Niall McNamee's Gambling Problem

Started by brokencrossbar1, January 09, 2012, 10:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardtole

I think McNamee would be well worth a mention in that company se. How would the players you mention perform in the current offaly team.

Armaghgael

Quote from: screenexile on January 12, 2012, 07:47:01 PM
I've seen him play. Good footballer and probably a good lad too and these are really unfotunate circumstances he finds himself in as well and I hope he comes out the other end.

Let's not get carried away though, he's not making the top 10: 2 Bradleys, 2 Brogans, Gooch, Donaghy, McDonnell, Clarke, Murphy, O'Sullivan, Coulter, Doyle, Goulding, O'Connor, O'Neill, Galvin . . . take your pick

I seen Paddy Bradley 2 years ago in Celtic park and in fairness hes not all that hes made up to be

I feel McNamee is a better footballer than all these on his day, I know i would be grateful if Armagh had him
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

screenexile

Jees this is getting out of hand. Someone said that on his day he's the best forward in the Country. I personally don't think he is. All those I mentioned on their best day are better footballers. He is up there with the top forwards in the Country. Would that make everyone feel better?

Ps. If Armagh were offered Paddy Bradley would you not take him??

Tony Baloney

Minder

I am in being no way critical, but just wondering why he has decided to go public with this? Part of the "healing process"? Different in Mc Convilles case as he had a book out at the time.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Armaghgael

Quote from: screenexile on January 12, 2012, 08:19:37 PM
Jees this is getting out of hand. Someone said that on his day he's the best forward in the Country. I personally don't think he is. All those I mentioned on their best day are better footballers. He is up there with the top forwards in the Country. Would that make everyone feel better?

Ps. If Armagh were offered Paddy Bradley would you not take him??

If i had the choice of him or McNamee it would be McNamee
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

bcarrier

Gambling AND alcohol are a bad combination.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sea The Stars

A lot of posters don't appreciate how good McNameee is.....especially Ulster ones.....maybe because they haven't seen enough of him.

But he's a serious act. One of those virtuoso type players who can do anything and yet make it look easy. Wouldn't be many better than him.........Bernard and Alan Brogan, Colm Cooper.......wouldn't say there's many others better. And that's "on his day" which 99% of the time is every day he plays.

He's a lot better than most of the players Screenexile mentioned! The Bradleys? Bit of Derry bias going on there. Coulter, Clarke, Goulding, O'Connor, Galvin......good players, Galvin maybe even very good but.......please.

Stephen O'Neill, what a player, now he deserves to be mentioned in this debate. I'd put him ahead of McNamee and McDonnell, Declan O'Sullivan and Donaghy on a par.

INDIANA

Quote from: screenexile on January 12, 2012, 07:47:01 PM
I've seen him play. Good footballer and probably a good lad too and these are really unfotunate circumstances he finds himself in as well and I hope he comes out the other end.

Let's not get carried away though, he's not making the top 10: 2 Bradleys, 2 Brogans, Gooch, Donaghy, McDonnell, Clarke, Murphy, O'Sullivan, Coulter, Doyle, Goulding, O'Connor, O'Neill, Galvin . . . take your pick

you've obviously never seen him play. senior county championship debut at 17 and tore laois to shreds.

Miles better then Goulding. Miles better then  Coulter and O Connor At least as good as the Bradleys and definitely a classier player then Donaghy.

Not as good as Stephen O Neill, Gooch or the Brogans but few have the priviledge of that.

If you put at least half your list playing with Offaly thye wouldnt have done half as well.

Oak Leafer

Fella's,

I think the debate on how good a footballer Niall is considered to be, is irrelevant on this thread.

He has a genuinely serious personal issue to deal with and the reason for making it public is for him to put rumours and hear says to bed.

I just think the arguments about who he is better than or not better than are distasteful considering what he is probably going through at the minute.

Irrespective of how good a player he is, no doubt this has possibly restricted him in achieving his full potential.

NAG1

Not in any way to comment on this case but I am just wondering about the wider implication of sports betting and Gaelic Footballers or Hurlers having the ability to bet on something that they can have an affect in the outcome. We can see the trouble that cricket find themselves in, are we just a step away from something similar?

Minder

Quote from: NAG1 on January 13, 2012, 01:34:55 PM
Not in any way to comment on this case but I am just wondering about the wider implication of sports betting and Gaelic Footballers or Hurlers having the ability to bet on something that they can have an affect in the outcome. We can see the trouble that cricket find themselves in, are we just a step away from something similar?

It has happened before, it just hasn't been uncovered. Anybody tha thinks it doesent happen is very naive. Not saying its widespread though.