Are Michael O Neill and Gerry Armstong Off Their Heads??

Started by Fear Bun Na Sceilpe, January 05, 2012, 12:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 22, 2012, 06:25:20 PM
Joe Brolly's a bigoted wee t**t. Like so many 'gaels', he starts from the position that if you don't play GAA, speak Irish, or know the words to a hundred dirges that drone on about our glorious dead and the perfidious Brits, then really you're not Irish at all. He and his like (that big eejit Jarlath Burns is the same) are the Irish equivalent of the BNP.

On the wider issue of whether or not the GAA is sectarian: people are saying that it isn't because noone asks your religion when you sign up. That's ducking the issue. Employment legislation recognises discrimination as being more than whether or not someone asks what school you went to. In years gone by, the likes of Shorts and Harland and Wolff were guilty of discrimination, not because they asked someone's religion, but because they created they conditions that meant it was highly unlikely that a Catholic would apply for a job in the first place. (Jobs passed on from father to son ie from Protestant to Protestant, work spaces bedecked with loyalist memorabilia, etc) The GAA is exactly the same. The overwhelming, all pervading nationalist / republican ethos of the organisation means that very few protestants would feel comfortable going anywhere near a GAA club. People on here get uptight about 'kick the pope bands' being named after loyalist killers, but have no problem with GAA competitions or clubs being named in honour of IRA killers. People go on about GSTQ being played before NI football games, but have no problem with A Soldier's Song (it was written in English, so f**k off with the Paddy whackery language stuff) being played before county games. And why does the tricolour have to fly above every GAA ground? Why does the winning captain of the All Ireland champions have to start his victory speech in Irish? Etc etc etc. I can understand why some people have a problem with NI football, though it's not half as bad as painted by Brolly, by please don't try and kid yourself that the GAA is some sort of beacon of tolerance and diversity.

0/10

So basically, "play the man" and "what about the GAA?"

Even your colleague, Evil Genius denounces you as a WUM. Sometimes it would be better to quit when you're not that far behind. 
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 22, 2012, 10:20:11 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 22, 2012, 10:08:52 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 22, 2012, 09:58:55 PM
That tergiversating t**t (Myles) employs a board moniker of a true Gael, yet can't pass an opportunity up to do bitterly down anything remotely Gaelic. I can only assume that he's under (Orange) conjugal orders to so do, lest his bed be a cold place for Taigs, even of the most cravenly subservient variety.
I've a new phone with a dictionary.com app that i thought would never be used!
Somebody else got a new phone with a thesaurus.com app that he was determined would be used.  :P

Don't have a smartphone, some of us don't need them.  :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 23, 2012, 07:13:11 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 22, 2012, 09:58:55 PM
That tergiversating t**t (Myles) employs a board moniker of a true Gael, yet can't pass an opportunity up to do bitterly down anything remotely Gaelic. I can only assume that he's under (Orange) conjugal orders to so do, lest his bed be a cold place for Taigs, even of the most cravenly subservient variety.
In your shoes, I'd forget about the big words and focus more on eliminating your split infinitives.  ;)

I'd prefer to split my infinitives (moot point as to whether that constitutes anything other than an unbearable snobbishness towards the use of the English language) than to have a self-flagellating split-personality!  :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Hardy on January 23, 2012, 09:33:38 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 23, 2012, 07:09:12 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 22, 2012, 08:03:36 PM
Myles seems to be one of those  Irish people who have a problem with any expressions of those things which make us Irish different  - games , music , language etc.
Different from whom, other Irish people?? There are nearly 1 million citizens of this island who have no affinity or connection with either the Irish language or gaelic games. Does that mean they aren't Irish, or are they a slightly inferior kind of Irish - Irish lite, maybe? These things don't make us Irish. Nor does adherence to any political philosophy or religious creed make us Irish. What makes us Irish is being born on the island of Ireland, or being born into the family of people from the island of Ireland.

Myles, I share the view you purport to espouse about the multiplicity of Irish identities and their equal validity. Isn't it a little hypocritical, then, to select a single one of those identities for abuse and ridicule? Doubly so when you do it in the course of a demand for inclusiveness and equal respect for all?
I posted after reading Joe Brolly's bigoted rant about the NI football team. His article is full of half truths, out of date 'facts' and 'guilty by association' smears. I don't support NI, but I know many decent, honest people who do and it angers me when educated people like Brolly trot out this crap in an effort to make the unionist community look like sectarian morons. Having calmed down a bit since, let me restate my argument in a more measured way. I'm not against the Irish language. I studied it at school until 3rd year and spent 3 weeks of one summer at an Irish summer school at Garron Tower. I respect those who take the time and trouble to learn the language and it's one of those things I have down to do when I retire, though I doubt I'll ever get round to it. What I object to is the language being used as a cultural weapon with which to advance a political philosophy. It isn't the only thing that's used in this way - someone on the thread about Derry uses the term 'cultural nazism' and that's what it is. The GAA is part of this kind of thinking. To be a 'proper' Irishman you have to enjoy gaelic games, speak Irish, like a certain kind of music, believe in a particular political structure. If you don't and you're from a nationalist background, you're dismissed as a west Brit, or a Castle Catholic, or a stoop, etc etc. Those from the unionist community aren't viewed as proper Irish at all. If they happen to support the NI football team, or cherish the political link with GB, or view NI as a country in its own right, then they're automatically assigned the label 'bigot'. And all this from the same people who talk about uniting the island and bringing people together! I think of this kind of mindset as a kind of paddywhackery: it's fake, it's offensive and, in my view, it's not 'proper' Irish at all.

Hardy

There you go again. In a craven attempt to climb down from your bigoted perch, you tumble blindly into a swill-pit of of foaming prejudice and spew another tirade of anti-GAA bigotry.  Show me the evidence that "the GAA" believes that

"To be a 'proper' Irishman you have to enjoy gaelic games, speak Irish, like a certain kind of music, believe in a particular political structure. If you don't and you're from a nationalist background, you're dismissed as a west Brit, or a Castle Catholic, or a stoop, etc etc. Those from the unionist community aren't viewed as proper Irish at all. If they happen to support the NI football team, or cherish the political link with GB, or view NI as a country in its own right, then they're automatically assigned the label 'bigot'. And all this from the same people who talk about uniting the island and bringing people together".

Name the GAA officials who have propounded this extraordinary set of beliefs. Show me where they are stated in any GAA documentation.

It is quite bizarre that in a rant bemoaning the alleged demonisation of one whole community, you feel free to label the entire membership of the GAA as espousing a fanciful, made-up set of repugnant attitudes.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 23, 2012, 11:51:30 AM
Individual members of The GAA is are part of this kind of thinking.

Fixed that for you.

In this instance, Brolly was speaking as an individual, not as a member of either the GAA or the legal profession.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Hardy on January 23, 2012, 12:29:16 PM
There you go again. In a craven attempt to climb down from your bigoted perch, you tumble blindly into a swill-pit of of foaming prejudice and spew another tirade of anti-GAA bigotry.  Show me the evidence that "the GAA" believes that

"To be a 'proper' Irishman you have to enjoy gaelic games, speak Irish, like a certain kind of music, believe in a particular political structure. If you don't and you're from a nationalist background, you're dismissed as a west Brit, or a Castle Catholic, or a stoop, etc etc. Those from the unionist community aren't viewed as proper Irish at all. If they happen to support the NI football team, or cherish the political link with GB, or view NI as a country in its own right, then they're automatically assigned the label 'bigot'. And all this from the same people who talk about uniting the island and bringing people together".

Name the GAA officials who have propounded this extraordinary set of beliefs. Show me where they are stated in any GAA documentation.

It is quite bizarre that in a rant bemoaning the alleged demonisation of one whole community, you feel free to label the entire membership of the GAA as espousing a fanciful, made-up set of repugnant attitudes.
In the course of this thread I've already named 2, namely Brolly and Burns. How many do you want? These two may or may not hold an official post within the organisation, but in many ways they are the public face of the GAA. They are broadcasters and journalists who talk about the GAA on television and at public functions. They are both columnists for 'Gaelic Life'. So far, I've yet to hear of the GAA publicly distancing itself from their comments. When Burns went on a pro IRA rant on behalf of MMcG, I didn't hear any GAA 'official' step forward and say that he wasn't speaking on behalf of the organisation. Until I do, I'll assume his comments meet with general approval within the organisation. Ditto Brolly's anti NI rant.

glens73

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 23, 2012, 01:05:10 PM

In the course of this thread I've already named 2, namely Brolly and Burns. How many do you want? These two may or may not hold an official post within the organisation, but in many ways they are the public face of the GAA. They are broadcasters and journalists who talk about the GAA on television and at public functions. They are both columnists for 'Gaelic Life'. So far, I've yet to hear of the GAA publicly distancing itself from their comments. When Burns went on a pro IRA rant on behalf of MMcG, I didn't hear any GAA 'official' step forward and say that he wasn't speaking on behalf of the organisation. Until I do, I'll assume his comments meet with general approval within the organisation. Ditto Brolly's anti NI rant.

Are you for real?

Do you expect the GAA to sit there everyday and read the papers and then issue a statement whether it supports (or not) an article that someone wrote, just because they happen to be a member of the GAA.

shawshank

Myles, you are one of the reasons this society has its troubles, your problem is easy explained thou, put simply, you are stupid.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: glens73 on January 23, 2012, 01:19:53 PM

Are you for real?

Do you expect the GAA to sit there everyday and read the papers and then issue a statement whether it supports (or not) an article that someone wrote, just because they happen to be a member of the GAA.
If someone is a high profile GAA member, sought out by the likes of the BBC or 'Gaelic Life' for their views on various matters (and Gaelic Life columnists don't limit themselves just to matters pertaining to gaelic sports) then yes, I would expect the GAA to react when they make headlines for their comments. To do otherwise is to allow the perception that they are putting forward mainstream GAA views to take root. (The fact that so many on here seem to have no problem with Brolly's comments, or Burns before that, would seem to confirm the my belief that these are views widely held within the GAA community).
Here's a reasoned response to Brolly's bigotry:
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/football/brolly_views_should_not_detract_from_ifa_progress_1_3445771

Myles Na G.

Quote from: shawshank on January 23, 2012, 01:24:22 PM
Myles, you are one of the reasons this society has its troubles, your problem is easy explained thou, put simply, you are stupid.
You might be right, but at least I can spell, ya thick!

LeoMc

::) ::)

LeoMc

I am still waiting on their opinion on the Republican nomination for the US presidency as there are GAA members voted in the Iowa caucus. Until then I have to assume they are in favour of open marriages and sacking workers.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: LeoMc on January 23, 2012, 01:36:52 PM

I am still waiting on their opinion on the Republican nomination for the US presidency as there are GAA members voted in the Iowa caucus. Until then I have to assume they are in favour of open marriages and sacking workers.
If the Republican nominee was himself a GAA member you'd have just made a relevant contribution to the thread. As it is, you haven't.  ::) ::) ;)

AQMP

Is that you Olly ???