Earliest Sporting Memory

Started by 5 Sams, December 09, 2011, 04:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

One of the lads in the Irish News today was writing about the first World Cup he remembers. Got me thinking.

What's the earliest sporting occasion you remember?

Mine is sitting with my da watchin the 1970 World Cup Final in b&w.
The Aristocrat Years

Dinny Breen

!979 FA Cup final - sitting on my uncle's lap - he was a Gooner since he moved to London in the 60s and 1979 All-Ireland Final - just remember Galway were playing in that.
#newbridgeornowhere

Shamrock Shore

Live - 1975 AIF sitting on me Da's knee in Cusack Stand.

TV (GAA) - AIF 1974 Dublin v Galway
TV (soccer) - 1975 FA Cup semi final replay - West Ham v Ipswitch (I was in hosp getting tonsils and adenoids out)

Orior

On my Dad's knee watching the Saturday night wrestling. Our favourite was Mick McManus.

Watching Poyntzpass play (Whitcross I think) on the old pitch which you had to cross the railway track to get to. All the players seemed like giants

I also remember seeing my first ever soccer match on a colour television. It was in a well-off uncle's house and I was amazed to see green grass on a tv.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

Tv 1979 hurling final
Live 1980 AIHSF Offaly v Galway

I thought it would always be like 1980

thejuice

Was in Croker to watch a Meath Vs Dublin league game I think it was.

I remember being there in the old Cusack for the first time but don't remember the year or who won. Must have been around 1986 or 1987.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Bingo

Memories of been at loads of GAA matches in the early 80's as a nipper - no idea of locations but it normally involved been squashed in a car with a load of half cut men - old fella had a pub and no-one was left behind and it was a rule that pints was taken on the way to and from.

First game in Croke Park I remember is NL semi V Tyrone in 85. Sat in Lower hogan. Was a regular it seemed for years then. I can remember the Centenary Cup in 1984 but wasn't allowed go and I remember huffing as the rest pulled off leaving me at home. I'd have been 8.

First memory of an prolonged interest in soccer tournement Mexico 1986

Gaffer

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 09, 2011, 04:48:01 PM
One of the lads in the Irish News today was writing about the first World Cup he remembers. Got me thinking.

What's the earliest sporting occasion you remember?

Mine is sitting with my da watchin the 1970 World Cup Final in b&w.

Ditto, 5 Sams
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Hoof Hearted

1979 European Cup Final, Forest v Malmo, won 1-0 with a Trevor Francis header. explains why im a forest fan. they followed it up the following season by defending it.

In GAA it was the 1981 final, Kerry v Offaly, which i was at with my parents. Canal End
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

BennyCake

1985 League final in Croke Park. Armagh v Monaghan. I can remember Joe Kernan scoring the first point of the game from a free. For me, it seems like it was kicked from his own 14 yard line. Was probably a bit nearer though. Maybe the 21 :D

mylestheslasher

Killeshandra community games where we used to field teams with a mixture of ages from U12 up to u18, absolutely mental if you think about it. Remember getting a mighty belt in one of them matches, think I was 11!

Earliest GAA was a league game in 84 I think Cavan v Dublin

Soccer, probably the 85 FA cup final.

borderfox

Sitting in the Hogan watching Mayo v Dublin draw in the 1985 AI Semi final 1 -13 apeice. That was a great game, Kevin McStay kicked a last gasp free or 45 to level it.  I would love to see the highlights of that match again
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Harold Disgracey

TV probably the 1976 Montreal Olympics.
Live the 1977 Ulster final.

Orior

Quote from: Take Your Points on December 09, 2011, 07:57:07 PM
Everyone listening to the Ali - Liston fight on the radio in 1964.

Ah the memories of radio luxembourg and scanning the airwaves and picking all those foreign stations
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tony Baloney

Not strictly a sporting event but I remember Question of Sport being on when my granny used to call to our house every Friday when I was about 4. Matches at the Feis would have been earliest sporting memory.