Seanie Johnston Switch and outside managers

Started by samwin08, January 18, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Darragh Ó Sé's perspective, in today's Irish Times:

THE MIDDLE THIRD: Seánie Johnston has made a difficult personal decision to switch to Kildare – we should let him get on with it and focus on more important matters in the GAA
WHEN THE Seánie Johnston affair started away back in early spring, the one thing I thought for sure about it was it would be sorted out by the time the serious stuff started. But here we are – in the last week of June, no less – and it's still an issue.

Kildare play Meath on Sunday and, if the last few games are anything to go by, you can be sure Seánie will be there in Croke Park alongside the Kildare panel. In amongst the players he's been training with for months now but not allowed to take his place.

At this stage of the game, that's crazy stuff.

The first thing everyone needs to do when it comes to Johnston is to stop pretending this is the first time in the history of the GAA this has happened.

He isn't breaking any new ground here, he's not bending any rules that haven't been bent and broken before. To hear some people talking, you'd swear he was going to rip every root of the GAA out of the ground before the summer is out. This isn't a big deal – it's a player changing his club and county to play intercounty football. He's not the first and he won't be the last.

I feel he deserves a lot of sympathy. Or if you can't go as far as sympathy, then he at least deserves a bit of understanding.

Think about the decision he's made. Peel back all the layers of it and think what it must be like for him personally to up and leave his own place and his own people to go and play for someone else when he knows it won't be a popular move.

Whatever you think about his motives, you have to admit it's a very brave thing to do.

Wind the tape on to Christmas time five or six years down the road when all of this is over and he's back to being Seánie Johnston, a local teacher above in Cavan. You know and I know that when he walks into his local bar even then, there'll be fellas going quiet in the corner having just discussed him. You think Seánie doesn't know that as well? Of course he does, yet he has decided to be a man about it and plough on. That takes guts.

This is like a puppy – it's not just for Christmas, it's for life. In 10 years' time, 20 years' time, this is something that will be thrown back at him and maybe even at his family. So there's no way he'd be doing it lightly, there's no way he'd be doing it without having thought it through.

I don't know him but I do feel sorry for him. I think there's been a small bit of a witch-hunt against him.

I don't understand why he's taken such stick about it. I could maybe see it if this was him taking the easy way out but there's nothing easy in what he's put himself through. Look at all the hoops he's had to jump through, look at all the committees that have had their say on his situation. He even has a rule change at Congress nicknamed in his honour! No player wants that.

The easy way out would have been to shrug his shoulders away back before Easter and say: "Ah, this is too much hassle, we'll leave it so." But instead he did everything the committees asked of him in changing address and getting two clubs and two county boards to sign off on the move.

On top of all that, he's done everything Kieran McGeeney and the Kildare management have asked of him – and since they're one of the fittest teams in the country, we can take it that wasn't easy either.

Surely by now he has done enough to show he's serious for the rest of us in the GAA to say: "Fair enough, lad, away you go."

Everybody's situation is different. For me, I could never have done it but then that's okay for me to say because the situation never arose.

I moved to Tralee a good number of years ago and there was an hour's driving over and back to the club but it never occurred to me to go looking for a change. I'm not holding myself up as some sort of paragon of virtue, just pointing out it was never an option. I would never have left An Ghaeltacht to go to a club in Tralee and nobody would ever have thought to bring it up with me.

Even now, I'd love to be heading back there a couple of times a week for training and for games but my time is done. Mick O'Dwyer used to be gentle with men who'd put on a few pounds over the winter by saying, "I see you're getting strong anyway . . ."

Well, my strength is my weakness at this stage and the tight jerseys that are in vogue now have finished me off altogether. But I still go back there to watch matches and I always will.

Isn't that the case with 99 per cent of players in the GAA? And won't that always be the case? Fellas move away from home, they leave for work or women or whatever but the draw of home almost always brings them back.

If they want to leave to play intercounty football or hurling, then that shouldn't be a big deal. It will only apply in a tiny number of cases because the vast, vast majority of players will want to play with the people they grew up with and the county they feel is home.

I had a conversation about this one night with P Sé. "Just out of interest," I said. "Would you have ever moved and gone somewhere else to play?"

"Ah no," he said. "I found it hard enough to be told I was useless by my own fellas. I would never have handled it from outsiders!"

We can sometimes be too paranoid about what the GAA can and can't offer. We should be more confident about it and instead of focusing on the tiny minority of cases where fellas move, we should leave them off and let them enjoy the experience.

This won't open the floodgates, purely because the tradition is so strong and the pull of the place you grew up doesn't leave most people.

It's like when people go mad worrying about losing young fellas to rugby or soccer or Aussie Rules. When I hear people calling it a crisis, I just think we should stand up for ourselves a bit more and have a bit more faith in what we have to offer. I remember when I was a teenager coming through and playing for the club, I had the novelty of playing against Currow and marking Mick Galwey, with him just back from a Lions tour.

Even these days, if Currow are having a fund-raiser and they ask Mick down to help out, he's the first man through the door. The GAA lost him to rugby along the way but we never really lost him at all.

Long after Seánie Johnston has finished playing, long after the rest of us have forgotten about the whole saga, the GAA will still thrive and most players will still tog out in the same dressingrooms they grew up in.

With all the attention his case has got and all the predictions about the floodgates opening if he ends up a Kildare player, you'd think there must be hundreds of applications going to the GAA every year from fellas in the same situation as him. There aren't.

People do move clubs all the time and they go through far less hassle than Seánie has. I was in Croke Park a couple of weeks ago and I ran into Colm Parkinson.

It was soon after he was on The Sunday Game that night when they'd been talking about the Seánie Johnston case.

I thought he was great on the show and they should have him on a lot more often because he's at least some way honest about what he sees on the pitch and he's not afraid of offending people. But when it came to what he was saying about Seánie, I was killed laughing.

"You're some boy to be giving out," I said. "Of all people. You left your own club and went to play for one in Dublin, when Portlaoise is less than an hour down the road. And you're cribbing about Seánie Johnston going and hour and a half down the country? Give a guy a break."

I know Colm was living and working in Dublin at the time and I wasn't saying he was breaking any rules or anything like that. But surely a bit of sympathy for Johnston's situation wasn't too much to ask for?

Let's be honest about this. If Johnston had moved to Longford or Leitrim, there wouldn't be one word said about it. It might have made the papers for a week or two in the winter and nobody would have passed any remarks. Just like nobody minded too much when Austin O'Malley and Thomas Walsh went to Wicklow or when Billy Joe Padden went to Armagh. But because he moved to Kildare, people are up in arms.

If Johnston had looked to transfer to Kildare five years ago, it wouldn't have been a big deal either. But the fact Kildare are very close to making a breakthrough has given them a bigger profile and it has put some noses out of joint. He's been made trudge down every last avenue in search of this thing, just to make an example out of him.

People forget there's a person involved here trying to live his life.

You can bang on about protecting the integrity of the GAA all you like but at the heart of this is a very good footballer who has had to make big changes in his living arrangements and commuting habits just to try to play for an intercounty team.

He didn't dream this up in the back of a taxi on the way home from a disco – he has done everything that's been asked of him. For him to then take flak from all quarters as if he was a threat to the GAA is way over the top. We have loads of things to worry about in the GAA these days. Seánie Johnston shouldn't be one of them. I wish him well.

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hardy

What a load of ould horse droppings.

Yerra never mind the rules; sure there's more to life than abiding by the rules.

Celt_Man

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Hardy on June 27, 2012, 05:37:01 PM

Yerra never mind the rules; sure there's more to life than abiding by the rules.

100% correct. He doesn't seem to know even the basics of the issue. In fact there is so much bullshit in it that I couldn't be bothered spend the night pointing it out. On the positive Celt man developed an opinion on it so its not all bad!

Celt_Man

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 27, 2012, 07:03:57 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 27, 2012, 05:37:01 PM

100% correct. He doesn't seem to know even the basics of the issue. In fact there is so much bullshit in it that I couldn't be bothered spend the night pointing it out. On the positive Celt man developed an opinion on it so its not all bad!

Dry up Myles
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Lar Naparka

I don't really know the facts that lead to Seanie transferring to Kildare KIldare but, as that hasn't stopped every dog in the street from wuffing his opinions, I won't let that  particular fact stop me giving mine.
I think Val Andrews has a lot to answer for.
If what I heard is true, Val went far outside his remit by dropping Johnston and several others when he found out that they had been using Twitter to have a go at him.
Okay, the hoors should have had more sense than they appear to have and that even by having a private account, they couldn't stop Val from seeing what they had tweeted.
They obviously weren't fans of Val but any player who doesn't call his manager a bollicks from time to time isn't worth his place on any team. The tweets were meant to be private but, somehow, Val got wind of them and decided to drop them as a result.
In doing that, I feel he was going outside his remit when he took on the Cavan gig. It's inconceivable that the Cavan CB allowed him the freedom to drop any player who criticised him behind his back. If that was the case, he soon wouldn't be able to field a team for a seven-a-side tournament.
Seanie being dropped for loss of form is one thing but if he got shafted because his manager didn't like what he had to say about him in  private is quite another matter.
If that was indeed the case, I think he was entitled to try his luck elsewhere.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 27, 2012, 11:06:48 PM
I don't really know the facts that lead to Seanie transferring to Kildare KIldare but, as that hasn't stopped every dog in the street from wuffing his opinions, I won't let that  particular fact stop me giving mine.
If what I heard is true, Val went far outside his remit by dropping Johnston and several others when he found out that they had been using Twitter to have a go at him.
Okay, the hoors should have had more sense than they appear to have and that even by having a private account, they couldn't stop Val from seeing what they had tweeted.
They obviously weren't fans of Val but any player who doesn't call his manager a bollicks from time to time isn't worth his place on any team. The tweets were meant to be private but, somehow, Val got wind of them and decided to drop them as a result.
In doing that, I feel he was going outside his remit when he took on the Cavan gig. It's inconceivable that the Cavan CB allowed him the freedom to drop any player who criticised him behind his back. If that was the case, he soon wouldn't be able to field a team for a seven-a-side tournament.
Seanie being dropped for loss of form is one thing but if he got shafted because his manager didn't like what he had to say about him in  private is quite another matter.

Lar - tweet story is a load of bollix for a start.

Secondly suppose this is correct - Have you ever managed a team? Are you telling me if you were over a team and a bunch of players were slagging you off on twitter and facebook or whatever that you would allow that to go ahead unpunished? You are seriously suggesting that? You don't think lads doing that type of thing would have an effect in overall team discipline and completely undermines your position. You have to deal with that sort of thing hard, kick them off the panel immediately is the only course of action.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 27, 2012, 11:18:52 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 27, 2012, 11:06:48 PM

Lar - tweet story is a load of bollix for a start.

Secondly suppose this is correct - Have you ever managed a team? Are you telling me if you were over a team and a bunch of players were slagging you off on twitter and facebook or whatever that you would allow that to go ahead unpunished? You are seriously suggesting that? You don't think lads doing that type of thing would have an effect in overall team discipline and completely undermines your position. You have to deal with that sort of thing hard, kick them off the panel immediately is the only course of action.

I've been careful to point out that I don't know all the facts and I feel that no one on this topic knows them either.
But can you tell me categorically that the tweet story is a load of bollix?
That's what I was told by an assload of Cavan supporters and I've no reason to doubt their word. Nobody so far has come up with another, more credible one.
I have indeed managed a team, several in fact, and I'm quite sure that every player involved with me called me a bollicks from time to time .If they didn't I'd feel I wasn't doing my job.
Whatever they might have to say about me in private wouldn't bother me one little bit.
But I wouldn't use subterfuge to hack into a private conversation to spy on what they were saying.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

TacadoirArdMhacha

Jerome Quinn is stating that Johnston is "reportedly" set to play in Kildare hurling championship on Saturday. Make of that what you will.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

heffo

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on June 28, 2012, 08:53:39 AM
Jerome Quinn is stating that Johnston is "reportedly" set to play in Kildare hurling championship on Saturday. Make of that what you will.

That Jerome Quinn fella is fairly on the ball

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=20986.1155

tommysmith

That twitter thing is a load of crap.

Seanie Johnson V Val Andrews had nothing to do with twitter and anyone from Cavan that thinks that is not up to speed with what is going on in Cavan GAA circles.

Anyway that arguement is old , is he really going to get a few lashs to the back of the legs with a hurl this week  :D.

Myles would pay good money to see that!

Donnellys Hollow

I cannot believe this nonsense is still ongoing. The hurling thing is pure speculation as yet but I suppose nobody will know until Saturday night in Clane whether it is happening or not. I would lose all respect for Coill Dubh if they allowed themselves to be abused in such a way especially after these comments were made only a few weeks ago:

Quote14 June 2012

However, Coill Dubh secretary and PRO Leonie Delaney emphatically dismissed suggestions Johnston will line out for their hurling team to become eligible for the county's footballers.

Coill Dubh's senior trainer is Trevor Carew, brother of Kildare selector Niall, who is also a member of both clubs.

But Delaney believes people arereading too much into that connection and insists Johnston is unlikely to play for Coill Dubh against Eire Óg-Corrachoill.

"Seánie Johnston hasn't been at [hurling] training and it's just pure speculation that he will play," saidDelaney.

"There are close links between the clubs but my own view is that it's just other people's desperation to see him play for Kildare.

"Our trainer Trevor is a brother of Niall Carew but it's too easy to make assumptions."

Delaney is also unequivocal in her opposition to Johnston turning out for Coill Dubh in just over two weeks' time.

After last winning the Sean Carey Cup back in 2003, they are determined to add to their collection of 10 SHC titles.

"We're a successful hurling club and wouldn't want anything to reflect badly on that.

"We're taking this championship very seriously. It hasn't gone well for us in recent years. It's been nine years since we last won it.

"The inclusion of Seánie Johnston wouldn't be seen to help our case," she added.

Last week, St Kevin's vice-chairman John Noone also slammed the Johnston hurling rumours as "speculation".

"The first I saw of it was on Facebook when some bright spark came up with the idea."

However, he added: "The transfer has gone through for St Kevin's and everything else is up to Kildare — that's the way we'd be looking at it."

Johnston played his first game for St Kevin's in a Division 2 league fixture against Kilcock on Sunday when he kicked five points.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/0614/sport/kildare-explore-seanie-loophole-197353.html

We'll have to wait until Saturday night to see whether they're true to their word and he makes no appearance in Clane. It's really ridiculous to have this hanging over the Kildare panel before a big match on Sunday.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 28, 2012, 11:13:49 AM
I cannot believe this nonsense is still ongoing. The hurling thing is pure speculation as yet but I suppose nobody will know until Saturday night in Clane whether it is happening or not. I would lose all respect for Coill Dubh if they allowed themselves to be abused in such a way especially after these comments were made only a few weeks ago:

Quote14 June 2012

However, Coill Dubh secretary and PRO Leonie Delaney emphatically dismissed suggestions Johnston will line out for their hurling team to become eligible for the county's footballers.

Coill Dubh's senior trainer is Trevor Carew, brother of Kildare selector Niall, who is also a member of both clubs.

But Delaney believes people arereading too much into that connection and insists Johnston is unlikely to play for Coill Dubh against Eire Óg-Corrachoill.

"Seánie Johnston hasn't been at [hurling] training and it's just pure speculation that he will play," saidDelaney.

"There are close links between the clubs but my own view is that it's just other people's desperation to see him play for Kildare.

"Our trainer Trevor is a brother of Niall Carew but it's too easy to make assumptions."

Delaney is also unequivocal in her opposition to Johnston turning out for Coill Dubh in just over two weeks' time.

After last winning the Sean Carey Cup back in 2003, they are determined to add to their collection of 10 SHC titles.

"We're a successful hurling club and wouldn't want anything to reflect badly on that.

"We're taking this championship very seriously. It hasn't gone well for us in recent years. It's been nine years since we last won it.

"The inclusion of Seánie Johnston wouldn't be seen to help our case," she added.

Last week, St Kevin's vice-chairman John Noone also slammed the Johnston hurling rumours as "speculation".

"The first I saw of it was on Facebook when some bright spark came up with the idea."

However, he added: "The transfer has gone through for St Kevin's and everything else is up to Kildare — that's the way we'd be looking at it."

Johnston played his first game for St Kevin's in a Division 2 league fixture against Kilcock on Sunday when he kicked five points.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/0614/sport/kildare-explore-seanie-loophole-197353.html

We'll have to wait until Saturday night to see whether they're true to their word and he makes no appearance in Clane. It's really ridiculous to have this hanging over the Kildare panel before a big match on Sunday.

The whole handling is farcical so I think it would be an appropriate ending.

I'm sure McGeeney is quite happy that again people are more interesting talking about SJ than his team, the less hype the better.
#newbridgeornowhere

Ard-Rí

Ar son Éireann Gaelaí