Death of Frankie Donnelly

Started by Red Nose Red Hand, March 15, 2007, 07:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Nose Red Hand

I was in the shop just now and picked up a copy of Tyrone Times and there's a report in it titles 'Death of a legend, Frankie Donnelly. The former Tyrone and Carrickmore great died on Wednesday night. It quoes Jody O'Neill saying he was the Peter Canavan of his era - and he apparently once scored 4-11 in a Hagan Cup match against Fermanagh. Must have been come player.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Red Nose Red Hand on March 15, 2007, 07:47:25 PM
I was in the shop just now and picked up a copy of Tyrone Times and there's a report in it titles 'Death of a legend, Frankie Donnelly. The former Tyrone and Carrickmore great died on Wednesday night. It quoes Jody O'Neill saying he was the Peter Canavan of his era - and he apparently once scored 4-11 in a Hagan Cup match against Fermanagh. Must have been come player.

Ar dhéis Dé go raibh a anam uisle, Laoch Gael ar fad a bhí ann.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ziggysego

By all accounts, he was some player. Rest in Peace Frankie.
Testing Accessibility

Over the Bar

My da has reminded me for the past 35 years about his scoring prowess.  He was at the Fermanagh game when Frankie set that inter-county scoring record (which I believe still stands to this day)  and said that he had at least 2 other goals disallowed!  Rest in Peace & condolences to the family. 

Flirtyflan

Rest In Peace  Frank
Condolences to the Donnelly Family.

Pangurban

Saw him play many times, very tough and skilful, a whole hearted player. May he rest in peace

KIDDO

Quote from: Red Nose Red Hand on March 15, 2007, 07:47:25 PM

tieroan

RIP.
There is a story floating about Coalisland last night about him winning a championship match for Carmen without even touching the ball. It was against Coalisland in 1969 semi final i think. Coalisland were two points up going into injury time. Donnelly had been causing havoc all day and was being double marked despite the fact that he was in his forties. He would clap his hands when he wanted the ball and the rest of the Carmen forwards would give it to him. It emerged after the game that he told their no 11 when time was near up to run straight at the goals the next time he got the ball and Donnelly would go to one side and clap his hands demanding the ball, as a deversion. Nothing new about this apart from the fact that the two men marking Donnelly, the centre back and the GOALIE all ran towards Frankie, leaving an open goal which Carmen took to break Fianna hearts. He probably did not mean to have such an effect on the score but it goes to show! Canavan had a similar affect for Errigal. Was Donnelly a big fella, like was it power he relied on?

realredhandfan

Legend can be a term often overused.. not in this case.  A Tyrone and Carmen legend.  Sympathies to his family and the Carrickmore club at this time.

Redgreenery