Goal, Save and Point of the Year

Started by TheThirdManning, December 29, 2011, 08:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheThirdManning

Thought this might create abit of debate in these quite winter months when all our players have their feet up and are resting  ;D

Goal of the year - Darran O'Sullivan's flicked goal
Point of the Year - Kevin Cassidy's late point for Donegal
Save of the Year - Eoin Culleton's save against Dublin for Laois

TheThirdManning

Actually why don't people say the best of the above three they saw in a game involving their own county. That should throw up a few more interesting answers

ross4life

Quote from: TheThirdManning on December 29, 2011, 09:13:27 PM
Actually why don't people say the best of the above three they saw in a game involving their own county. That should throw up a few more interesting answers
Ok.

1st half point by Senan Kilbride v Leitrim.

Sean Cavanagh's first goal v us (though our defence parted like the red sea)

The save by Mayo's keeper Robert Hennelly when a point seemed assured, that save more or less won the Connacht title. (strong wind assisted his save)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Breffni_Yank

Christ our senior team didn't give us much to cheer about.

Goal of the year - Ulster U21 final. Niall Murray goal in the first minute.
Point of the Year - Eugene Keating's point against Longford in the Qualifers or Kings in the u21 final late in the Ulster final.
Save of the Year - A save in the u21 Final against Galway. They got it in eventually! Its about 9.3 minutes into this video for anyone as bored as I am - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfZF7xzoyuM

Donnellys Hollow

Goal
Éamonn Callaghan - Daisy cutter from way out beating Cluxton all ends up. Pity it didn't force a replay.

Point
Kevin Cassidy - Sickener.

Save
Can't really recall many top saves in all our matches from last year even though Connolly was very solid. One of his two penalty saves against DCU in the O'Byrne Cup was class.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Onlooker

For Tipperary it would have to be from the Minor Championship run.
Goal - Colman Kennedy's winner in the All Ireland Final.
Point - Liam McGrath's late late winner against Kerry.
Save- Evan Comerford in the 1st half against a fine Roscommon team.

mannix

It's debatable, great scores and saves all year long but the performance of the tipp minor footballers in the final gets my vote. The winning goal was a thing of beauty, where did Tipperary get players with the nerve to score like that? And some of the points seemed so effortless, even from distance.

In senior football Alan dillon of mayo had possession in his own half, ran along the sideline and kicked a long low ball up to o Connor, dillon kept running and received as good a pass as I have ever seen from mayo back of o Connor, then he beat 2 cork boys and knocked it over. That was my favorite score this year.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on December 29, 2011, 10:09:01 PM
Goal
Éamonn Callaghan - Daisy cutter from way out beating Cluxton all ends up. Pity it didn't force a replay.

Point
Kevin Cassidy - Sickener.

Save
Can't really recall many top saves in all our matches from last year even though Connolly was very solid. One of his two penalty saves against DCU in the O'Byrne Cup was class.
Im not sure if you or any of the kildare lads were there at our league game back in april, but David mayes equalizing point from play near the sideline on the right just inside the 45 and he hit a skyscraper, similar to sean davey connacht final point but from a tighter angle. That pt would of kept us up but kildare got last gasp score so the considering the pressure was the best score i seen all year.

Best goal was the tipp one in the AI Minor final.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Dinny Breen

Quote from: mannix on December 30, 2011, 02:42:05 PM
It's debatable, great scores and saves all year long but the performance of the tipp minor footballers in the final gets my vote. The winning goal was a thing of beauty, where did Tipperary get players with the nerve to score like that? And some of the points seemed so effortless, even from distance.

+1

Considering the context - brilliant from young Kennedy
#newbridgeornowhere

squire_in_navy_slacks

Point - Donaghys equaliser versus Dublin or Cluxs winner in same game

Goal - OSullivans versus Cork

Save - E Culliton numerous saves vs dublin to keep the game close

donegal_abu

Goal : O'Sullivans wee flick !

Point : No doubt for me over this, Cassidys point ;)

Save : To be honest, none really stand out for me atm

Westside

Goal of the year: Conor Finnegan v Tyrone Minor Semi Final. Beast of a gosson using every ounce of his strength to end the Red Hand Hoodoo. 

Point of the year: Jack Brady's second last score against Wexford in the Semi Final, met with a roar from Cavan supporters that I'll never forget. Honorable mentions to Keatings second half score v Tipp in the final game of the league and Patrick Kings Ulster Final score, immense courage from a man only on the field a few minutes into such an intense game.

Save of the year: Alan O'Mara v Fermanagh first round U21, leaping save high to his right. Class. 

Apart from Cavan goal of the year would be Tipp Minor Final goal, Donaghy's last point in the AI Final and Donegal Keepers save (can't remember against who)