Previous topic - Next topic

LostInSpace

Quote from: hardstation on December 10, 2011, 12:15:15 AM
Quote from: LostInSpace on December 10, 2011, 12:11:47 AM
Quote from: hardstation on December 09, 2011, 11:39:46 PM
Quote from: fearglasmor on December 09, 2011, 11:22:25 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 09, 2011, 02:52:28 PM
Quote from: fearglasmor on December 09, 2011, 09:24:33 AM
My eldest was on a school trip to the Dail yesterday. She was totally underwhelmed by the chamber of empty seats. She only had two major impressions of the visit. The ceiling in the Senate chamber was fantastic and  Gerry Adams was the only politician who bothered to come up to them to say hello.

She and her classmates will more than likely all be eligible to vote in the next election.

I am obviously a critic of Adams but the importance of something like that can't be overstated. Those kids will remember it for life. Just one question, were they from his constituency?

No. Nowhere near his constituency. SF are doing a lot of hard graft and playing for the long term. Last general election they were the only ones to call to our door also. This sort of stuff has a cumulative effect over time and it will be the generation after Adams/McGuinness that will really reap the benefit.
It's true that they are good at building these 'on the ground' relationships, don't seem to be driven by the sniff of a sullied euro and after the "you murdered a child" argument can no longer be directed, that they have a quare chance of making it.

It's what they do then.

They have come a hell of a long way and are doing rightly.

Who exactly are the generation after McGuinness and Adams? Conor Murphy? Pah

After McGuinness and Adams SF will be what DUP were after Paisley, softer than shite!
Right...

Did you hit post by mistake before you got to finish that sentence or is that all you have to offer?

Once McGuinness and Adams step down, any 'hardline' Republicans that still vote SF will defect to the next best thing, Eirigi etc, look at the hardline unionists and their defection to TUV.

LostInSpace

You are correct to a certain extent, I agree the south is completely different. SF are making significant inroads down there.  My point is that I dont see SF being anywhere near as strong without McGuinness and Adams. I dont consider Paul Maskey as a relative newbie, hes been a SF councillor in West Belfast since 01, there is no comparison with him and Adams.

Captain Obvious

Gerry is expressing his desire to be part of society, or a subset of society. He is choosing the style they want out of many available. Many aren't dressing to be part of the crowd but to claim their individuality within the crowd.

Dail fashion is there to be enjoyed, not to be a slave to.

lawnseed

alot of the posters on here would like to see Gerry try on a 'tyburn' tie! however his strategy is perfect, his appeal in times of austerity is top drawer. here we have Edna Kenny the 'politician for change' caught out in deliberate lies regarding cronyism, nepotism, and lack of change in general, now roping the country into further loss of sovereignty. labour who like to potray themselves as center left - leaking TDs. as the austerity continues they will crack or turn into the PDS/GREENS disappearing up their own bums. Gerry and sinn fein are there for the long haul their rise to the top slow and measured not the type of boom/bust fg/ff politics that we have experienced thus far. it must be taken in the context that ireland is the most 'conservative' country in Europe and progress is bound to be slow. martins failure to win the presidency is a blessing!! theres no way he'd be sitting back in silence at this time while the government are on this crazy path in to the 'united states of Europe' ala the poetry muppet. I've listened to some of Michael D's early stuff when he had 'a pair' perhaps age has diluted him or hes sold his hide for a big house and a chance to spout his poetry- uninterrupted. either way theres no way he'd had stayed stum 20 years ago.
      the Irish electorate are like children they just want 'sweets' to keep quite. the trouble is there aren't enough sweets go round at the moment. but children grow up.. eventually.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Maguire01

Quote from: hardstation on December 10, 2011, 01:02:17 AM
Really?
Adams stood down in the north. Paul Maskey, a relative newbie, romped home in West Belfast.
You could literally stand anybody in West Belfast under the SF banner and they'd romp home. This proved it.

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on December 10, 2011, 10:33:38 AM
     the Irish electorate are like children they just want 'sweets' to keep quite. the trouble is there aren't enough sweets go round at the moment. but children grow up.. eventually.
...and when they grow up, they generally become more conservative.

Maguire01

martins failure to win the presidency is a blessing!! 
Even though you lost all that money?

theres no way he'd be sitting back in silence at this time while the government are on this crazy path in to the 'united states of Europe' ala the poetry muppet.
I would have though that's why you would want him in there?

lawnseed

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 10, 2011, 11:18:32 AM

theres no way he'd be sitting back in silence at this time while the government are on this crazy path in to the 'united states of Europe' ala the poetry muppet.
yeah and have him impeached or walk out. obviously not a job for a man of his integrity. money cant buy martin mcguiness

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on December 10, 2011, 11:24:31 AM

yeah and have him impeached or walk out. obviously not a job for a man of his integrity. money cant buy martin mcguiness
Did nobody realise this before the election?

lawnseed

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 10, 2011, 11:29:27 AM

what would you have? martin mcguinness splitting the country as the president/army boss comming out against the government as he tried to stand up for the irish people. in time the electorate will come around without confrontation. the exercise of the bid served a purpose. the next candidate for sinn fein will be more suited to the job

EC Unique

In 100 years Gerry Adams will be hailed as one of Ireland's greatest sons. Will ties even be worn then?

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on December 10, 2011, 11:46:42 AM

what would you have? martin mcguinness splitting the country as the president/army boss comming out against the government as he tried to stand up for the irish people. in time the electorate will come around without confrontation. the exercise of the bid served a purpose. the next candidate for sinn fein will be more suited to the job
I never wanted him for the job - you did. I never thought he was appropriate - you did. And remember, you didn't just think he'd win; you knew he would!

lawnseed

Quote from: Maguire01 on December 10, 2011, 12:15:25 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on December 10, 2011, 11:46:42 AM

I never wanted him for the job - you did. I never thought he was appropriate - you did. And remember, you didn't just think he'd win; you knew he would!
he may not have won the battle...

who was your choice? btw

Lar Naparka

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 09, 2011, 10:01:59 AM
Quote from: gawa316 on December 09, 2011, 09:49:09 AM
I've been involved in a few 'Let's Talk' events for young people in Fermanagh and have to say Michelle Gildernew is the only one who comes across in a positive light in the eyes of the young people.

Do they not realise that these young people will be ones voting in the next few years and how important it is to make a good impresssion on them?

The next generation of voters will not asscociate SF with the IRA as none of the them will have experienced the "Troubles".  Sinn Fein know this and are making good inroads with the younger voters.  I had a converstion the other night with a guy who would be very astute in regards to politics and he made a very interesting point about this years Presidential election.  SF knew they would never win, it was a dry run basically to set up the run for the next Presidential elction where Adams will run.  By then he will have contested at least 2 Genral elections and will be deemed more "acceptable".  Higgins won't run for a second term.  People made a big deal, myself included, about a SF President for the 100 year anniversary of the Rising.  I think SF are looking more towards being there for the 100 year Annivsersary to the historical 1918 election and the partition of the country.  By that stage they will be able to genuinely make the argument that they are the largest All Ireland party as they will make more in roads into the electorate in the south.

Anyway, the OP is a clown.
You are right about the fact that voters here in the republic are increasingly less concerned about the "Troubles" and SF's past associations with the IRA. Bread and butter issues dominate most people's daily agenda down here and I think Adams, McGuinness et al don't appear to appreciate the reality of this particular situation.
Adams has been in the Dail long enough to have made his name on the national scene but he has singularly failed to do this. O'Caolain, Mary Lou and Pearse Doherty in particular are the most prominent SF spokespersons on all matters relating to party policy. The Grizzled One has singularly failed to stamp his authority on proceedings and remains largely in the background.
I'm very surprised at this.
I had expected him to spearhead the party's attempts to establish itself as a leading force in the south but I think it's fair to say that Adams has done little to date to raise his own or his party's profile.
Sure, SF has lots of dedicated young activists but, as Ulick says, their core support is in inner city working class areas and those people have a bad voting record. The party will need to attract a lot more voters from other sections of the electorate if they are to become a serious force in southern politics.
The party has had outstanding success north of the border but doesn't seem capable or willing to adapt to the changed priorities that faces it down south.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

armaghniac

Adams time has passed, he has little to contribute to the future. Quite apart from a lack of  policies generally, he doesn't even have any useful policies to advance the 32 county agenda at this stage. SF are largely concerned with doling out handouts, and there won't be much money available for that in the future.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B