Laois v Mayo, Saturday 4th Feb, 7.00pm

Started by Farrandeelin, February 01, 2012, 09:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

western exile

Mayo record in league over the last decade has been impressive. They have won more games than any other division one team over that period.
Last year, with a new manager, they used the league as trial games for new players, which is always a risky thing, but still managed to finish mid table. Less experimentation required this year so I would expect them to give it a good lash.  Even at home, Laois will have a hard job to win this one.

Tubberman

From Mayo GAA:

The Mayo Senior Football Team to face Laois in the opening round of the Allianz Football League this Saturday at 7.00p.m. is as follows:

1 David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
2 Lee Keegan - Westport
3 Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4 Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
5 Peadar Gardiner - Crossmolina
6 Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
7 Richie Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
8 Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
9 Patrick Harte - Ballina Stephenites
10 Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
11 Alan Freeman - Aghamore
12 Alan Dillon - Ballintubber
13 Conor Mortimer - Shrule-Glencorrib
14 Barry Moran - Castlebar Mitchels
15 Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen

16 Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
17 Kevin Keane - Westport
18 Danny Kirby - Castlebar Mitchels
19 Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
20 Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
21 Enda Varley - Garrymore
22 Eoghan Reilly - Castlebar Mitchels
23 Michael Conroy - Davitts
24 Chris Barrett - Belmullet
25 Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
26 Colm Boyle - Davitts

Manager: James Horan
Trainer: Cian O'Neill
Selector: James Nalen
Selector: Tom Prendergast
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tubberman

I see Kevin Keane is listed in the subs - was a great minor FB, seemed to disappear for a while, didn't even know he was training with the senior panel. Be interesting to see if he gets any 'game time' in the league.

Strong team overall, one of the corner back positions seems to be Lee Keegan's to lose.
Freeman at 11 could be interesting. Not so sure about Big Barry at FF, would prefer to see him get a run at midfield, but early days yet I suppose. It's a great 6 forwards actually if the inside 3 click.

And have we ever had a stronger looking bench? It's a bit light on defenders, but overall very strong.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ballinaman

Is Barry Moran likely to stay inside or will he move to the middle and Harte play as a 3rd midfielder I wonder.
Savage looking bench.

RedandGreenSniper

Conor Mortimer inside, Andy Moran at centre-half forward and everyone else behind halfway. Mayo to do a Donegal on it and win 0-4 to 0-0.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Farrandeelin

Pity Shane McHale isn't among those listed. Bench seems strong alright even in his absence.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mannix

Strong looking forward setup ,best of luck to the whole panel and management in 2012.

ross4life

I thought Hennelly was out injured for a while? speaking of injuries do Mayo have any??
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2012, 06:03:34 PM
Just got off the phone with Mayo Mick.
Mayo by 27 points.

I predict this will be the dominant theme of the decade.
MWWSI 2017

Sam2011

Strong team indeed. Looking forward to the game Hoping for victory of a few points.

Aidan O'Shea and Cillian O'Connor are both injured.

Keane

Sam2011

Quote from: Keane on February 03, 2012, 06:25:06 PM
What's Barry Moran like?

He has struggled with injuries in the past few years.  Very tall and strong. The best midfielder in the county last year. On his day he can be excellent.

Farrandeelin

Laois team taken from MayoGAABlog.

Laois (NFL Division One v Mayo, 4/2/2012):
Eoin Culliton (Timahoe);

Cahir Healy (Portlaoise), Kieran Lillis (Portlaoise), Peter O'Leary (O'Dempsey's);

Darren Strong (Emo), Shane Julian (Arles-Killeen), Conor Boyle (Portlaoise);

Brendan Quigley (Fingallians, Dublin), John O'Loughlin (St Brigid's, Dublin);

Ross Munnelly (Arles-Kilcruise), Kevin Meaney (Arles-Kilcruise), Colm Begley (Parnells);

Paul Cahillane (Portlaoise), Padraig Clancy (Timahoe), David Conway (Arles-Kilcruise).

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jinxy

Quote from: muppet on February 03, 2012, 05:48:46 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2012, 06:03:34 PM
Just got off the phone with Mayo Mick.
Mayo by 27 points.

I predict this will be the dominant theme of the decade.

:D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ross4life

Quote from: Sam2011 on February 03, 2012, 05:58:45 PM
Strong team indeed. Looking forward to the game Hoping for victory of a few points.

Aidan O'Shea and Cillian O'Connor are both injured.
I can imagine both will be starters when fit but O'Connor at only 19 won't be over used by Horan. What's the story with Ronan McGarrity?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open