Theatre Recomendations

Started by Denn Forever, January 10, 2012, 04:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Just because its theatre, doesn't mean it is not funny.  Though i'd really love to see Hamlet again.

If you want a laugh, The Night Joe Dolan’s Car Broke Down is returning to the Olympia in Dublin next week.  Go on and have a laugh and a singalong (you'll be surprised how many Joe songs you know!)

The Night Joe Dolan’s Car Broke Down is a real treat for his fans and theatre lovers alike – a night of comedy, drama and music. Imagine being stranded with the legendary Joe Dolan in a rural pub in Cavan on the night his car breaks down. That’s just the sort of fantasy scenario that’s imagined in “The Night Joe Dolan’s Car Broke Down” a new play written and directed by Padraic McIntyre.

http://www.guide2dublin.com/news/435/Olympia-Theatre-Dublin-The-Night-Joe-Dolans-Car-Broke-Down
http://www.ticketmaster.ie/The-Night-Joe-Dolans-Car-Broke-Down-tickets/artist/1607330
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

screenexile

Saw the "History of the Troubles (accordin' to my Da)" in the Opera House a while back and it was great. Thinking of going to see 'Stones in his Pockets' in a couple of weeks time as well so hopefully that will be good.

Starting to get into going to the theatre a bit and a good show is hard to beat but a bad one is really really bad!!

ziggysego

"History of the Troubles (accordin' to my Da)" is a fantastic, as is "The Chronicles of Long Kesh".
Testing Accessibility

Denn Forever

Stones in his pockets is great. 

Still remember it after 10 years and would love to see it again. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 10, 2012, 04:14:38 PM
Just because its theatre, doesn't mean it is not funny.  Though i'd really love to see Hamlet again.

If you want a laugh, The Night Joe Dolan's Car Broke Down is returning to the Olympia in Dublin next week.  Go on and have a laugh and a singalong (you'll be surprised how many Joe songs you know!)

The Night Joe Dolan's Car Broke Down is a real treat for his fans and theatre lovers alike – a night of comedy, drama and music. Imagine being stranded with the legendary Joe Dolan in a rural pub in Cavan on the night his car breaks down. That's just the sort of fantasy scenario that's imagined in "The Night Joe Dolan's Car Broke Down" a new play written and directed by Padraic McIntyre.

http://www.guide2dublin.com/news/435/Olympia-Theatre-Dublin-The-Night-Joe-Dolans-Car-Broke-Down
http://www.ticketmaster.ie/The-Night-Joe-Dolans-Car-Broke-Down-tickets/artist/1607330

The same production company is putting on my missus' play in the Gaiety in March. Its called "Dear Frankie"

haranguerer

The history of the troubles according to my da is pretty shite.

The only reason I can think of for why it is raved about so much is because 'its from here so it is'. Same as that utter tripe 'Our William' which should never have been near a screen

screenexile

Quote from: haranguerer on January 10, 2012, 04:45:54 PM

The only reason I can think of for why it is raved about so much is because 'its from here so it is'. Same as that utter tripe 'Our William' which should never have been near a screen

Ah have to disagree with that haranguerer, I thought it was very funny and poignant at times.

Our William and that tube from Tyrone's show Sketchy are probably 2 of the biggest balls of dung I have ever had the misfortune to lay eyes on!!

Special mention for LOL which was also a heap of dung as well as Give my Head Some Peace. . . any time Tim McGarry comes on the tele it's turned off in our house!

Doogie Browser

Loved Stones in his Pockets, seen it years ago with the original cast (Conleth Hill and the other boy), would be great to see it again.

haranguerer

Quote from: screenexile on January 10, 2012, 04:52:40 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on January 10, 2012, 04:45:54 PM

Ah have to disagree with that haranguerer, I thought it was very funny and poignant at times.

Our William and that tube from Tyrone's show Sketchy are probably 2 of the biggest balls of dung I have ever had the misfortune to lay eyes on!!

Special mention for LOL which was also a heap of dung as well as Give my Head Some Peace. . . any time Tim McGarry comes on the tele it's turned off in our house!

Fair enough, but Ivan Little cant act, which is a drawback for your main character. It probably wasnt that bad in the grand scheme of things, but I'd heard so much raving about it I was very disappointed, and I figure its one of those things that noone will say anything bad about, becuase its from here. Agreed on all that other s**te, absolutely brutal

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 10, 2012, 04:57:01 PM
Loved Stones in his Pockets, seen it years ago with the original cast (Conleth Hill and the other boy), would be great to see it again.
+1. Used to be a very regular attendee of the old Lyric theatre in Belfast before children ruined by social life. Rows were always too close together though so my knees were aching!