More Thuggery on the GAA field

Started by agorm, January 23, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornafean

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on February 09, 2012, 12:19:54 PM
Editing of the jersey apart, I think the actual photograph is identical. I don't believe you can say with any certainty what happened in that infamous incident based on that photograph. Jordan may be in the midst of a punch on Marsden or he may be grabbing or pushing at the top part of Marsden's jersey. Marsden similarly may have just delivered a punch, or alternatively merely fended off the onrushing Jordan. Anyway, what I am certain of is that there was no cheating on Philip Jordan's part as he's recently made clear on twitter his disdain for cheating in other sports by people like Roberto Mancini so obviously he'd never stoop to those depths himself.

If Diarmuid had displayed a closed fist in any of the footage or unedited photos of the 2003 AIF incident, his red card would not have been rescinded.  If we accept that the O'Sullivan photo is unedited (as the Irish Times apparently do but you never know these days), it clearly shows Declan displaying a closed fist in an altercation situation. Declan clearly must explain this or face consequences.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Jinxy

The only thing worse than the whingers is the anti-whinging whingers.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: God14 on February 09, 2012, 12:22:56 PM
Considering the referee is approx 7 or 8 meters from the incident surely he would seen the incident & noted it in his report? O'Sullivan surely looking at a 6-8 week suspension here.

This whole saga stinks of double standards, and no doubt O'Sullivan will not even be summoned to explain his actions.

In the photo the referee is not looking in the direction of the incident so I doubt he saw it and therefore it wouldn't be in his report.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

fitzroyalty

I have only skimmed through the thread and can't be arsed going back to check but did handbag-gate result in a ban to the woman? If so that's a joke. How petty are the Kerry ones to report getting a slap with a handbag!? There's lads who would have worse done to them in the bedroom!

As for Declan O'Sullivan, striking is striking and that's what the picture shows. Derrytresk could easily go on a witch-hunt like the Pearses have in the last number of weeks and get him suspended.

God14

I wonder will Diarmuid Ó Sé (Kerry county board cultural officer & a selector with Dromid Pearses) be as quick to make a statement to the press today?  :P

""There were inadequate stewards at the ground, people were able to get onto the pitch and throw punches at our players. Declan O'Sullivan got struck by a handbag and was struck by a Derrytresk supporter as well. That was seen by a steward and the Garda have it documented. But it's not good enough and I cannot understand how the GAA can allow this to happen. The GAA have video evidence available and maybe its time to use it"

Monday, January 23, 2012

Applesisapples

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 09, 2012, 11:35:10 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on February 09, 2012, 11:13:43 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 09, 2012, 09:18:35 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 09, 2012, 08:48:43 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on February 09, 2012, 12:58:37 AM
Why was a Derrytresk sub near him in the first place?
Commiserating with him no doubt.
Anyway, still pictures can be very misleading.

::) How is this picture misleading?

Because it doesn't show context. Is this retalliation or did O'Sullivan just walk up and clatter this fella? I don't know either way, but that's why video is much better than stills. I certainly think this was the precursor to the handbag lady alright.
What hypocrisy, the row started because a Derrytresk player retaliated, you can't have your cake and eat it. Derrytresk were tried by the court of public opinion. The sadest part of all of this is an anti Northern bias both on here and in the southern media which is nothing short of shameful.

What are you talking about? At least read my posts before you take them out of context. And I have absolutely no anti Ulster bias, so you can pick that up off the floor too. What I said, if you bothered to read it, was that the picture tells us nothing except that #11 struck, which was wrong, absolutely. The 'row' started because a mentor and a Dromid player got involved with each other, and escalated when the subs cleared the first fence. I'm sure all of that (which we all saw on video for context) was debated in the hearings.

All I am saying here is that the picture shows a punch, and nothing else. Just like this one...

Maybe take your own advice and read what I wrote. Firstly you introduced the prospect of the punch being retaliatory, my point being that shouldn't be an excuse. Secondly I didn't accuse you of this bias but the media and others on here. To finish I would agree that pictures can not be viewed out of context.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: God14 on February 09, 2012, 12:41:52 PM
I wonder will Diarmuid Ó Sé (Kerry county board cultural officer & a selector with Dromid Pearses) be as quick to make a statement to the press today?  :P

""There were inadequate stewards at the ground, people were able to get onto the pitch and throw punches at our players. Declan O'Sullivan got struck by a handbag and was struck by a Derrytresk supporter as well. That was seen by a steward and the Garda have it documented. But it's not good enough and I cannot understand how the GAA can allow this to happen. The GAA have video evidence available and maybe its time to use it"

Monday, January 23, 2012

That photograph does nothing to cast doubt on the credibility of the above.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

AZOffaly

Quote from: fitzroyalty on February 09, 2012, 12:39:03 PM
I have only skimmed through the thread and can't be arsed going back to check but did handbag-gate result in a ban to the woman? If so that's a joke. How petty are the Kerry ones to report getting a slap with a handbag!? There's lads who would have worse done to them in the bedroom!

As for Declan O'Sullivan, striking is striking and that's what the picture shows. Derrytresk could easily go on a witch-hunt like the Pearses have in the last number of weeks and get him suspended.

I presume that's exactly what they are doing. And if he's brought up, he'll get a suspension for that I'm sure. Beware the hidden footage though. I have a feeling both sides are holding cards close to their chests relating to other incidents, it's like a poker game :D I'm hoping it will all be over and done with when the final is played, so everyone can just move on.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 09, 2012, 12:46:25 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 09, 2012, 11:35:10 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on February 09, 2012, 11:13:43 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 09, 2012, 09:18:35 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 09, 2012, 08:48:43 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on February 09, 2012, 12:58:37 AM
Why was a Derrytresk sub near him in the first place?
Commiserating with him no doubt.
Anyway, still pictures can be very misleading.

::) How is this picture misleading?

Because it doesn't show context. Is this retalliation or did O'Sullivan just walk up and clatter this fella? I don't know either way, but that's why video is much better than stills. I certainly think this was the precursor to the handbag lady alright.
What hypocrisy, the row started because a Derrytresk player retaliated, you can't have your cake and eat it. Derrytresk were tried by the court of public opinion. The sadest part of all of this is an anti Northern bias both on here and in the southern media which is nothing short of shameful.

What are you talking about? At least read my posts before you take them out of context. And I have absolutely no anti Ulster bias, so you can pick that up off the floor too. What I said, if you bothered to read it, was that the picture tells us nothing except that #11 struck, which was wrong, absolutely. The 'row' started because a mentor and a Dromid player got involved with each other, and escalated when the subs cleared the first fence. I'm sure all of that (which we all saw on video for context) was debated in the hearings.

All I am saying here is that the picture shows a punch, and nothing else. Just like this one...

Maybe take your own advice and read what I wrote. Firstly you introduced the prospect of the punch being retaliatory, my point being that shouldn't be an excuse. Secondly I didn't accuse you of this bias but the media and others on here. To finish I would agree that pictures can not be viewed out of context.

I never used it as an excuse. I was responding to a question as to why a still picture can be misleading. Your last sentence is exactly my point. We are in violent agreement :D

Keane

If that picture is unaltered I'll shoot myself in the face. The state of it.

God14

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on February 09, 2012, 12:46:50 PM
Quote from: God14 on February 09, 2012, 12:41:52 PM

Monday, January 23, 2012

That photograph does nothing to cast doubt on the credibility of the above.

- your right it doesnt. Thats not my point. If dromid / kerry were so quick to run to the press then about this very incident, then they should also be available & make comment now. i.e he should also impicate / condemn his own player, when he was so quick off the mark to condemn others
Also - is it fair to lambast the GAA itself, the stewarding arrangements, the opposing players / fans - and not mention the fact that your own star player busted some young lad?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Tut, tut, Declan O'Sullivan, maybe that handbag wasn't quite heavy enough!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

sheamy

fck me, is this what we've come to? That's photo-shopped. It's obvious and it's not even a good attempt.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: sheamy on February 09, 2012, 01:12:52 PM
fck me, is this what we've come to? That's photo-shopped. It's obvious and it's not even a good attempt.

Try it in here.

http://www.pskiller.com/

Keane

You don't even need to test it tbh, the player's legs are very clearly cropped.