Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Why didn't he transfer to longford, leitrim, fermanagh etc. He could have lived there without the need to lie about his residence and still had a relatively easy commute. Answer, because he is a glory hunting mercenary. That's the difference.

DuffleKing

Whatever about the  moral rights and wrongs of Johnson's transfer, there is a fundamental rotten egg being conveniently ignored here. that is that whether we like it or not, Johnson meets all of the GAA's own criteria for a transfer from cavan to kevins but is now being denied by a systematic evasion of due process by croke park. cancelling meetings and deferring decisions is a very small approach to dealing with any issue.

Stevie g 8

Quote from: haranguerer on May 01, 2012, 10:31:04 PM
Quote from: spuds on May 01, 2012, 08:14:35 PM
You haranguer seem to lack the basics of the GAA with the constant references to allowing Seanie play at the highest level and Seanie should be able to play where he likes, catch a grip horseen, this is not the premiership. I'd venture that most posters here, as the majority of members of the GAA do, have a strong preference for this type of transferring not to be allowed and see it as a blight on our games.

Lack the basics of the gaa? Good man. You certainly, along with a lot of the others so vehemently against the transfer certainly dont lack the basics of hypocrisy.

These transfers happen all the time, at every level.  In this case, my issue isn't with any rules, including the transfer rule. Its with the application of these rules - they arent applied fairly. Not only are blind eyes turned most of the time, but the gaa actively encourage breaches  - see players hurling for weaker counties. Club footballers told to transfer to bigger clubs if they want to be considered for the county. The GAA know that this transfer, if seanie wants it to, will go through - the first request was denied merely in the hope that with the passage of time and acceptance, the media interest would die down.

So we have a rule that noone really gives a f**k about, until, along comes Seanie, decent player, denied top level football at the whim of a manager, wants to transfer to a team that may have a shout at Sam, everyone suddenly remembers the ethos of the GAA. When yous said nothing as it happened with players that didnt matter so much (its reassuring to know you were 'very much against' gallagher moving to cavan Myles, clearly a man of principle. you were pretty quiet about it tho) its very hard to take yous seriously now.

You're right, its not the premiership, seanie isnt getting paid. He still has to go and do a days work, then go to try to play a sport he loves, and now he knows that he is going to get probably the worst abuse any player has ever had to endure in any game he ever plays again, and in all likelihood, have this thrown in his face for the rest of his life,  because there are a crowd of arseholes who think gaa players owe them something. The more I listen to this indignant hypocritcal outrage, the more I hope he goes on and gets a f**king allstar
+1

screenexile

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 01, 2012, 11:30:13 PM
He chose Kildare i'd imagine to prove and test himself.. He would know he would have to work hard to make the team and earn his place on a team of good players. There is no harm in that he has only a few years left, nothing wrong with wanting to test yourself at the top. There was never any chance he would have played for Longford,Fermanagh or Meath all being big rivals to Cavan..

Only Fermanagh would be a rival to Cavan FFS! I agree with the general consensus. What's stopping him transferring to Monaghan, Leitrim, Longford etc?? He's a gloryhunter and it goes against the basic spirit of our game for him to go to Kildare in search of an All Ireland. If I were on the Kildare panel I'd be sick about the situation. Born and bred Kildare and would commit everything for the cause yet this a$$hole to whom the Kildare jersey means nothing is going to put me on the bench or off the panel?? No way it should be scrapped!!! Let him go to Longford and help their players!

haranguerer

So Myles, Screen, just to be clear, its grand(ish) for him to transfer, as long as he transfers to someone unlikely to be around at the business end of the summer? What about the ethos of the GAA, the parish, cycling 40 mile to a match with your brother on the handlebars after making hay all day etc etc?? And yous say Seanie Johnson is making a clown of himself!!

Is it not admirable, that when he found himself in this situation, he didnt settle for being a big fish in a small pond, but decided to try himself somewhere he was unproven, his name would mean very little, and he'd have to really fight for his place? Going by the character assassination of him on this thread, that last sentence is barely recognisable from the seanie that ye lads know. Somethings amiss.

Jinxy

He chose Kildare i'd imagine to prove and test himself.. He would know he would have to work hard to make the team and earn his place on a team of good players. There is no harm in that he has only a few years left, nothing wrong with wanting to test yourself at the top. There was never any chance he would have played for Longford,Fermanagh or Meath all being big rivals to Cavan..

He chose Kildare because a) he'll get on the team as they've no corner forwards, b) they've a reasonable shot at a Leinster and possibly an All-Ireland, c) he likes driving and d) ....... what other reasons could there possibly be?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on May 02, 2012, 10:54:48 AM

He chose Kildare because a) he'll get on the team as they've no corner forwards, b) they've a reasonable shot at a Leinster and possibly an All-Ireland, c) he likes driving and d) ....... what other reasons could there possibly be?

How 'bout:
e)  He was approached by McGeeney and/or a member (or members) of the Kildare county board and was made an offer he couldn't refuse?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Stevie g 8

what harm if he was approached,he,s a damn good player.it,s happening all over the country at club level, especially in dublin.the majority of fans will not care about him being an outsider once he delivers on the field.i,d rather have him on my team

Dont Matter

Seanie seems like the kind of player that you pass it to hoping for a return pass as you run by but he keeps it for himself to go for glory.
He will be bad for Kildare so in one way I hope he goes but I also have hopes that he never plays inter county football again.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

mylestheslasher

Quote from: haranguerer on May 02, 2012, 08:25:56 AM
So Myles, Screen, just to be clear, its grand(ish) for him to transfer, as long as he transfers to someone unlikely to be around at the business end of the summer? What about the ethos of the GAA, the parish, cycling 40 mile to a match with your brother on the handlebars after making hay all day etc etc?? And yous say Seanie Johnson is making a clown of himself!!

Is it not admirable, that when he found himself in this situation, he didnt settle for being a big fish in a small pond, but decided to try himself somewhere he was unproven, his name would mean very little, and he'd have to really fight for his place? Going by the character assassination of him on this thread, that last sentence is barely recognisable from the seanie that ye lads know. Somethings amiss.

No, you're not being clear you are being an idiot. What I said was if "he just wants to play football " , then there are options closer to home (although equally against the rules), he went like the mercenary he is to a county miles away because he thinks he'll win something. I hope he wins nothing. Btw, you are one twisted individual and your posts on this are just bizarre and not rooted in any logic. You should pick a English premier league team and follow with gusto as they play by the rules you seem to like.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 02, 2012, 06:22:34 PM
Johnston knew Hugh Mcgrillan and a few other Kildare players from his time in DCU. Johnston and Mcgrillan were both on the team that won the sigerson in 2010. He also knew the Kildare trainer Julie Davis. She was trainer of Cavan when Donal Keoghan was manager. He also knew the Kildare selector Niall Carew through college football.. Carew manages Maynooth. He didn't just pick them for the craic..

And the thing about him being a glory hunting mercenary doesn't make sense. Kildare have won nothing of note the last 5/6 years  till the league win last sunday. A few close defeats is all. They were actually lucky to get promotion in the final game needing a 3rd min injury time pen from Johnny Doyle to get a point and seal promotion - otherwise Galway were going up.. Glory hunting is if went to Dublin or down south to Cork or Kerry or even another Ulster team in Tyrone.

I think McGrillen was only in DCU for one year. They'd hardly know each other that well.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

heffo

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 02, 2012, 07:48:26 PM
Johnston knew Hugh Mcgrillan and a few other Kildare players from his time in DCU. Johnston and Mcgrillan were both on the team that won the sigerson in 2010. He also knew the Kildare trainer Julie Davis. She was trainer of Cavan when Donal Keoghan was manager. He also knew the Kildare selector Niall Carew through college football.. Carew manages Maynooth. He didn't just pick them for the craic..

And the thing about him being a glory hunting mercenary doesn't make sense. Kildare have won nothing of note the last 5/6 years  till the league win last sunday. A few close defeats is all. They were actually lucky to get promotion in the final game needing a 3rd min injury time pen from Johnny Doyle to get a point and seal promotion - otherwise Galway were going up.. Glory hunting is if went to Dublin or down south to Cork or Kerry or even another Ulster team in Tyrone.

I think McGrillen was only in DCU for one year. They'd hardly know each other that well.

Johnson would have far more connection with players and mgt on the Dublin panel. Would've been handier for him for Cavan town too.

rodney trotter

I think he would have more of a realistic chance of making the Kildare team over Dublin. Dublin have lots of scoring power when they have everyone fit.. A clinical forward is what Kildare have always been short although Fogarty looked good when he came on last week. Paul Gribbin would be a key player for them if he wasn't playing AFL.

Jinxy

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 02, 2012, 08:28:56 PM
I think he would have more of a realistic chance of making the Kildare team over Dublin. Dublin have lots of scoring power when they have everyone fit.. A clinical forward is what Kildare have always been short although Fogarty looked good when he came on last week. Paul Gribbin would be a key player for them if he wasn't playing AFL.

But would he not want to test himself?
See how good he could be etc.
It's a moot point anyway as Gilroy wouldn't have him within 10 miles of the panel.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

He wouldnt be an impact sub for Dublin. So he'd be wasting his time with us. But I'm sure in time he'll gravitate towards club football in dublin.