Gerry Adams

Started by Eamonnca1, December 09, 2011, 03:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Put a bleedin' tie on when you're in the Dail.

haranguerer

Nally Stand

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 09, 2011, 03:35:43 AM
Put a bleedin' tie on when you're in the Dail.

Good to see you have your priorities right when it comes to what goes on in the Dail. Reminds me of a comment I read elsewhere the other day. Pearse Doherty is delivering a budget response and some lad (possibly on p.ie) posted his big concern..... "Pearse Doherty how dare you not wear a jacket when addressing the Dail".

Any wonder the place is in a mess. Almost one in five would vote FF now according the latest poll. I wonder is this the same section of the population who  get worked up about dress code ahead of getting worked up about the budget.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

fearglasmor

My eldest was on a school trip to the Dail yesterday. She was totally underwhelmed by the chamber of empty seats. She only had two major impressions of the visit. The ceiling in the Senate chamber was fantastic and  Gerry Adams was the only politician who bothered to come up to them to say hello.

She and her classmates will more than likely all be eligible to vote in the next election.

Tubberman

Quote from: fearglasmor on December 09, 2011, 09:24:33 AM
My eldest was on a school trip to the Dail yesterday. She was totally underwhelmed by the chamber of empty seats. She only had two major impressions of the visit. The ceiling in the Senate chamber was fantastic and  Gerry Adams was the only politician who bothered to come up to them to say hello.

She and her classmates will more than likely all be eligible to vote in the next election.

Is there a point?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

fearglasmor

Quote from: Tubberman on December 09, 2011, 09:27:43 AM

Is there a point?

If you cant figure one out, then I'd say no. Not for you.

gawa316

I've been involved in a few 'Let's Talk' events for young people in Fermanagh and have to say Michelle Gildernew is the only one who comes across in a positive light in the eyes of the young people.

Do they not realise that these young people will be ones voting in the next few years and how important it is to make a good impresssion on them?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: gawa316 on December 09, 2011, 09:49:09 AM
I've been involved in a few 'Let's Talk' events for young people in Fermanagh and have to say Michelle Gildernew is the only one who comes across in a positive light in the eyes of the young people.

Do they not realise that these young people will be ones voting in the next few years and how important it is to make a good impresssion on them?

The next generation of voters will not asscociate SF with the IRA as none of the them will have experienced the "Troubles".  Sinn Fein know this and are making good inroads with the younger voters.  I had a converstion the other night with a guy who would be very astute in regards to politics and he made a very interesting point about this years Presidential election.  SF knew they would never win, it was a dry run basically to set up the run for the next Presidential elction where Adams will run.  By then he will have contested at least 2 Genral elections and will be deemed more "acceptable".  Higgins won't run for a second term.  People made a big deal, myself included, about a SF President for the 100 year anniversary of the Rising.  I think SF are looking more towards being there for the 100 year Annivsersary to the historical 1918 election and the partition of the country.  By that stage they will be able to genuinely make the argument that they are the largest All Ireland party as they will make more in roads into the electorate in the south.

Anyway, the OP is a clown.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 link=topic=20778.msg1055355#msg1055355

:D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Ulick

The only thing about people who say SF are good at getting the youth vote is much like their other core support in the 'inner city working class', they are lest likely to vote come election time.

Minder

Quote from: Ulick on December 09, 2011, 10:13:34 AM
The only thing about people who say SF are good at getting the youth vote is much like their other core support in the 'inner city working class', they are lest likely to vote come election time.

A very good point, voter apathy is something parties need to try and address.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

deiseach

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 09, 2011, 10:01:59 AM

The next generation of voters will not asscociate SF with the IRA as none of the them will have experienced the "Troubles".  Sinn Fein know this and are making good inroads with the younger voters.  I had a converstion the other night with a guy who would be very astute in regards to politics and he made a very interesting point about this years Presidential election.  SF knew they would never win, it was a dry run basically to set up the run for the next Presidential elction where Adams will run.  By then he will have contested at least 2 Genral elections and will be deemed more "acceptable".  Higgins won't run for a second term.  People made a big deal, myself included, about a SF President for the 100 year anniversary of the Rising.  I think SF are looking more towards being there for the 100 year Annivsersary to the historical 1918 election and the partition of the country.  By that stage they will be able to genuinely make the argument that they are the largest All Ireland party as they will make more in roads into the electorate in the south.

You do realise you need 50% + 1 of the vote on the last count to win the Presidency? Seven years isn't going to be long enough to make SF transfer-friendly.

AQMP

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 09, 2011, 10:01:59 AM

Are there plans to celebrate partition? ;)

muppet

I am obviously a critic of Adams but the importance of something like that can't be overstated. Those kids will remember it for life. Just one question, were they from his constituency?

As for the tie issue, personally it annoys me in a he has a funny way of talking sort of way, but it is hardly a priority. Anyway Adams is positively dressed for the boardroom in comparison to the likes of Wallace.
MWWSI 2017

nifan

Why would anyone give a shite if he was wearing a tie or not?