SUFTUM

Started by Mickey Linden, January 16, 2012, 08:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 19, 2012, 11:16:54 AM
There may be a bit of bandwagoning about it but no more so than say someone from Offaly  :P following Munster rugby over Leinster.

Well said, that always stumped me!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

thejuice

These lads who say they only support the southern 3 provinces must be awful die-hard partitionists.

I also would support all four with no real leaning towards any over another. I have followed rugby (well just the international team) as long as I have GAA.

Up until about 10-12 years ago, I didn't realise provincial rugby teams existed so for that I find it hard to get worked up about them now or the need to develop some sort of allegiance to one of them.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ballinaman

Quote from: thejuice on January 20, 2012, 12:47:18 PM
These lads who say they only support the southern 3 provinces must be awful die-hard partitionists.

I also would support all four with no real leaning towards any over another. I have followed rugby (well just the international team) as long as I have GAA.

Up until about 10-12 years ago, I didn't realise provincial rugby teams existed so for that I find it hard to get worked up about them now or the need to develop some sort of allegiance to one of them.
I'd be with you on that note. Hope all the provinces do well at weekend and Connacht get some luck for a change!
Heading to the Northampton V Munster game tomorrow evening in Milton Keynes. Going with 7 die hard Munster lads so should be a bit of craic...well oiled come 6pm anyways  :D

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 20, 2012, 12:20:47 PM
There may be a bit of bandwagoning about it but no more so than say someone from Offaly  :P following Munster rugby over Leinster.

Well said, that always stumped me!

Ain't biting lads. I have a book released on this.

Stand up and fight!

thejuice

Quote from: ballinaman on January 20, 2012, 01:17:55 PM
Heading to the Northampton V Munster game tomorrow evening in Milton Keynes. Going with 7 die hard Munster lads so should be a bit of craic...well oiled come 6pm anyways  :D

Likewise, I dont have much red and white to wear but have a few green and gold jersies.  :P

Funny thing about Munster; supported by a load of Leinster lads and they sing a Connacht when they are winning.  :D
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

Stand Up and Fight is beginning to make inroads in terms of the singing Juice. TFOA still gets a belting, but Stand Up and Fight is the 'official' song.

muppet

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 20, 2012, 12:19:32 PM
Quote from: muppet on January 20, 2012, 11:57:54 AM
Lads, before you all go apoplectic on the Cross players supporting Munster I want to point something out.  The club has had very strong links with Cork for over 30 years now and we travel up and down to Ballincollig every year at different levels.  The mentality of people generally in the area is to look south rather than north for associations and it is not a political thing more an association to a similar cultural mentality.  I would have a fair idea about lads from the area who follow Munster religiously and there would be personal connections between a number of players from both squads.  There may be a bit of bandwagoning about it but no more so than say someone from Offaly  :P following Munster rugby over Leinster.

What about someone from Mayo who, to some degree, supports all 4?

At least you will be nearly guaranteed following a team that will win a real  trophy for a change(sorry had to say it ;D)

Just to be on the safe side I support both Oxford & Cambridge in the boat race and all the women tennis players at Wimbledon.
MWWSI 2017

cicfada

Watching the Connacht match here, they are full of spirit but Harlequins have done well in the first and you would expect them  to  turn it on now with the wind in the second half!!  As a franchise Connacht are poxed  to be in this competition at all and will probably get in again if one of the other provinces win   the whole thing again! I mean how many free passes  do you get?? In any case I hope that either Ulster or Leinster beat Munster in the knockout stages!  That assumes of course that Ulster get through! The dickhead Munster fans, ( those ones who only surfaced around 10 years ago)  and they are many!!, are getting into full knockout mode down here. Most insecure people I have ever met! Grasping onto the Munster rugby  bandwagon for  all they're worth! Of course they will get tickets through their membership of the supporters club where people who have played the game and have actually followed the sport all thier lives will struggle to get tickets!! Rant over now, looking forward to the second half of the match online here.  The head of Connacht rugby union  Gerry Kelly used to teach me in school, now if they need the hairdryer treatment at halftime he is the man to give it to them! Anger management would never have worked on him, I tell ya!

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lawnseed on January 19, 2012, 05:49:40 PM
what colour is the ulster flag? when did the six county statlet come into existence? was rugby in ulster before the six counties came into existence as a political entity? the flying of the red and white flag of the northern ireland  'IS' a political statement IMO especially when it is known in rugby that the term ulster refers to 9 counties not 6. people who bring the wrong flag to the match are not supporting ulster they are supporting 'northern ireland' that team doesn't exist in rabbo or Heineken or in rugby. just like people who bring Palestinian flags to gaa matches are making political statements. i find the practice uncomfortable as a person from a republican background who may be interested in supporting my own province.
I've been a season ticket holder at Ravenhill for about 6 years now. You'll see loads of different flags at the ground on match night: white Ulster flags, yellow Ulster flags, Ulster rugby flags, Croatian, Japanese (for the colours), NZ (for the Kiwi players)...anything goes and noone gets hung up about it. My mates from a unionist background don't get their knickers in a twist when people wave tricolours at the Ireland international games, even though that is just as inappropriate / appropriate as NI flags at Ulster games. Munster and Leinster fans come up to Ravenhill and stand with the Ulster supporters and there's no need for lines of police to keep the peace. Friday nights at Ravenhill are class, especially for HC games. If you haven't been before, do yourself a favour and give it a go.

In answer to someone else's question - I'm not sure if the union flag is still flown above Ravenhill on match nights. I haven't checked recently. I tend not to notice these things, in all honesty. The first time I became aware that it was flown was when the row blew up before the Italy game a few years ago, even though the flagpoles are above the entrance I use.

The Worker

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 21, 2012, 12:14:29 PM
what colour is the ulster flag? when did the six county statlet come into existence? was rugby in ulster before the six counties came into existence as a political entity? the flying of the red and white flag of the northern ireland  'IS' a political statement IMO especially when it is known in rugby that the term ulster refers to 9 counties not 6. people who bring the wrong flag to the match are not supporting ulster they are supporting 'northern ireland' that team doesn't exist in rabbo or Heineken or in rugby. just like people who bring Palestinian flags to gaa matches are making political statements. i find the practice uncomfortable as a person from a republican background who may be interested in supporting my own province.
I've been a season ticket holder at Ravenhill for about 6 years now. You'll see loads of different flags at the ground on match night: white Ulster flags, yellow Ulster flags, Ulster rugby flags, Croatian, Japanese (for the colours), NZ (for the Kiwi players)...anything goes and noone gets hung up about it. My mates from a unionist background don't get their knickers in a twist when people wave tricolours at the Ireland international games, even though that is just as inappropriate / appropriate as NI flags at Ulster games. Munster and Leinster fans come up to Ravenhill and stand with the Ulster supporters and there's no need for lines of police to keep the peace. Friday nights at Ravenhill are class, especially for HC games. If you haven't been before, do yourself a favour and give it a go.

In answer to someone else's question - I'm not sure if the union flag is still flown above Ravenhill on match nights. I haven't checked recently. I tend not to notice these things, in all honesty. The first time I became aware that it was flown was when the row blew up before the Italy game a few years ago, even though the flagpoles are above the entrance I use.

Do you see any tricolours at ulster games?

fitzroyalty

To be honest anyone getting hung up about what flag is being flown clearly isn't there for the rugby. Who gives a rat's arse.

oisinog

Quote from: fitzroyalty on January 21, 2012, 02:14:34 PM
To be honest anyone getting hung up about what flag is being flown clearly isn't there for the rugby. Who gives a rat's arse.

The same pople complaining about the flags probably support man utd or liverpool who fly the union flag at their games

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Worker on January 21, 2012, 01:30:07 PM

Do you see any tricolours at ulster games?

Bring one the next time you come
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

I don't write understand what you're on about here? Why would someone get their knickers in a twist about Ireland flags being flown at an Ireland game?

Myles Na G.

Quote from: screenexile on January 21, 2012, 05:34:36 PM

I don't write understand what you're on about here? Why would someone get their knickers in a twist about Ireland flags being flown at an Ireland game?
I'll spell it out for you then: the 26 county tricolour has as much relevance for the 32 county Irish rugby team, as the 6 county Ulster flag has for the 9 county Ulster rugby side, no more no less. Yet some on here feel their arses tighten if they catch sight of a NI flag at Ravenhill, yet don't seem to mind about the tricolours at the Aviva.