SUFTUM

Started by Mickey Linden, January 16, 2012, 08:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

Quote from: trileacman on January 19, 2012, 06:06:12 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on January 19, 2012, 05:49:40 PM
what colour is the ulster flag? when did the six county statlet come into existence? was rugby in ulster before the six counties came into existence as a political entity? the flying of the red and white flag of the northern ireland  'IS' a political statement IMO especially when it is known in rugby that the term ulster refers to 9 counties not 6. people who bring the wrong flag to the match are not supporting ulster they are supporting 'northern ireland' that team doesn't exist in rabbo or Heineken or in rugby. just like people who bring Palestinian flags to gaa matches are making political statements. i find the practice uncomfortable as a person from a republican background who may be interested in supporting my own province.

What about the flying the tricolour at GAA matches? Does that not make a "political statement" that may make people from a unionist background uncomfortable in supporting their county team?

I couldn't give a f**k either way but you can't go around the whole time looking for something to annoy you.
flying the tricolour at gaa at matches is a gaa rule. and you are right political statements sometimes make people feel uncomfortable at sporting events that's my point. rugby is a peculiar sport in ireland and riddled with anomalies i do enjoy it but as in the cross lads referred to earlier I'd find myself drifting toward supporting the other 3 provinces before ulster and thats the vibe i get from it. hard to teach an old dog new tricks. 
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Milltown Row2

Then travel with your Cross mates. You'll meet southern prods though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

oisinog

Quote from: lawnseed on January 19, 2012, 06:27:35 PM
what colour is the ulster flag? when did the six county statlet come into existence? was rugby in ulster before the six counties came into existence as a political entity? the flying of the red and white flag of the northern ireland  'IS' a political statement IMO especially when it is known in rugby that the term ulster refers to 9 counties not 6. people who bring the wrong flag to the match are not supporting ulster they are supporting 'northern ireland' that team doesn't exist in rabbo or Heineken or in rugby. just like people who bring Palestinian flags to gaa matches are making political statements. i find the practice uncomfortable as a person from a republican background who may be interested in supporting my own province.

What about the flying the tricolour at GAA matches? Does that not make a "political statement" that may make people from a unionist background uncomfortable in supporting their county team?

I couldn't give a f**k either way but you can't go around the whole time looking for something to annoy you.
flying the tricolour at gaa at matches is a gaa rule. and you are right political statements sometimes make people feel uncomfortable at sporting events that's my point. rugby is a peculiar sport in ireland and riddled with anomalies i do enjoy it but as in the cross lads referred to earlier I'd find myself drifting toward supporting the other 3 provinces before ulster and thats the vibe i get from it. hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Try going to ravenhill and see if a political statement is made. Any time I have been the only talk is the match. Its the only sporting stadium in Northern Ireland that does not have any political afflication.

lawnseed

Quote from: oisinog on January 19, 2012, 06:58:42 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on January 19, 2012, 06:27:35 PM

Try going to ravenhill and see if a political statement is made. Any time I have been the only talk is the match. Its the only sporting stadium in Northern Ireland that does not have any political afflication.
you mean the north of ireland ;)

snoopdog

its rugby, its shite. getting wound up over a nothing game

oisinog

Quote from: snoopdog on January 19, 2012, 11:13:35 PM
its rugby, its shite. getting wound up over a nothing game

10 times better than the snore fest soccer

Windmill abu

QuoteIts the only sporting stadium in Northern Ireland that does not have any political afflication.

The Jim Baker Bowling Stadium & the Odyssey Arena, home of the Belfast Giants, might wonder what "political afflication" you apply to them
Never underestimate the power of complaining

lawnseed

Quote from: michaelg on January 18, 2012, 08:39:43 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on January 18, 2012, 10:33:39 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 17, 2012, 11:56:06 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on January 17, 2012, 11:42:10 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 17, 2012, 11:11:51 PM
Don't Connacht play in green?
imo the red and white ulster flags are off putting. but i accept not having been to a match i could be getting the wrong impression
Ravenhill has a great atmosphere and I'd have no hesitations in attending there. The fact that the red and white flag is flown in the crowd alongside the yellow and red says a lot.
Was up at the Ulster Munster Rabbo direct a few weeks ago and thought it was a great atmosphere, apart for the lad who insisted on whistling SUFTUM into my ear throughtout the match...
4 lads decked out in Munster gear beside me from Crossmaglen, got chatting and they said the can't abide Ulster rugby and travel to most games in Thomand park.
Think it just reinforces the "club" nature of rugby, don't necessarily have to be from the province to support a team...
Or that they are bitter as f**k
Who really gives a shite if there is the odd NI flag?  Surely the fact there there are yellow Ulster flags and red and white NI flags is a good thing / in the spirit of the GFA
maybe if your at a match you could ask one of these guys why they brought the wrong flag. i didnt notice any of these flags at six nations or in new zealand yet loads of fans from the other 3 provinces wore their provincial jerseys indeed there were alot of flags bearing the "4 proud provinces of ireland...." (hard to beat a bit of phil) ::)

oisinog

Quote from: Windmill abu on January 20, 2012, 01:15:40 AM
QuoteIts the only sporting stadium in Northern Ireland that does not have any political afflication.

The Jim Baker Bowling Stadium & the Odyssey Arena, home of the Belfast Giants, might wonder what "political afflication" you apply to them

Being honest I didnt think of those two Stadiums. You would be right in saying that they have no satigmata associated with them   

Rossfan

Quote from: oisinog on January 20, 2012, 10:21:11 AM
QuoteBeing honest I didnt think of those two Stadiums. You would be right in saying that they have no satigmata associated with them

The 5 wounds of Christ   :o :o
Mixing Religion and politics ..... now that's goin too far.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lawnseed

Quote from: oisinog on January 20, 2012, 10:21:11 AM

Being honest I didnt think of those two Stadiums. You would be right in saying that they have no satigmata associated with them
stigma! oisin its the triple crown not the crown of thorns.. ahouch ;)

muppet

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 19, 2012, 11:16:54 AM
Lads, before you all go apoplectic on the Cross players supporting Munster I want to point something out.  The club has had very strong links with Cork for over 30 years now and we travel up and down to Ballincollig every year at different levels.  The mentality of people generally in the area is to look south rather than north for associations and it is not a political thing more an association to a similar cultural mentality.  I would have a fair idea about lads from the area who follow Munster religiously and there would be personal connections between a number of players from both squads.  There may be a bit of bandwagoning about it but no more so than say someone from Offaly  :P following Munster rugby over Leinster.

What about someone from Mayo who, to some degree, supports all 4?
MWWSI 2017

lawnseed

Quote from: muppet on January 20, 2012, 11:57:54 AM
Lads, before you all go apoplectic on the Cross players supporting Munster I want to point something out.  The club has had very strong links with Cork for over 30 years now and we travel up and down to Ballincollig every year at different levels.  The mentality of people generally in the area is to look south rather than north for associations and it is not a political thing more an association to a similar cultural mentality.  I would have a fair idea about lads from the area who follow Munster religiously and there would be personal connections between a number of players from both squads.  There may be a bit of bandwagoning about it but no more so than say someone from Offaly  :P following Munster rugby over Leinster.

what fleg does he have? as they say in coalisand

muppet

Quote from: lawnseed on January 20, 2012, 12:01:04 PM

what fleg does he have? as they say in coalisand

Not flegs, flegons.
MWWSI 2017

brokencrossbar1

At least you will be nearly guaranteed following a team that will win a real  trophy for a change(sorry had to say it ;D)