Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mup

It was a genuine question. Im not living in the county anymore and I know there was one high profile transfer. I dont know the bye laws in Kildare.

But I know of inter club transfers where Im living where the players have been tapped up. It drives me mad that people consider the Sj saga to be the end of the Gaa as we know it yet its happening at local levels (and inter county) for year.

Why is the sh1t only hitting the fan now?

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 28, 2012, 06:48:25 PM
Quote from: mup on May 28, 2012, 06:08:33 PM
Dinny, this is not a dig and I don't know the full story so forgive me if I'm wrong. Did your own club not 'bring in' a couple of outsiders from a neighbouring club in recent years?

If you mean did we facilitate the transfer of players from another club to our own in recent seasons well then the answer is yes, the same thing that happens at club level every day of the week across the country. They had there own reasons for wanting to join Towers and they certainly weren't contrived, there is no parish rule in Kildare and the transfers were sanction under Kildare GAA by-laws governing such transfers. As a rule of thumb in Kildare a player can seek a transfer if wants to play at a higher level and the transfer is generally granted. But I guess you know all that are just trying to play the hypocrite card but surely you can see the difference between those type of local transfers compared to this national inter-county transfer.

Very hard to know where the line is drawn though Dinny. All the things you and others are saying about Johnston - that he has no connection to the place and that his arrival stunts homegrown players' development - could also be said of the type of club transfers you're talking about.
I've said it a hundred times - I believe this transfer is wrong - but don't cod yourself that there's this never-before-broken-ethos that Johnston is the first to break.
Boys switch clubs all over the country because they've had a falling out or they want a chance to win things or both. It is less common on the inter-county scene but it has still happened all over the shop. Johnston's problem is he's been honest about that while the likes of Billy Sheehan and Thomas Walsh weren't.

Jinxy

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on May 28, 2012, 07:34:38 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 28, 2012, 06:48:25 PM
Quote from: mup on May 28, 2012, 06:08:33 PM
Dinny, this is not a dig and I don't know the full story so forgive me if I'm wrong. Did your own club not 'bring in' a couple of outsiders from a neighbouring club in recent years?

If you mean did we facilitate the transfer of players from another club to our own in recent seasons well then the answer is yes, the same thing that happens at club level every day of the week across the country. They had there own reasons for wanting to join Towers and they certainly weren't contrived, there is no parish rule in Kildare and the transfers were sanction under Kildare GAA by-laws governing such transfers. As a rule of thumb in Kildare a player can seek a transfer if wants to play at a higher level and the transfer is generally granted. But I guess you know all that are just trying to play the hypocrite card but surely you can see the difference between those type of local transfers compared to this national inter-county transfer.

Very hard to know where the line is drawn though Dinny. All the things you and others are saying about Johnston - that he has no connection to the place and that his arrival stunts homegrown players' development - could also be said of the type of club transfers you're talking about.
I've said it a hundred times - I believe this transfer is wrong - but don't cod yourself that there's this never-before-broken-ethos that Johnston is the first to break.
Boys switch clubs all over the country because they've had a falling out or they want a chance to win things or both. It is less common on the inter-county scene but it has still happened all over the shop. Johnston's problem is he's been honest about that while the likes of Billy Sheehan and Thomas Walsh weren't.

Good one!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

boojangles

Quote from: Jinxy on May 28, 2012, 06:20:40 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 28, 2012, 05:36:38 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 28, 2012, 05:27:28 PM
Looks like civil war in Kildare.
Our forces are at a heightened state of readiness at the border crossings in Maynooth and Kilcock lest it spillover.
All fleeing refugees will be met with cold steel and a hail of half-empty mineral bottles.

The artillery up in Kells from 1997 are being redeployed south to Walterstown, Kilcloon, Blackhall, Longwood and Enfield so?

;)

There's a rumour about that Seanie initially tried to transfer to us but was politely rebuffed from a distance of about 30 yards after approaching on foot waving a white flag.

No Cavan men. Only Leitrim men.  :P

Jinxy

And only if we get them young enough to civilize them.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

boojangles

Quote from: Jinxy on May 28, 2012, 08:16:12 PM
And only if we get them young enough to civilize them.

Haha. Well yas certainly 'civilised' Colm. I'd say he's some crack, the jawskin.

Dinny Breen

QuoteI've said it a hundred times - I believe this transfer is wrong - but don't cod yourself that there's this never-before-broken-ethos that Johnston is the first to break.

I agree with this and have discussed the hypocrisy at length already, I think I touched on it back in January, Christ this saga is dragging. AZ has the right idea, the GAA need to bite the bullet and rip up the rule book and start afresh, it's a complete farce.
#newbridgeornowhere

Armaghgeddon

Has he played a game for St Kevins yet?

Bingo

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on May 29, 2012, 12:31:51 PM
Has he played a game for St Kevins yet?

He doesn't know where the pitch is.  ;)

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 28, 2012, 09:43:24 PM

QuoteI've said it a hundred times - I believe this transfer is wrong - but don't cod yourself that there's this never-before-broken-ethos that Johnston is the first to break.

I agree with this and have discussed the hypocrisy at length already, I think I touched on it back in January, Christ this saga is dragging. AZ has the right idea, the GAA need to bite the bullet and rip up the rule book and start afresh, it's a complete farce.
Of all the parties involved in this dispute, Seanie seems to have fared out best of all.
He got his transfer, as he was always going to ,and having to shack down in Straffan won't unduly interfere with his job.
Cavan is 77 miles approx. from Straffan and the M3 covers most of the route. I'd say he should make the journey easily in under 90 minutes most of the time.
His summer holidays are coming up so he will probably remain in Kildare most of the time.
But when he returns to work, his football commitments are going to ease off and I expect him to stay with his mammy a lot of the time.
Moving to Straffan is not going to be a big deal after all.
Geezer & Co. have got their man alright but when he eventually gets onto the panel, he may be more of a distraction than anything else.
AZ is right; the GAA has fared out worst of all.   The rule book is in serious need of a complete revamp.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Ard-Rí

Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

screenexile

Dinny Breen

The CCCC have been informed by the CAC to ratify the transfer, seemingly will be done and dusted once and for all on Tuesday.

#newbridgeornowhere

orangeman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 01, 2012, 04:37:15 PM
The CCCC have been informed by the CAC to ratify the transfer, seemingly will be done and dusted once and for all on Tuesday.

Surely it should read, "Welcome to Straffan" ?.