Gerry Adams

Started by Eamonnca1, December 09, 2011, 03:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: nifan on December 09, 2011, 03:40:59 PM
Why would anyone give a shite if he was wearing a tie or not?

Because his ties were close with the IRA.

Allegedly!
MWWSI 2017

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 09, 2011, 03:35:43 AM
Put a bleedin' tie on when you're in the Dail.

The big dirty beard has to go, imagine going into the Dail without a tie & a shave.

deiseach

Quote from: muppet on December 09, 2011, 03:43:58 PM

He's always been a knotty problem for the House of Windsor

Eamonnca1

He won't get my vote until he puts a tie on. And that's final.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: muppet on December 09, 2011, 03:43:58 PM

Allegedly!

Doogie Browser

Could have been a Paisley tie too though...

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 09, 2011, 09:22:48 AM
I wonder is this the same section of the population who  get worked up about dress code ahead of getting worked up about the budget.

Better cancel all these enquiries into the past then. The budget is more important, right?

sheamy

Quote from: hardstation on December 09, 2011, 08:49:17 PM
What is the point of ties?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-26841,00.html

Anthropologists would argue that the tie directs a viewer's attention downwards to the wearer's genitals (hence the arrow-like shape). A kind of displaced cod-piece.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Feckn hell, so what. Its Grizzly Adams and your worried about him not wearing a tie, way to talk about the wallpaper but ignore the Elephant in the room.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 09, 2011, 08:46:04 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on December 09, 2011, 09:22:48 AM
I wonder is this the same section of the population who  get worked up about dress code ahead of getting worked up about the budget.

Better cancel all these enquiries into the past then. The budget is more important, right?

Both vastly more important than not wearing a tie. Well...to me anyway, but each to their own.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

fearglasmor

Quote from: muppet on December 09, 2011, 02:52:28 PM
Quote from: fearglasmor on December 09, 2011, 09:24:33 AM
My eldest was on a school trip to the Dail yesterday. She was totally underwhelmed by the chamber of empty seats. She only had two major impressions of the visit. The ceiling in the Senate chamber was fantastic and  Gerry Adams was the only politician who bothered to come up to them to say hello.

She and her classmates will more than likely all be eligible to vote in the next election.

I am obviously a critic of Adams but the importance of something like that can't be overstated. Those kids will remember it for life. Just one question, were they from his constituency?

No. Nowhere near his constituency. SF are doing a lot of hard graft and playing for the long term. Last general election they were the only ones to call to our door also. This sort of stuff has a cumulative effect over time and it will be the generation after Adams/McGuinness that will really reap the benefit.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 09, 2011, 11:09:36 PM
Both vastly more important than not wearing a tie. Well...to me anyway, but each to their own.

Ah, so it is possible to deal with more than one thing at the same time then.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 09, 2011, 11:25:37 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on December 09, 2011, 11:09:36 PM

Ah, so it is possible to deal with more than one thing at the same time then.

Of course it is. Important things.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

LostInSpace

Quote from: hardstation on December 09, 2011, 11:39:46 PM
Quote from: fearglasmor on December 09, 2011, 11:22:25 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 09, 2011, 02:52:28 PM
Quote from: fearglasmor on December 09, 2011, 09:24:33 AM
My eldest was on a school trip to the Dail yesterday. She was totally underwhelmed by the chamber of empty seats. She only had two major impressions of the visit. The ceiling in the Senate chamber was fantastic and  Gerry Adams was the only politician who bothered to come up to them to say hello.

She and her classmates will more than likely all be eligible to vote in the next election.

I am obviously a critic of Adams but the importance of something like that can't be overstated. Those kids will remember it for life. Just one question, were they from his constituency?

No. Nowhere near his constituency. SF are doing a lot of hard graft and playing for the long term. Last general election they were the only ones to call to our door also. This sort of stuff has a cumulative effect over time and it will be the generation after Adams/McGuinness that will really reap the benefit.
It's true that they are good at building these 'on the ground' relationships, don't seem to be driven by the sniff of a sullied euro and after the "you murdered a child" argument can no longer be directed, that they have a quare chance of making it.

It's what they do then.

They have come a hell of a long way and are doing rightly.

Who exactly are the generation after McGuinness and Adams? Conor Murphy? Pah

After McGuinness and Adams SF will be what DUP were after Paisley, softer than shite!

Eamonnca1

One thing you have to hand to SF is their political smarts. They have built a great grass-roots organisation and an international support network. As others have said they seem to have a long-term view and are working towards it. Steady progress that adds up over years.

Should still wear a tie though.