More Thuggery on the GAA field

Started by agorm, January 23, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: stephenite on February 13, 2012, 11:53:45 AM
I'm sure it was pre-orchestrated. They had to say something about it. I don't get the notion that McStay "wanted" to be the man to say it, I don't really care.

If it was O'Rourke who said the same thing would it change anyone's opinion or is it still a f**king conspiracy?

There was nothing wrong with the comment, it was just a blatantly truthful observation.

It was a self evident truth alright. If Derrytresk hadn't had 7 people suspended and the whole rigamarole leading up to the final, then they'd have had a better chance. Someone who never laced up a pair of boots or watched a game could tell you that.

I don't understand a) Why they had to mention it at all when they didn't mention the bigger game, and b) Why they had to say something that was so obviously true.

ONeill

Well, knowing that O'Rourke thought the whole thing was blown out of proportion, they knew not to ask him.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on February 13, 2012, 11:34:28 AM
Quote from: Hardy on February 13, 2012, 11:25:45 AM
People still don't get it. Fisticuffs in a match, while regrettable, are commonplace. Generally, the sanctions work close to adequately, though we will always have room for debate, bemoan inconsistency, etc. Subs and spectators coming out of the stand is on a whole different level.

It's not the same as player-to-player violence in the context of the game on the pitch. It's as simple as that. Do people not think pitch invasions from the stands for the purpose of attacking players should be treated with the utmost severity?

That's why selecting individual clips of misbehaviour on the field, or referring to incidents between players in other matches is stupid, irrelevant and misses the point completely.

The subs, the supporters and the handbagwoman are the reasons Derrytresk got what they got. That's it.

I'm afraid you're completely missing the point. Derrytresk fully accept any suspensions arising out of the sub/fan involvement. Derrytresk's FB was suspended for something that was supposed to have happened at a different stage in the game. Where was the consistency in terms of what happened on the field?

Are you saying that because the subs got involved, the authorities were then allowed to exercise severity on anything else that Derrytresk may have been involved in on the field?

My point was about posters here posting up random examples of incidents that happened in games and especially the dragging of Kildare v. Monaghan into it. Are they suggesting that players involved in pushing and shoving should be punished as severely as players who come out of the stand to assault those on the field? Otherwise, what's their point? The whinging about "injustice" and perceived anti-northern bias is just tiresome.

year til sunday

I'm sure it was pre-orchestrated. They had to say something about it. I don't get the notion that McStay "wanted" to be the man to say it, I don't really care.

If it was O'Rourke who said the same thing would it change anyone's opinion or is it still a f**king conspiracy?

There was nothing wrong with the comment, it was just a blatantly truthful observation.

well here's another then; Derrytresk were rode roughshod over since having the audacity to beat a Kerry team in an All-Ireland Semi Final, the suspensions and fines have been disproportionate and inconsistently applied, and there has been an alarming level of xenophobic slur/ramblings/rants against gaels from Tyrone

stephenite

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 13, 2012, 11:58:30 AM

It was a self evident truth alright. If Derrytresk hadn't had 7 people suspended and the whole rigamarole leading up to the final, then they'd have had a better chance. Someone who never laced up a pair of boots or watched a game could tell you that.

I don't understand a) Why they had to mention it at all when they didn't mention the bigger game, and b) Why they had to say something that was so obviously true.

It had to be mentioned because of the whole publicity surrounding the incident during the sem final.

That there is an overall media conspiracy against all representatives of Ulster GAA is something I don't believe, but if others see it that way from a different perspective, that's their call and they're the ones feeling aggrieved.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the comment from McStay.

stephenite

Quote from: year til sunday on February 13, 2012, 12:03:57 PM

well here's another then; Derrytresk were rode roughshod over since having the audacity to beat a Kerry team in an All-Ireland Semi Final, the suspensions and fines have been disproportionate and inconsistently applied, and there has been an alarming level of xenophobic slur/ramblings/rants against gaels from Tyrone

And Kevin McStay has been recorded uttering Xenophobic slurs against Gaels from Tyrone has he?

ONeill

Make your own mind up. I know you can never really assess someone's intentions with 100% accuracy and I know it can come across as being a bit paranoid but I found this condescending. What was his point?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_8DTquCiQs

year til sunday

Quote from: stephenite on February 13, 2012, 12:10:38 PM

And Kevin McStay has been recorded uttering Xenophobic slurs against Gaels from Tyrone has he?

i didn't say he had but you'll find plenty on the previous 79 pages. Kevin has a national platform and got his word in fair play to him, i wouldn't give it too much credence though, he could have had one of those famous brain-farts and name dropped Derrytresk while he was actually talking about Dromid, funnily enough that would make more sense as Dromid didn't make the final and having two players sent off during the game probably contributed to that; therefore were the masters of their own demise

Tubberman

Quote from: ONeill on February 13, 2012, 12:12:53 PM
Make your own mind up. I know you can never really assess someone's intentions with 100% accuracy and I know it can come across as being a bit paranoid but I found this condescending. What was his point?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_8DTquCiQs

Thanks for the link. I don't think there's anything wrong with what he said. He didn't say it in a cruel or condescending way. He said Derrytresk were down 7 players as a result of their own actions, and it probably cost them the All-Ireland.
What is wrong with that?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tubberman

Xenophobia is defined as "an unreasonable fear of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange.

So which are ye - foreign or strange?  ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Jinxy on February 12, 2012, 11:28:50 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 12, 2012, 11:16:39 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on February 12, 2012, 10:54:00 PM
There was very little in that 'row' in Clones today and you know it.
Was a single human being struck or injured in any way shape or form?
Did any subs or fans come piling onto the pitch?
From watching both on Telly I'd say there was much the same in both incidents.
Reports are that's mentors and subs from both teams were involved.
This time I hope the media stay out of it and there will. It be the same level of frenzy and suspensions metted out. We will see.

No mentors or subs came onto the field of play.
Pushing and shoving in the tunnel as they go in at half-time is very different from running onto the field and throwing punches.
For people telling me to 'move on', maybe if you stopped indulging in whataboutery we could all move on.
look at the highlights of the kildare v monaghan incident again.

there were mentors in the middle of the field let alone barely over he sideline in which the derrytreask incident occurred.

apart from handbag 'lady' there was no violent incident after the derry treask game with people on the pitch.

what are you talking about regarding whataboutery - this is like for like - but not as sensationalist as there were no subs jumping over fences - there was no fence to jump over !

def the derrytreak thing looked worse because of this but just because the subs, players and mentors did the same but out of view of the public eye - what is the difference?

do we want to stamp this out or just stamp it out when its in plain view ?

come on , be honest with yourself !

check over the incidents again and see for yourself!!

I thought both incidents were feck all, but if we ae to eradicate thse things then it needs to be consistent.

orangeman

Consistency is all that Derrytresk and everybody else is looking for.

If not, the accusation will rightly follow that there is a different set of rules being applied.

year til sunday

Quote from: Tubberman on February 13, 2012, 12:31:01 PM

Xenophobia is defined as "an unreasonable fear of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange.

So which are ye - foreign or strange?  ;)

beauty is in the eye of the beholder, i'm not sure its possible to be xenophobic towards oneself as an individual

good use of the online dictionary there  :P

Rossfan

How long will it be before this thread makes page 100 ?  ;D

If ever there was a time for moving on..... Mod how about closing this as the same oul tirades keep getting repeated.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ONeill

Quote from: Rossfan on February 13, 2012, 12:57:04 PM
How long will it be before this thread makes page 100 ?  ;D

If ever there was a time for moving on..... Mod how about closing this as the same oul tirades keep getting repeated.

You are some boys to talk  http://www.facebook.com/events/226988494020828/