he has to work hard, but remember his performance at 12 on Tomas Ó'Sé against Kerry in 2005? That was something JM never gets credit for, i.e. a clever and successful tactic on a big day.

Ye need him bigtime.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2012, 06:03:34 PM
Just got off the phone with Mayo Mick.
Mayo by 27 points.

Jezz not like Mick to be that pessimistic
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

moysider

Quote from: Sam2011 on February 03, 2012, 11:41:53 PM

I heard hes away training on his own and then deciding if he is fit enough to come back. He struggled last year with injuries and his fitness.

He s only back jogging after latest injury.

Mayo Mick

Quote from: the Deel Rover on February 04, 2012, 11:36:16 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2012, 06:03:34 PM
Just got off the phone with Mayo Mick.
Mayo by 27 points.

Jezz not like Mick to be that pessimistic

Think we will ease into the year with a 4 or 5 point win. No need to peak too early.
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

Jinxy

I see Mick.
Softly softly..... for now.
You Mayo folk are a cunning breed.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mayo Mick

Quote from: Jinxy on February 04, 2012, 03:17:57 PM
I see Mick.
Softly softly..... for now.
You Mayo folk are a cunning breed.

More of that stuff and I wont answer your call next time you are looking for the inside story!!!!
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

Farrandeelin

We won by 6 or was it 5?

Things to work on. Full-back and midfield were terrible in the first half, I was surprised at Barry Moran been left in at full-forward for so long. Good job Padraig Clancy was so awkward and missed a lot of chances or Laois could be 5 or 6 up at half time. The lads seemed to stand off their men in the first half too. To be honest, I know I've said it on here before, but Pat Harte is not inter-county material. Last night's match seems to justify my view of him. Also, Cafferkey looked out of sorts on Padraig Clancy, granted he caught one ball, but all the others he either was behind him or he let the ball over his head. PS, incase ballinaman and stephenite think I am all out against Ballina men, I thought David Clarke should have been awarded motm. He controlled his area all through, and if Hennelly was in goal, I doubt we'd have won to be honest. The whole full-back line struggled throughout the first half I thought and Seamus O'Shea performed poorly enough as well.

Second half was different kettle of fish altogether. We harried and hassled, the way we did against Cork and Kerry in the first half in Croke Park last year and it reaped rewards. We need to keep possession of the ball when attacking and K McLoughlin often overhit passes which should hopefully be rectified for the next game against Dublin. Varley made a quick impact when he came on, so too did Barry Moran when moved out the middle. I suppose once Mayo started to close Laois down they had no other option up front, although Michael John Tierney made a few darting runs but were closed down. Nice to win away from home anyway.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Most counties will be expecting to beat Laois when playing them as one of their home games, but to win away is a good start to the season.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 05, 2012, 04:41:53 PM
We won by 6 or was it 5?

Things to work on. Full-back and midfield were terrible in the first half, I was surprised at Barry Moran been left in at full-forward for so long. Good job Padraig Clancy was so awkward and missed a lot of chances or Laois could be 5 or 6 up at half time. The lads seemed to stand off their men in the first half too. To be honest, I know I've said it on here before, but Pat Harte is not inter-county material. Last night's match seems to justify my view of him. Also, Cafferkey looked out of sorts on Padraig Clancy, granted he caught one ball, but all the others he either was behind him or he let the ball over his head. PS, incase ballinaman and stephenite think I am all out against Ballina men, I thought David Clarke should have been awarded motm. He controlled his area all through, and if Hennelly was in goal, I doubt we'd have won to be honest. The whole full-back line struggled throughout the first half I thought and Seamus O'Shea performed poorly enough as well.

Second half was different kettle of fish altogether. We harried and hassled, the way we did against Cork and Kerry in the first half in Croke Park last year and it reaped rewards. We need to keep possession of the ball when attacking and K McLoughlin often overhit passes which should hopefully be rectified for the next game against Dublin. Varley made a quick impact when he came on, so too did Barry Moran when moved out the middle. I suppose once Mayo started to close Laois down they had no other option up front, although Michael John Tierney made a few darting runs but were closed down. Nice to win away from home anyway.

Harsh on Cafferkey and Keegan didn't give Cahillane a sniff if you ask me. Higgins was pretty good on Conway in the first half too and kept him in his pocket in the second half.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ballinaman

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on February 05, 2012, 10:26:05 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 05, 2012, 04:41:53 PM
We won by 6 or was it 5?

Harsh on Cafferkey and Keegan didn't give Cahillane a sniff if you ask me. Higgins was pretty good on Conway in the first half too and kept him in his pocket in the second half.
One thing Hartey doesn't lack is bravery, put his neck on the line in the 2nd half down near our goal where a good few lads would have pulled out. Caff will be grand, 1st few mins in the 1st game of the league isn't a good barometer. Clarke took man and ball a few times alright, great game.
Thought Keegan was decent too. Mort was lively and a constant threat inside, you get see Andy is a bit off full fitness.
SOS took the wrong option and few times and carried into the tackle when a pop pass was on, disappointing to see, thought would have learned from last years mistakes. Laois lads around me were very impressed by Varley, his natural ability to take scores compared to the awkwardness of Clancy was fairly stark!

muppet

Didn't see the game but I would be delighted if every team we play in the league put a big man in FF and rain floods of ball in on Caff. Good to get a win in the first remotely serious game and wouldn't read too much into any individual's performance.
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

Quote from: muppet on February 06, 2012, 06:36:43 PM
Didn't see the game but I would be delighted if every team we play in the league put a big man in FF and rain floods of ball in on Caff. Good to get a win in the first remotely serious game and wouldn't read too much into any individual's performance.
+1

Caff would be doubtful for Saturday though i'd say, looked like right hammer went again.

mannix

Quote from: muppet on February 06, 2012, 06:36:43 PM
Why would you want cafferkey put under pressure like that?