Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

Where is RichieJ , i miss his contributions.

LeoMc

Hashtag

I hope someone signs Leighton Glynn soon. One of my favourite players but his current county is a bit bwallllllls. Want to see him on the biggest stage.
Sign him up.
I'm all for the transfer of Seanie Johnston. He wasn't getting picked for his own county but had aspirations to play county football. What was he suppose to do? Sit at home and regret it in later life. Hope he produces the goods on the big day now.
Kildare have come up short in the last few years, maybe he is the little bit extra they need.

Go home ref

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on May 28, 2012, 10:20:34 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 27, 2012, 10:56:11 PM
Sure we've plenty of above average players as it is. No need for another one. Fionn Dowling gave two Kildare defenders a hard time of it for Suncroft against Celbridge last weekend and young Mellett from Naas was excellent against the Sash. They're some of the lads we should be focussing on.

I agree with you, I wish the transfer never happened and I don't think it's right.

But I'm also making three points:
1) Johnston is a better player than some people make out
2) Croke Park have made a special case of this and are not being even-handed.
3) People pretending this transfer is a new departure or something are a joke. Look at two men slating Johnston on Sunday Game: Tony Davis, who owes his two All-Ireland medals to two Kildare men, and Colm Parkinson, who of course played for Parnells for the love of it. You couldn't make it up.

I wonder did that gobshite Parkinson ever express his opinion to Billy Sheehan the great Laois man who "lives in Laois"

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 28, 2012, 11:29:10 AM
Quote from: Hardy on May 28, 2012, 11:15:58 AM
Quote from: Hound on May 28, 2012, 10:54:09 AM
Lads who move counties for genuine reasons (say work or family reasons) and decide to throw their lot in with their new county of residence is a lot different to Johnston (though I admit I can't remember what the circumstances were around Fahy and Tompkins).

Just relying on memory here, but I think Tompkins was in the States when he got an offer to come home to a job in Cork and a place on the team. Now I imagine he wouldn't have been offered the job if he wasn't a footballer, but it's hard to see anything wrong with an emigrant seizing the chance to come home. Whatever about the spirit, he complied completely with the letter of the rule. He actually lived in Cork. And, in case there are any lingering doubts about an address of convenience, he still does.

Fahy was in the army and stationed in Cork, as I remember. No issue there.

I'm off now to scrub my hands after typing a defence of Corkies.

Tompkins was flying home regularly to play for Kildare, he fell out with the County Board in particular Seamus Aldridge over reimbursements of flights, that is when Castlehaven and Cork GAA stepped in. Tompkins threw his lot in with Cork because of a falling out, while not the same as SJ, it is still another county approaching a player to play for them. It would like Conor Mortimor been approached by Dublin GAA because Parnells pay him to play football now.

In my book there is very little difference between Tompkins' transfer to Cork and Johntson's to Kildare. Two wrongs don't make a right, but it would be nice to see both wrongs treated the same. Instead Kildare is painted as having an 'anti-GAA' ethos while Larry and Cork are great lads.

Go home ref

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on May 28, 2012, 01:50:10 PM
Lads who move counties for genuine reasons (say work or family reasons) and decide to throw their lot in with their new county of residence is a lot different to Johnston (though I admit I can't remember what the circumstances were around Fahy and Tompkins).

Just relying on memory here, but I think Tompkins was in the States when he got an offer to come home to a job in Cork and a place on the team. Now I imagine he wouldn't have been offered the job if he wasn't a footballer, but it's hard to see anything wrong with an emigrant seizing the chance to come home. Whatever about the spirit, he complied completely with the letter of the rule. He actually lived in Cork. And, in case there are any lingering doubts about an address of convenience, he still does.

Tompkins was flying home regularly to play for Kildare, he fell out with the County Board in particular Seamus Aldridge over reimbursements of flights, that is when Castlehaven and Cork GAA stepped in. Tompkins threw his lot in with Cork because of a falling out, while not the same as SJ, it is still another county approaching a player to play for them. It would like Conor Mortimor been approached by Dublin GAA because Parnells pay him to play football now.

In my book there is very little difference between Tompkins' transfer to Cork and Johntson's to Kildare. Two wrongs don't make a right, but it would be nice to see both wrongs treated the same. Instead Kildare is painted as having an 'anti-GAA' ethos while Larry and Cork are great lads.

Exactly I didnt hear Tony Davis complaining about his mate Tompkins the Seanie Johnston thing is being used by those who hate McGeeney and Kildare to have a dig at us they dont give a f**k about the "GAA ethos" that they bang on about I hope Seanie lifts the Leinster and All -Ireland this year and shoves it down each and everyone of their throats

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 28, 2012, 01:01:50 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 28, 2012, 12:49:13 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 28, 2012, 12:24:11 PM
"The most disappointing thing for me is the way the Kildare Gaels have embraced this."

That's a rather sweeping generalisation from Brolly. Plenty of people in Kildare are against this move.

But the tide is turning DH, people are just pissed off with how it's been handled by the GAA and articles and comments like the above and others on Kildare's finances are creating rightly or wrongly a siege mentality in the county.

They are two simple truths yet everyone has an opinion regardless

1. It has not been disclosed by the Cavan Management or SJ why he was omitted from the Cavan squad.
2. It has not been disclosed by the Kildare Management or SJ how he ended requesting a transfer to Kildare.

Instead all we have is conjecture which as I far as I know is not enough to find anybody guilty of anything but is enough to send some posters into a rabid response.

It definitely seems to be the case but in truth this siege mentality thing is a load of old nonsense. Whatever happened to just going out and playing football? For all that people may think Mick O'Dwyer's philosophy on football is outdated nowadays, the man was lightyears ahead of his time when it came to dealing with the media.

The Kildare management will be providing enough rope to hang themselves if they keep going down this road. The clubs are cranky enough as it is because of the lack of access to county panelists and the way in which the club championships are put on hold for the county team. I haven't come across many voices in favour of this transfer in my own club and I'd say it's a similar story in every other club in the county bar Kevin's.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

mylestheslasher

Go home ref - if your opinion is the opinion of the majority of kildare supporters then I think Johnston has picked the perfect county to suit his own sense of self importance.

screenexile

So Tomkins was living AND working in Cork but travelling home to Kildare for games and matches. The County Board wouldn't pay for his travel (I'm guessing this would have been pretty expensive 25 years ago with flying) so he decided to play football for the county where he lives AND works.

Seanie Johnston is kicked off the panel in his own County with the most likely reason being he is a destructive influence on the panel and then throws his lot in with a county to which he neither lives NOR works in. . . maybe it's just me but are these not 2 complete polar opposites of reasons to transfer to another County?!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: screenexile on May 28, 2012, 02:11:07 PM

So Tomkins was living AND working in Cork but travelling home to Kildare for games and matches. The County Board wouldn't pay for his travel (I'm guessing this would have been pretty expensive 25 years ago with flying) so he decided to play football for the county where he lives AND works.

Seanie Johnston is kicked off the panel in his own County with the most likely reason being he is a destructive influence on the panel and then throws his lot in with a county to which he neither lives NOR works in. . . maybe it's just me but are these not 2 complete polar opposites of reasons to transfer to another County?!

KCB wouldn't fully reimburse Tompkins for flights home from America. He was not living or working in Cork at the time.

It's only a bit of whatabouttery anyway. It happened over a quarter of a century ago and it has no relevance to the Johnston case and neither do the likes of O'Dwyer, Lacey, Murphy, Divilly etc.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

johnneycool

Quote from: hardstation on May 28, 2012, 01:35:33 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 28, 2012, 01:04:40 PM
From Jerome Quinn on Twitter

Agreed with Joe Brolly on Seanie J but I've always wondered how Joe lives in Bredagh in Down but played for St Brigid's in Antrim
What? This doesn't make any sense, Jerome.

If I want to play for a club in Down I don't have to move to Down.

Normally you'd need an address in the county and parish alright, but a caravan would do.

Brolly lives on the Ravenhill road and in Down ,yet chose to play for St Brigids in Antrim. Don't know how the parish rule works in the Antrim end of Belfast, but would you not need an address in the catchment area of the club?

Ohtoohtobe

No, you've got that completely wrong.
Tompkins moved to Cork AFTER he fell out with Kildare. When DH talks about a falling out over flights, he's referring to flights home from the US, where Tompkins was playing in the mid-80s. He got the hump after that and was persuaded to move to Cork when he came home from America.

So you had a talented forward that fell out with his own county, courted/was courted by a county with more of a chance of success - and one he had no family connection to, or reason to play for - AFTER that falling out, and then transferred to them.
Pretty much the same as SJ, in other words. The only difference is that Johnston still works in Cavan, whereas Tompkins took a job in Cork after he decided to move there. But he was still brought to Cork to play football because they (primarily Castlehaven) saw an opportunity when things went sour between Larry and his native county.

kildare2012

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 28, 2012, 01:01:50 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 28, 2012, 12:49:13 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 28, 2012, 12:24:11 PM
"The most disappointing thing for me is the way the Kildare Gaels have embraced this."

That's a rather sweeping generalisation from Brolly. Plenty of people in Kildare are against this move.

But the tide is turning DH, people are just pissed off with how it's been handled by the GAA and articles and comments like the above and others on Kildare's finances are creating rightly or wrongly a siege mentality in the county.

They are two simple truths yet everyone has an opinion regardless

1. It has not been disclosed by the Cavan Management or SJ why he was omitted from the Cavan squad.
2. It has not been disclosed by the Kildare Management or SJ how he ended requesting a transfer to Kildare.

Instead all we have is conjecture which as I far as I know is not enough to find anybody guilty of anything but is enough to send some posters into a rabid response.

if you can remember on kfm seanie johnson stated his reasons for coming to kildare. you just listen to paper talk. and fact is he lives in straffan and has been seen there many a times

screenexile

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on May 28, 2012, 02:47:19 PM

No, you've got that completely wrong.
Tompkins moved to Cork AFTER he fell out with Kildare. When DH talks about a falling out over flights, he's referring to flights home from the US, where Tompkins was playing in the mid-80s. He got the hump after that and was persuaded to move to Cork when he came home from America.

So you had a talented forward that fell out with his own county, courted/was courted by a county with more of a chance of success - and one he had no family connection to, or reason to play for - AFTER that falling out, and then transferred to them.
Pretty much the same as SJ, in other words. The only difference is that Johnston still works in Cavan, whereas Tompkins took a job in Cork after he decided to move there. But he was still brought to Cork to play football because they (primarily Castlehaven) saw an opportunity when things went sour between Larry and his native county.

Fair enough I seem to have got it wrong I'll hold my hands up. . . in fairness to it though 2 wrongs don't make a right!

Ohtoohtobe

[/quote]
Fair enough I seem to have got it wrong I'll hold my hands up. . . in fairness to it though 2 wrongs don't make a right!
[/quote]

Yeah that's true