Buy Irish and spend your money here

Started by Denn Forever, December 14, 2011, 10:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Am I surprised?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/all-ireland-tickets-printed-in-us-and-italy-177199.html

IT'S the most Irish of sporting occasions, one of the purest cultural platforms we retain as a nation.

So how come those priceless tickets for the All-Ireland hurling and football finals are printed in America?

What's worse is that tickets for other glamour GAA Championship matches are printed in Italy.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/all-ireland-tickets-printed-in-us-and-italy-177199.html#ixzz1gVBT7MM8
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Rossfan

Next time ye complain about costs of affiliation etc ... just say you want to pay more so the tickets can be printed in Ireland  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eamonnca1

Minder

In fairness I would say they put it out to tender and whoever is the most competitive gets the gig, don't see a lot wrong with that
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Maguire01

From the GAA Rules:

Playing Gear and Equipment
(a) All jerseys, shorts, stockings, tracksuits and kitbags,
worn and/or used for official matches, in pre-match
or post-match television or video interviews and
photographs, shall be of Irish manufacture. This
requirement shall also apply to replica playing gear.

If HQ can do this with the tickets, why not open these other markets to Adidas, Puma, Umbro etc? How competitive would the current suppliers be, up against global companies?

Eamonnca1

I can't remember the last time that rule was enforced. It's an anachronism.

There's plenty of suppliers of soccer jerseys around the world, but international GAA clubs still predominantly buy from O'Neill's.  They don't do it because of Official Guide rules or out of economic patriotism, and they certainly don't do it because they're competitive on price (O'Neill's stuff isn't cheap).  They buy from O'Neill's because you get good service when it comes to the design of your kit, good service when shipping, and the stuff is good quality and is durable.

Rasharkin Gael

Kurki are waiting on a license from the gas at the moment to produce kit. Their gear is fantastic quality and they will make a big difference to how competitive oneills are.

Maguire01

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 14, 2011, 06:12:09 PM

There's plenty of suppliers of soccer jerseys around the world, but international GAA clubs still predominantly buy from O'Neill's.  They don't do it because of Official Guide rules or out of economic patriotism, and they certainly don't do it because they're competitive on price (O'Neill's stuff isn't cheap).  They buy from O'Neill's because you get good service when it comes to the design of your kit, good service when shipping, and the stuff is good quality and is durable.
Do clubs use Adidas / Umbro / Puma etc? I think all counties use Azzurri / O'Neills. Is there any case where the rule would have to be enforced?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 14, 2011, 06:20:55 PM
Do clubs use Adidas / Umbro / Puma etc?

None that I'm aware of.

Is there any case where the rule would have to be enforced?

None that I'm aware of. 

Maguire01

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 14, 2011, 06:27:01 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on December 14, 2011, 06:20:55 PM
Do clubs use Adidas / Umbro / Puma etc?

None that I'm aware of.

Is there any case where the rule would have to be enforced?

None that I'm aware of.
Well in that case, this comment:
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 14, 2011, 06:12:09 PM
...makes no sense.

Pangurban

This is a disgraceful situation, the GAA above all should be setting an example and supporting Irish business. I intend to raise this at Co.Board and suggest that you all do the same

orangeman

Apparently the only irish company that tendered for the job were 10 times the price of the lowest tenderer.

Lar Naparka

According to a GAA spokesperson on TV3 earlier, the reason the printing was done in the US was because there was no Irish firm that had the technology needed to meet the level of security required.
There is now one Irish firm capable of meeting the standards the GAA feel are necessary to thwart counterfeiters but there was no indication from this source that future orders would be sourced from the Irish company.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ha ha derry

Once upon a time Kerry senior football team used the Adidas kit. Caused at bit of angst in Croker hence the guaranteed Irish badge that used to be on all the jerseys.

orangeman

Dr Crokes had an amended motion passed which called for every effort be made to have All-ireland championship tickets printed in Ireland.

All- Ireland Final tickets are presently printed in America with all other Championship tickets printed in Italy. Delegates were informed that each the Croke Park puts the ticket printing contract out to tender but so far Irish companies have been priced out of the job.