Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Quote from: Jinxy on January 19, 2012, 12:14:04 AM
If it's within the rules there is no morality issue as far as I'm concerned.
The thing is though, the transfer under discussion is clearly not within the rules.
According to Off the Ball tonight, the home club refused to back his DRA appeal so it's dead in the water.
Either he kisses and makes up with Val or I think he'll transfer to a club in Kildare and go the whole hog.

The rules are bollocks anyway - its already been pointed out that in hurling this is actively encouraged, so clearly its not like the top brass take them seriously themselves.

Its an amateur game, its an awful pity we devote such time to try getting some of its best proponents not to play. Its always weaker counties players too, isnt it??  ::)

It is a waste of talent if Johnson isnt playing inter co this year, but its not him who is wasting it - hes still looking to play

heffo

Quote from: haranguerer on January 19, 2012, 08:31:02 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on January 19, 2012, 12:14:04 AM
If it's within the rules there is no morality issue as far as I'm concerned.
The thing is though, the transfer under discussion is clearly not within the rules.
According to Off the Ball tonight, the home club refused to back his DRA appeal so it's dead in the water.
Either he kisses and makes up with Val or I think he'll transfer to a club in Kildare and go the whole hog.
It is a waste of talent if Johnson isnt playing inter co this year, but its not him who is wasting it - hes still looking to play

Johnson isn't the first bigshot to be dropped by a manager for a perceived bad attitude and won't be the last. The only difference with the other 99.9% who are dropped at the start of the year, get a kick up the hole and are back in the team half way through the league is that Johnson has decided he wants to transfer to a different county.

haranguerer

Yes, I got that. And why shouldnt he? Why should he kiss some managers arse to get back in his team? Why do you assume its always the players fault? Or why should he take the hit and sit it out for a year or two? Years are precious at this stage of his career...He wants to play, let him play. There'd be no floodgates opening like ppl are suggesting, its only ever gonna be a last resort for anyone.

heffo

Quote from: Richiej on January 19, 2012, 09:12:22 AM
5/6 experienced Cavan Senior players questioned Andrews last year over mistakes made, tactics employed in 2 heavy defeats to Donegal and Longford.
There was alot of stuff written on internet forums where Val publicly came out and said these "faceless " posters included some players.
Word got out in November that 6 players had been dropped by Andrews. This was denied by the Cavan PRO who stated that nobody was dropped because there was no panel to drop anybody. total lies as we know it now.

Johnston has been caught between" a rock and a hard stone" here. There has been no official word from the CB or Andrews stating that the door is not closed to Johnston. Maybe thats because it is closed.
Cavan Co Board are not interested in keeping the paying public up to date on any matter.
Donegal quickly put the rumours of Cassidy exclusion quickly to bed. But not Cavan. I think this Andrews and Co love to hear talk about themselves in the press. They cant get in the news for the right reasons so they may as well get in the news for the wrong ones!

Its all a mess. Hopefully Seanie will stick with the Gaels this year and continue to knock them over from all sides. Then  Andrews will have no choice but ask him in. Its ironic that in the McKenna cup its Cavan Gaels forwards that are saving Andrews bacon this past 2 games.
Seanie will be back................Long after Andrews and his sidekick are long gone

Jesus, where do I start with that? Is that you Reillers?

1. Donegal quickly put the rumours of Cassidy exclusion quickly to bed -> Cassidy was excluded for breaking team rules - it was in the public domain before he was excluded, and was a news item for a few days. I don't see what this has to do with Johnson's situation.

2. Word got out in November that 6 players had been dropped by Andrews. This was denied by the Cavan PRO who stated that nobody was dropped because there was no panel to drop anybody. total lies as we know it now. -> Unless you were training throughout the winter against the rules, there should've been no panel in November. The panel is most counties during January & February is open-ended due to colleges having first pick on players, older players not returning to the panel until later etc - I'm sure Andrews will announce his panel for the NFL & the Championship.

3. Its ironic that in the McKenna cup its Cavan Gaels forwards that are saving Andrews bacon this past 2 games -> I must be missing something, but I can't see any irony in that.

4. Johnston has been caught between" a rock and a hard stone" here. There has been no official word from the CB or Andrews stating that the door is not closed to Johnston. Maybe thats because it is closed. -> Why doesn't he just stop this Kildare crap so, knuckle down and try and win back a place with Cavan, like every other player dropped in these circumstances?

5. Cavan Co Board are not interested in keeping the paying public up to date on any matter -> Paying public? Are you not members of the GAA up there?

Jinxy

Quote from: Richiej on January 19, 2012, 09:12:22 AM
5/6 experienced Cavan Senior players questioned Andrews last year over mistakes made, tactics employed in 2 heavy defeats to Donegal and Longford.
There was alot of stuff written on internet forums where Val publicly came out and said these "faceless " posters included some players.
Word got out in November that 6 players had been dropped by Andrews. This was denied by the Cavan PRO who stated that nobody was dropped because there was no panel to drop anybody. total lies as we know it now.

Johnston has been caught between" a rock and a hard stone" here. There has been no official word from the CB or Andrews stating that the door is not closed to Johnston. Maybe thats because it is closed.
Cavan Co Board are not interested in keeping the paying public up to date on any matter.
Donegal quickly put the rumours of Cassidy exclusion quickly to bed. But not Cavan. I think this Andrews and Co love to hear talk about themselves in the press. They cant get in the news for the right reasons so they may as well get in the news for the wrong ones!

Its all a mess. Hopefully Seanie will stick with the Gaels this year and continue to knock them over from all sides. Then  Andrews will have no choice but ask him in. Its ironic that in the McKenna cup its Cavan Gaels forwards that are saving Andrews bacon this past 2 games.
Seanie will be back................Long after Andrews and his sidekick are long gone

Seanie?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

Quote from: haranguerer on January 19, 2012, 08:41:31 AM
Yes, I got that. And why shouldnt he? Why should he kiss some managers arse to get back in his team? Why do you assume its always the players fault? Or why should he take the hit and sit it out for a year or two? Years are precious at this stage of his career...He wants to play, let him play. There'd be no floodgates opening like ppl are suggesting, its only ever gonna be a last resort for anyone.

Grand, provided he does it within the rules.

I'm not sure I understand your argument, Haranguerer. The rules are wrong or Seanie is right?

Hardy

Quote from: mannix on January 19, 2012, 12:18:58 AM
Play in Kildare if you like seanie, do your transfer and tell the club and county where to go. It's a bloody amateur game, they should really have no right to tell you where you can or cannot play.
How would that work, exactly?

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

lynchbhoy

the age old GAA mantra - lose your plae, work hard and regain it. if not you keep the head down - play well for your club and the next manager will give you a shot.

if Maurisce Fitzgerald could keep plugging away despite being publicly lauded when he was effectively dropped and only getting on for cameo roles (winning games for Kerry) for the latter part of the season - then any other player can do likewise .
as lets face it, most of these disaffected players are not if the same cosmos as Maurice Fitz let alone same ballpark.

No matter how good a player is, the team comes first and Maurice accepted that.

dublin7

If this transfer goes through just because johnston aledgedly "has an address in Kildare" it will be open season for all the big counties to tap up players from the weaker counties.

If this is approved what is to stop McGeeney's tapping up more players not playing for their county this year eg. Kevin Cassidy & offering him a house for the summer if he will play for Kildare

Rossfan

Hope they remember which house their supposed to be living in... wasnt there a Wicklow import who gave an address  of a still unbuilt apartment number in a block in Bray??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

haranguerer

Quote from: Jinxy on January 19, 2012, 11:30:13 AM
That's a puzzler alright.

Not really. Give their county first call at them. If their county doesnt want them, and another does, then let them play for that other if they desire.

Nothings gonna be perfect here, but its better than depriving our best footballers of football at the highest level due to a fall out. The vast majority of footballers will not seek to transfer to another co, but will put the head down and try to get back on their co panel. For a few though, who have what they feel are irreconcilable differences, and the manager has made it clear he doesnt want them, this will be an option.

As for Mauice fitz, Hes an irrelevance to this argument. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think Maurice Fitz was ever put off the Kerry panel?? This isnt about team v individual. Val Andrews is perfectly entitled to do what he likes to advance Cavan football. As is Jim McGuinness. But so too should Seanie and Cassidy be allowed to do what they want to play the game they've devoted their lives to. Neither was dropped for tactical reasons, as m fitz was. Another thing, if M Fitz had been put off the panel entirely, I know I for one would have rather saw him play for someone else than not saw him play at all.

eddie d

Quote from: ONeill on January 18, 2012, 11:26:49 PM
If a county board and manager are willing to accept a player from another county and it's within the rules (in the future) then let the player and the county board deal with the morality of it between them. Sure half of Tyrone play for Derry.

who?

imtommygunn

Will you not just end up with lesser counties then made up of boys from the big counties who are very good footballers but just not good enough to make it?

haranguerer

No, that wouldnt happen for many reasons. If players havent been good enough for one team in that year, then they'll most likely work at it rather than throw their lot in with anohter county, especially if they are close, and perceive it to be a step down to play for the other county. There also isnt that much difference between the top 15 across the vast majority of teams - someone not makig the top 30 in one co is not likely to be that keenly sought by another. Geography also comes into it - its not gonna be worth anyones while moving somewhere just to play inter co, so it'll be restricted to neighbouring counties. At which point local rivalries come in too I suppose (no coincidence seanie s trying to move province)