Armagh v Cork NFL Division 1 round 1 Sunday 05-02-12

Started by Onion Bag, January 30, 2012, 10:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armaghgeddon

That was a result that most Armagh fans did not expect. I for one accepted defeat at the end of the first half. But then Armagh powered there way back. Some say it was due to the referee giving Armagh soft frees, I wont comment because I did not see the match. But Armagh forwards are small and that would have been evident especially against a huge team such as Cork.

From an Armagh perspective, the next year was looking very bad but the players showed their worth in the second half. Along with the bad refereeing, Armagh gifted Cork with a goal. Armagh are only going to get better but expectations are low. We still have a number of key players to return such as the Cross players and Stevie to return. It was the opening game and I think we got Cork at the best possibly time.

armagho9

Quote from: Etienne Lantier on February 05, 2012, 03:50:38 PM
How is Anto Duffy still on the pitch?

im glad he was left on.  thought anto, forker, the bigger of the two raffertys (Caolan?) and McVerry all had very good second halfs.  A bit more composure by McVerry could have won us the game.  Duffy and Rafferty showed great pace when running with the ball.  Very pleased with the performance.  Though Vernon was very good (apart from when trying to pass, loses a serious amount of attacking opportunities with wayward hand passing)

ardchieftain

Like most i wasn't expecting to pick up any points from this game but was hoping to see a battling display. Up until the row, well into the 1st half, it wasn't looking good at all though. That 2nd half display was like watching the Armagh of old, fighting for every ball, tackling like demons and playing with obvious pride in the jersey. The Grimley factor? Without a doubt in my opinion.

Out of the new lads, McVerry, Anto Duffy,, Campbell, Forker, McKenna and C. Rafferty look like they could make it at this level. A serious amount of positives to take out of this display today. The future is not as bleak as many claim.

Mal Mackin was immense when moved out the field. McKeever, Donaghy and Andy Mallon enhanced their reputations too. If we continue to put in gutsy displays like this we will stay up.

ARD MHACHA ABU

brokencrossbar1

The result was important but I think people need a bit of perspective.  In the first 35 minutes Armagh got 1 score.  they didn't score from play until, what 15 minutes into the second half.  SOme of the frees for scores at the start of the second half were dubious to say the least and Cork struggled badly once Kerrigan was sent off (wrongly in my book).  McVerry, Anto Duffy, young McKenna and Rafferty did their chances a world of good.  Andy Mallon was excellent.  Mackin did well in running at the defence but still has very poor decision making skills and gives away a lot of ball when he has to think about it, Vernon the same.  The difference in the second half seemed to be that Armagh took the game to the Cork lads and they reaped rewards as a result.  In the first half there were too many times that they sat back and allowed Cork to play football.  I don't know if it was tactical or a small bit of lack of belief but hopefully players and management learn a lesson from it. 

BTW, McKeever lucky to stay on for the elbow to the face which was more of a red card than Kerrigan and Donaghy lucky he didn't pick up a secodn yellow for persistent pulling.

BennyCake

Great comeback. Forker, B Mallon did well when brought on. McKeever, brilliant. Vernon, very good too. Someone order a taxi for Kingham though. Thon boy's a dose!

That Cork team are no big shakes. Canty and Pearse O'Neill were nowhere to be seen. This point could be priceless come April.

Orchardman

didn't expect anything from this game so fair play to the lads. My view is helped by the fact i only watched the 2nd half, as 1 point in the first half is pure muck. In fairness we had an extra man a long time but the thing that impressed me most was the tackling, easy to see the grimley 'pressure cookers' are back at training. Lost count of times in 2nd half where vernon, mackin and others hit the cork men, diving in for ball, and cork struggling to work it out of their half. Plenty of pace from some of the new lads too which is good to see, especially anto duffy. Need a lot more to stay in div 1 but decent start

bennydorano

In reply to the not scoring enough from play I always maintain that it is nearly always down to opposition fouling when a score is inevitable. Take the positives from it, learn from the mistakes & move on, dwelling on negatives seems to be our default position. As Mal Mackin alluded to after the game I thought the difference (in 2nd half &) from previous seasons was that we defended high up the field, rather than inviting trouble in our half.

Well done Armagh an unexpected point, plenty of fight & positives. Thought Mackin, mckeever, CV & Mcverry were best.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: bennydorano on February 05, 2012, 06:08:57 PM
In reply to the not scoring enough from play I always maintain that it is nearly always down to opposition fouling when a score is inevitable. Take the positives from it, learn from the mistakes & move on, dwelling on negatives seems to be our default position. As Mal Mackin alluded to after the game I thought the difference (in 2nd half &) from previous seasons was that we defended high up the field, rather than inviting trouble in our half.

Well done Armagh an unexpected point, plenty of fight & positives. Thought Mackin, mckeever, CV & Mcverry were best.

To a point benny, it didn't happen though really for 40 minutes if the game.  There were noc real chances created which is a concern. Also some of the "fouls" were dubious to the extreme. You are right though that once they took the game to Cork they were much better.  They put serious pressure on their defenders coming out and won at least 1 scored free as a result of forcing the mistake.  These are important to emphasise but it is also important to dwell on the negatives as you cannot improve if you do not address the failings you have as a team and for 40 minutes there was no attacking impetus whatsoever.  cork were very poor today and if Armagh had gone at them from the start they would have won with a bit to spare.  Just remember that although Armagh may have been missing 5-6 championship starters, so where Cork and they played 45 minutes of the game with 14 men.  Highlight the postives by all means but be honest and realise that there were a lot of problems there also.

Captain Obvious

Unexpected point however you need to win your homes games. Will need to pick up a few points on the road now.

Armamike

Good hardworking display from Armagh, with players clearly giving their all to get a win.  A bit more composure and better shooting and we could have been won with a little bit to spare. As others have said a big factor was the pressure but high up the pitch - for too long Armagh have sat back and let teams come onto them, so hopefully this is going to be more of a feature. Vernon and Mackin in particular put in big displays and showed a good bit of leadership.  Good solid performances from many of the new fellas.  Hopefully this will give the team a bit of confidence - a good start in this division is critical.
That's just, like your opinion man.

topgun

Benny

Has Nippy definitely left the panel?

If so, why?
a prophet is not recognised by his own

bennydorano

He's gone, dont know his reasons or if a return in the future is a possibility. Irish news cited work committments - which is pants.

Dougal Maguire

McVerry a bit on the greedy side. He needs to learn to pass the ball a bit more
Careful now

Midman

how did the keeper do? and what happened for the goal?

David McKeown

BC why did you think the sending off was harsh? From my view admittedly some distance away he appeared to strike and attempt to kick the man. Was that not case?

There were a few positives for me from the game but there's still a lot of negatives to be addressed otherwise it'll be a short summer.  That said I was in Croke park last night as well and for me the top teams are coming back to the pack a bit so maybe it's not all doom and gloom for Armagh
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner