What A Bloody Shambles

Started by Pangurban, March 14, 2007, 09:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Have just heard that the NFL. Final will probably not be played in Croker. Reasons cited are the need to renovate the pitch,and/or the likelihood of a less than maximum attendance. This is our second biggest national competition. If we have our major stadium fit to host it ,and give our best players the opportunity to play there,then whats the bloody poit of maintaining it. Far from being a source of pride,as it should be, it is instead becoming a subject of controversy and division. If the only way we can maintain it and make it pay is by renting it out to all and sundry,while at the same time limiting the opportunities for our own kids to play there, then we would be better off without it.  Giving the history and associations it would be a very painful decision, but a sound financial one. To sell and move to a green field site outside of Dublin,where a more modest Stadium could be constructed with better parking and access, A stadium which would not require such a large crowd to make it economic too use and where even our young Boys and Girls might have a reasonable expectation of getting a game. Surely its worth considering

tayto

Jaysus thats a fine rant. I dont think the cost of opening it due to a small crowd has anything to do with it, i think you're thinkin gof that often misquoted figure that Liam Mulvill said one time, people keep quoting him out of context. If needing maximum capacity was the only issue the junior club hurling and football finals wouldnt have been played there the other weekend, must have been a crwod of about 15k.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Pangurban on March 14, 2007, 09:59:20 PM
Have just heard that the NFL. Final will probably not be played in Croker. Reasons cited are the need to renovate the pitch,and/or the likelihood of a less than maximum attendance. This is our second biggest national competition. If we have our major stadium fit to host it ,and give our best players the opportunity to play there,then whats the bloody poit of maintaining it. Far from being a source of pride,as it should be, it is instead becoming a subject of controversy and division. If the only way we can maintain it and make it pay is by renting it out to all and sundry,while at the same time limiting the opportunities for our own kids to play there, then we would be better off without it.  Giving the history and associations it would be a very painful decision, but a sound financial one. To sell and move to a green field site outside of Dublin,where a more modest Stadium could be constructed with better parking and access, A stadium which would not require such a large crowd to make it economic too use and where even our young Boys and Girls might have a reasonable expectation of getting a game. Surely its worth considering

Can I assume there was no controversy and division over last year's NFL Final Venue, when Croke Park hadn't been 'opened up'?   ::)

muppet

Pangurban 7,000 people attended last year's final between Kerry and Galway. Please try harder.
MWWSI 2017

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: muppet on March 14, 2007, 10:51:09 PM
Pangurban 7,000 people attended last year's final between Kerry and Galway. Please try harder.

Poor showing alright, will people now admit that the GAA reap huge rewards from the Ulster counties and their supporters, I would almost include the Jackeens in there as they pull a good attendance - occasionally ;)
Tbc....

Pangurban

Quote from Muppet,,,, Pangurban 7,000 people attended last year's final between Kerry and Galway. Please try harder.
Why address this to me, i never complained about attendances, i merely reported a statement from headquarters made yesterday which cited the likelihood of a less than capacity attendance, as a reason for not making Croker available for this years NFL.final. Thats what im taking issue with.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

I agree with Pangurban on this one, League finals are the second biggest games in the Gaelic calander, and should be held in the National Stadium!
I thought that I heard this story floating about weeks ago just before the rugby games were held in Croker?
Tbc....

muppet

The point is that this problem has nothing to do with us being violated which is the latent theme to most of your posts.

You suggested selling Croke Park and building a smaller stadium: 'To sell and move to a green field site outside of Dublin,where a more modest Stadium could be constructed with better parking and access, A stadium which would not require such a large crowd to make it economic too use and where even our young Boys and Girls might have a reasonable expectation of getting a game. Surely its worth considering'

Would not not consider the many fine stadiums all over the country ranging from the 50,000 capacity Semple to the 35,000 Capacity McHale Park that are already there. This poor mouth of ' even our young Boys and Girls might have a reasonable expectation of getting a game ' is just pathetic. Those kids don't get many games in any of the County grounds never mind Croker so see it is still not the heathens fault.

Selling Croke Park in a fit of pique over losing a vote does not represent a sound financial decision.   

MWWSI 2017

Pangurban

Muppet will you stop replying to arguments that no one is putting forward. This has nothing to do with the opening of Croker to other codes. It is about the way we organise our own affairs and manage our resources. Re.kids playing in other prestigious stadia, thats fine and i hope they all get the opportunity to do so. But if the Down ladies U16s reach an AI Final i believe they have earned their day in the sun at our National Stadium. The economics of Croker make that an impractical proposition. At the highest level of our games we can only fill it 3 or 4 times a year. In short it is not fit for purpose,and will forever be a White Elephant reliant on funds from outside sources to sustain it. Our money could be much better spent,and im sure most people reading this could think of many more beneficial projects

heganboy

Oh bullshit. This auld crap again. I havw played in an all ireland football final,and it certainly wasn't in croke. Sigerson final was not in croke. Who earns a day in the sun in croker for u-16 ladies anyway. Sell croke park and spend the money more wisely? No bother right after you sell your house and your car and then donate the money to concern. Sure you're only in the car an hour a day, and you spend most of your time in the house in bed or the sofa, you don't need all those other rooms.
Why don't you and true ulster gael start a separate forum and call it numptyboard.com
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Pangurban

Good man Heganboy, when you have nothing intelligent to say, spout out an an abusive tirade of irrationallity and nonsense, sure someone might mistake it for intelliget debate

Hound

Quote from: Pangurban on March 14, 2007, 09:59:20 PM
A stadium which would not require such a large crowd to make it economic too use and where even our young Boys and Girls might have a reasonable expectation of getting a game.
We have a number of such stadia, and I aree they should be used more and it would be great if our young boys and girls has a reasonable expectation of playing there. And NFL finals are ideal games to play there when relaltively small attendances are expected.

We don't need to sell Croke Park to have other good stadia, and to do so would be just nuts.

armaghniac

Well they reckoned that the likes of Armagh, Tyrone and Dublin were not going to qualify for the NFL final and that other combinations wouldn't be overcrowded.

However there is an issue re if Croke Pk is not to be used, while there are lots of big stadia in Munster there are not so many in other parts, there needs to a another medium sized ground in the Eastern side of the country.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

magpie seanie

I think the following is worth stating - last years NFL final would doubtless have had more than 7,000 people at it if it were in its rightful place in Croke Park played as a double header with the Div 2 final.

thejuice

Well with the right PR the GAA filled Croke park with 82,500 people for a league opener!!!!  So maybe if they got their finger out and put some promotion behind the league final people would go to it. the GAA seem very reluctant to promote the league for some reason. The lack of promo for the hurling league is very bad too. Why dont they play the Div2 finals of Football and hurling in a smaller venue and the Div 1 finals of Football and hurling in Croker as a double bill, now that would sell out!!
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016