More Thuggery on the GAA field

Started by agorm, January 23, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

There was one punch thrown in the kildare - monaghan match. The guy who punched was lined.

To be fair to refs etc they did well to pick your man out. They'd the whole of half time to decide their actions.

The Derrytresk thing was blown out of all proportion and comments like McStays probably back up Benny Harps theory that it has been portrayed as all their fault. Not good for the club and probably also illustrates that it was trial by media.

stephenite

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 13, 2012, 10:53:37 AM
Well, I would say the general media perception is that Dromid are whiter than white and they don't really have to release any more media statements or videos. As McStays comments last night proved, Derrytresk are viewed as the big bad wolves of this story and I don't blame them if they wish to release images of Dromid players kicking and punching their way through the game.

McStays comments prove nothing of the sort.

Sandino

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 13, 2012, 10:27:14 AM
Seriously lads. There's umpteen other incidents like this on the other side that could be released too. What's to be gained now?

Ah Az where is that great sense of justice that you have been searching for over the last seventy pages. Two dirty assults yet you again suggest there's nothing to be gained by highlighting them. For one they show that Dromid was guilty of at least two assults and that they were far from the purists they claimed to be. They also show some of the abuse taken by Derrytresk in this game. finally they show or rather your repsonse to the video shows that your comments were not about justice but more about defending the thuggery of some of the Dromid players.

Justice for all teams notm just Kerry teams. As I said earlier I await the next big brawl were puches are thrown to see if this is a new start for the GAA or just bias against a small Tyrone Parish.

Congratulations to Clonbur the media have not given this club credit for their victory, well done.

"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Hardy

People still don't get it. Fisticuffs in a match, while regrettable, are commonplace. Generally, the sanctions work close to adequately, though we will always have room for debate, bemoan inconsistency, etc. Subs and spectators coming out of the stand is on a whole different level.

It's not the same as player-to-player violence in the context of the game on the pitch. It's as simple as that. Do people not think pitch invasions from the stands for the purpose of attacking players should be treated with the utmost severity?

That's why selecting individual clips of misbehaviour on the field, or referring to incidents between players in other matches is stupid, irrelevant and misses the point completely.

The subs, the supporters and the handbagwoman are the reasons Derrytresk got what they got. That's it.

BennyHarp

Quote from: stephenite on February 13, 2012, 11:19:25 AM
Well, I would say the general media perception is that Dromid are whiter than white and they don't really have to release any more media statements or videos. As McStays comments last night proved, Derrytresk are viewed as the big bad wolves of this story and I don't blame them if they wish to release images of Dromid players kicking and punching their way through the game.

Actually, on reflection - McStays comments never prove anything. A coherent point needs to be made backed up by evidence for proof to be asserted. I agree, this is not McStay's forte.
That was never a square ball!!

AZOffaly

Quote from: Sandino on February 13, 2012, 11:20:45 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 13, 2012, 10:27:14 AM
Seriously lads. There's umpteen other incidents like this on the other side that could be released too. What's to be gained now?

Ah Az where is that great sense of justice that you have been searching for over the last seventy pages. Two dirty assults yet you again suggest there's nothing to be gained by highlighting them. For one they show that Dromid was guilty of at least two assults and that they were far from the purists they claimed to be. They also show some of the abuse taken by Derrytresk in this game. finally they show or rather your repsonse to the video shows that your comments were not about justice but more about defending the thuggery of some of the Dromid players.

Justice for all teams notm just Kerry teams. As I said earlier I await the next big brawl were puches are thrown to see if this is a new start for the GAA or just bias against a small Tyrone Parish.

Congratulations to Clonbur the media have not given this club credit for their victory, well done.

Certainly 2 incidents at least which should have been red cards I'd have thought. But I still think there's nothing to be gained by highlighting them now, although I can understand why Derrytresk want to say 'There was two of us in it'. I don't think anyone thinks that there was only one crowd in it, and the fact that the GAA have suspended Dromid players, and fined the club, backs that up too.

I have been consistant in my stance all the way through this. Anyone who did anything wrong should have been punished, regardless of their jersey colour. I do think the biggest wrong was the subs and supporters getting involved in a row on the field, but I fully accept that Dromid had players that were in the wrong too. That has been my position since the start, and more so since I saw the video, so please don't try and misrepresent me just because it doesn't suit your agenda of a bias against Derrytresk.

What I am asking now is why are these released NOW. Were they seen by the CCC? If not, why not, and if so why did the CCC do nothing about them. And finally, if Dromid release a load of video clips showing bad behaviour by Derrytresk, would that be redressing the balance agian, or would that be whinging by them?

Anyone who struck should have been sent off, and suspended.

Nally Stand

Quote from: clarshack on February 13, 2012, 10:19:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj17hnMMPWc

11 secs in

2 mins 29 secs in

these are the 2 incidents that mickey harte talked about in his column on friday

NO!! It's all computer generated images. It's a fake. Kerry players wouldn't behave like such animals. Only nordies do.

IT'S OK - THE VIDEO IS A FAKE. THE ARMS ARE TOO LONG TO BE REAL.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

ONeill

Quote from: Hardy on February 13, 2012, 11:25:45 AM
People still don't get it. Fisticuffs in a match, while regrettable, are commonplace. Generally, the sanctions work close to adequately, though we will always have room for debate, bemoan inconsistency, etc. Subs and spectators coming out of the stand is on a whole different level.

It's not the same as player-to-player violence in the context of the game on the pitch. It's as simple as that. Do people not think pitch invasions from the stands for the purpose of attacking players should be treated with the utmost severity?

That's why selecting individual clips of misbehaviour on the field, or referring to incidents between players in other matches is stupid, irrelevant and misses the point completely.

The subs, the supporters and the handbagwoman are the reasons Derrytresk got what they got. That's it.

I'm afraid you're completely missing the point. Derrytresk fully accept any suspensions arising out of the sub/fan involvement. Derrytresk's FB was suspended for something that was supposed to have happened at a different stage in the game. Where was the consistency in terms of what happened on the field?

Are you saying that because the subs got involved, the authorities were then allowed to exercise severity on anything else that Derrytresk may have been involved in on the field?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

year til sunday

whereas Dromid didn't get what they should've because they are from Kerry, O'Sullivan a high profile Kerry player, and that they involved themselves in a media witch-hunt of Derrytresk

stephenite

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 13, 2012, 11:26:49 AM

Actually, on reflection - McStays comments never prove anything. A coherent point needs to be made backed up by evidence for proof to be asserted. I agree, this is not McStay's forte.

No, you're still not getting it.

Take the following scenario, Dromid won the semi but with Declan O'Sullivan and 2 others suspended and they lost the final. McStays comments would be equally valid.
That Derrytresk lost the match by 1 point, make the leap in assumption they'd have probably won the match if even their subs have stayed put, an easy one to make. That's not anyone's fault but members and players of Derrytresk, it's certainly not Kevin McStays fault, and he shouldn't be castigated for calling it as it is.

It's not a very difficult coherent point to make, you'll see this once you take your head out of your hole.

AZOffaly

Quote from: year til sunday on February 13, 2012, 11:37:45 AM

whereas Dromid didn't get what they should've because they are from Kerry, O'Sullivan a high profile Kerry player, and that they involved themselves in a media witch-hunt of Derrytresk

The Dromid suspensions handed out were longer than the subs got for coming into the row. No idea why Declan O'Sullivan wasn't sent off or suspended, the GAA would be better lads to ask there, but being a hgh profile Kerry player hasn't helped Tomás O'Sé or Paul Galvin in the past.

ONeill

Quote from: stephenite on February 13, 2012, 11:40:24 AM

Take the following scenario, Dromid won the semi but with Declan O'Sullivan and 2 others suspended and they lost the final. McStays comments would be equally valid.
That Derrytresk lost the match by 1 point, make the leap in assumption they'd have probably won the match if even their subs have stayed put, an easy one to make. That's not anyone's fault but members and players of Derrytresk, it's certainly not Kevin McStays fault, and he shouldn't be castigated for calling it as it is.

It's not a very difficult coherent point to make, you'll see this once you take your head out of your hole.

It was obvious that it was pre-orchestrated. No mention of the Intermediate final. No mention even of Tyrone v Derry. McStay wanted his little bit from the pulpit. O'Rourke wasn't asked but sure why the feck would he want to talk about a Junior final.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ONeill on February 13, 2012, 11:46:42 AM
Quote from: stephenite on February 13, 2012, 11:40:24 AM

It was obvious that it was pre-orchestrated. No mention of the Intermediate final. No mention even of Tyrone v Derry. McStay wanted his little bit from the pulpit. O'Rourke wasn't asked but sure why the feck would he want to talk about a Junior final.

It was pre-orchestrated, and I thought it was very strange the way they segued to it even. they didn't even say well done to Miltown Castlemaine - A KERRY CLUB!!!!!!! ;)

orangeman

Kildare manager Kieran McGeeney does not expect more punishments following a brawl between his players and Monaghan's during their Allianz Football League match in Clones.

A heated exchanged before half-time between the two sets of players marred the game with Brian Flanagan sent off before the second-half resumed.

McGeeney said: "I didn't really see it. There seemed to be something on the pitch and then it went to the sideline. Then there was people shouting at each other going into the tunnel.

"It is hard to know what is going on inside other people's mind when those things are happening.

"There is a lot of testosterone flowing out there, things happen and people don't want to seen that they are backing down. That's about the size of it.

stephenite

I'm sure it was pre-orchestrated. They had to say something about it. I don't get the notion that McStay "wanted" to be the man to say it, I don't really care.

If it was O'Rourke who said the same thing would it change anyone's opinion or is it still a f**king conspiracy?

There was nothing wrong with the comment, it was just a blatantly truthful observation.