O'Donoughue starts ranting again...

Started by neilthemac, March 16, 2007, 05:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublinfella

Quote from: tayto on March 29, 2007, 12:48:43 AM
if you believe Rovers, on the other hand there is a theory that you could do it and not effect the attendance, but fellas me lad dosent believe it.

theory?  ;D

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Rossfan on March 28, 2007, 07:25:50 PM
Of which €1.5 or €1.9m -came from Lotto Grants.
And guess what GAA lads - something to really piss you off - the Council had to pay almost €1.5m to get the lease back !!!!!! :( :( (Seriously  source- my "mole" in the SD Council.)
So the Lotto pays for 75 or 95% of the work done;then they get €1.5m to get off the stage and then they get a free Stadium which is estimated will cost €11m. I suspect with the Irish and Government way of doing things that will be about €15m+ before this saga is over.

oh dear. SR don't really have a leg to stand on. do they? Morally at least.

Gnevin

Quote from: dublinfella on March 28, 2007, 10:40:29 PM
Quote from: johnpower on March 28, 2007, 09:59:42 PM
. Dunlinfella I dont have time to read all 15 pages but can you tell me is it possible to accomodate both and still have a decent capacity.?

No. The capacity would be cut from 10,000 to 2,000 to fit a full size GAA pitch.

To small to be any use to Rovers or the Dubs.

Yes because that's a common known engineering principal, the bigger the area the less you fit in  ::). It like how if you extend your house into your garden , your houses ends up smaller
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Gnevin on March 29, 2007, 08:58:37 AM
It like how if you extend your house into your garden , your houses ends up smaller

ahem  ;D

tayto

Quote from: dublinfella on March 28, 2007, 04:17:46 PM
How much of an investment towards the total cost of the operation have Sham Rovs actually staked?

The figure mentioned of SRFC's financial contribution to date is €2m

And guess what GAA lads - something to really piss you off - the Council had to pay almost €1.5m to get the lease back !!!!!! :( :( (Seriously  source- my "mole" in the SD Council.)
So the Lotto pays for 75 or 95% of the work done;then they get €1.5m to get off the stage and then they get a free Stadium which is estimated will cost €11m. I suspect with the Irish and Government way of doing things that will be about €15m+ before this saga is over.

If that is accurate then this is a feckin disgrace. Where's my application form a free stadium? i think i'll sell my house, sher the government will build me a new one.

deiseach

Quote from: tayto on March 29, 2007, 09:08:21 AM
If that is accurate then this is a feckin disgrace. Where's my application form a free stadium? i think i'll sell my house, sher the government will build me a new one.

Don't forget to not pay your taxes, they'll let you off. And if anyone should complain, tell them in your best how-dare-you voice that you've paid all your debts for the last two - not one, TWO! - years

lynchbhoy

Having read all these pages over the past number of weeks, this is what I see is the reality of the situation.

I am sure we will hear in time how much the project will actually cost - most likely after it is completed and we will then find out the cost over run.
Def 4million euros imo in this age of extortionate building costs and based on all the other stadia/building of structures in recent times,€4m seems way too cheap.

Also, this does look like rovers (all new sham rovs - to avoid confusion with the old sham rovers that owed a lot of money and defaulted on tax etc) have little or no money - and have actually contributed nothing from their own coffers.
What they have contributed is €2M that is mostly and directly from Gov grants.

So this would appear that is is a stadium for nothing.
A municipal stadium that can house ALL SPORTS - is just that.

Its a bit rich- getting a stadium for nothing and dictating as to the dimensions of this and exactly therefore who can play in it.
Obv rovers want the stadium to stay the same size - not because the capacity would decrease (as the capacity would be increased with bigger stands I would imagine) but a smaller pitch means the grounds are useless for senior GAA games - therefore effectively meaning that the stadium and grounds are de facto Sham rovers grounds alone.
As rugby is in its infancy out there, there wont be a whole lot of usage required of this stadium.

I know Dublinfella is arguing differently, but I think in the last couple of pages, the real truth has been discovered.
I also understand why ODonoghue is against this - imo its because the work is not far off completion and any changes will mean more money , time and a pain in his erse.
Same goes for rovers. Its painful to be so close to having 'their' stadium, only to be dashed at the 11th hour, and they are long awaiting a new home.
I certainly do not think that Thomas Davis etc are too bothered about 'competing' for kids as has been mentioned, as the club had to extend its grounds recently to cater for the upsurge in players/teams/kids especially in the underage sections.
Dublin county board obv object to the fact that Rovers are getting a free ground - esp as the ground is being deemed a 'municipal ' and 'sport for all' resource.
To say otherwise is being extremely disingenuous.

Romeo

I've noticed after about 14 - 15 pages of this that DF is suddenly referring to this stadium as a 'Municipal SOCCER Stadium', I thought it was just a plain old municipal stadium, no????

armaghniac

Is this the aforesaid stadium?

If so there is room to widen the field for GAA, this would reduce spectator accomodation on that side, but the main stand would still be there. Taking away one side can only halve the capacity at most.
There seems plenty of room to lengthen the field.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

dublinfella

Quote from: Gnevin on March 29, 2007, 08:58:37 AM
Quote from: dublinfella on March 28, 2007, 10:40:29 PM
Quote from: johnpower on March 28, 2007, 09:59:42 PM
. Dunlinfella I dont have time to read all 15 pages but can you tell me is it possible to accomodate both and still have a decent capacity.?

No. The capacity would be cut from 10,000 to 2,000 to fit a full size GAA pitch.

To small to be any use to Rovers or the Dubs.

Yes because that's a common known engineering principal, the bigger the area the less you fit in  ::). It like how if you extend your house into your garden , your houses ends up smaller

that makes no sense whatsoever. best not to type when drunk i think.

Quote from: armaghniac on March 29, 2007, 03:12:39 PM
Is this the aforesaid stadium?

If so there is room to widen the field for GAA, this would reduce spectator accomodation on that side, but the main stand would still be there. Taking away one side can only halve the capacity at most.
There seems plenty of room to lengthen the field.

there is no image there. but by lenghtening you remove the stands planned for behind the goal. the existing structure would have to go even if you left the non built side open (after lifting the foundations already in place over there) there still wouldnt be enough width for a gaa pitch. so even the stand thats there would be far too wide and only on two sides.

is this still looking like a 'southside parnell park' or a butchering job so that Rovers are forced to look elsewhere longer term as the stadium is of no use to them or anyone?

dubnut

Sweet holy god let it go rovershooliganfella  ::)

lynchbhoy

from the image / aerial view displayed - this looks like if could just about accomodate a GAA pitch within regulation width - It looks like it would be much like O'Toole park - where one side of the pitch is very close to the boundary wall.

Certainly there is plenty of room for elongating the pitch to GAA standards (using what I see and withough a tape measure)
and still have enough space to put a stand at either end of the pitch - given the depth of the main stand in the pic , the stands behind the goals would take up a similar amount of room...

I would have to get the width measured to see if this could be of GAA regulation size.

Its a pity the main stand was built already as a full sized pitch and stands ringing the pitch would have been great.
I dont think that this current set up would be in a position to accomodate an athletics track either - which I dont believe is on the agenda - another huge oversight.

if the pitch width cannot take the GAA pitch width, I can then understand why ODonoghue wants to keep this ground the way it is, as it would obv cost quite a bit to pull down the existing stand and build another one.

Maybe those sham rovers volunteers could do it for nothing - GAA Style?

tayto

Jesus , get the diggers in to remove the planned stands on the end. No architect could possibly have drawn up other plans by now, only super architect could have done such a feat.  ??? ??? ???

Note you ignore sharkys very valid points that you are a new company when it suits, ie debts, yet want to take credit for the old company when it suits ie, paid for something. Also Rosfan has raised serious doubts about any monies put to the project by SR. So it is indeed, more or less, a free stadium, no?

dublinfella

Quote from: tayto on March 29, 2007, 05:14:01 PM
Jesus , get the diggers in to remove the planned stands on the end. No architect could possibly have drawn up other plans by now, only super architect could have done such a feat.  ??? ??? ???

Christ Tayto, ever heard of planning permission? This is getting surreal.

Quote from: tayto on March 29, 2007, 05:14:01 PM
Note you ignore sharkys very valid points that you are a new company when it suits, ie debts, yet want to take credit for the old company when it suits ie, paid for something. Also Rosfan has raised serious doubts about any monies put to the project by SR. So it is indeed, more or less, a free stadium, no?

the point i was making was that there are certain mantras that have been accepted as fact on this issue by the GAA community. one of which was that the state was funding this 100%. thats at best disputed.

im not denying Rovers have come up trumps here, but some of the stuff printed recently was plain innaccurate.

tayto

Christ Dublinfella i've heard of planning alright, surely if the minister and council wanted it planning wouldnt be a minor issue. They managed to get planning for a 50k seater in the middle of ballsbridge i think they would solve this extension ...

Well seems to me the free stadium thing is pretty much accurate, see below ...

Quote from: dublinfella on March 28, 2007, 04:17:46 PM
How much of an investment towards the total cost of the operation have Sham Rovs actually staked?

The figure mentioned of SRFC's financial contribution to date is €2m