Joe Brolly Endorsing Drugs?

Started by SC1Sports.com, December 06, 2011, 07:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SC1Sports.com

This is a snippet from Brolly's latest column which is probably doing the rounds in papers up and down the country:

"It's obvious Micko never took drugs. If he had spent a day/night/day/night/day at Club Amnesia in Ibiza as a young man, he would never have dreamt of going to Wicklow to get his kicks."

Witty, as usual, but how careless and irresponsible. In an attempt to be "one of the lads", Brolly's whole article has signalled drink as the main point of our sport - and thought the idea to abstain from it for any period of time was ludicrous.

http://bit.ly/rBF8kh

Eamonnca1

Where's the original article?

Edit: This must be it.

SC1Sports.com

That's the very one
Sorry - meant to include two links

Good man

Eamonnca1

QuoteWhen Queen Elizabeth arrived on the old sod, the first thing she did was hightail it to the Guinness Brewery, where with a bevy of government ministers she supped the life-giving, Willie Joe's advice ringing in her ears.

Yer trunks, Joe. She looked at the pint, her husband asked the requisite stupid questions about the stuff, and the pair of them politely walked on without drinking a drop of the stuff.

But sloppy fact-checking aside, I agree with the blog post. Brolly's attitude is a f**king disgrace. He fills several paragraphs at the end lauding the achievements of prominent sportsmen who broke records for beer consumption in a single sitting and rattles off a list of "so and so gets wasted, and so and so gets polaxed, and so-and-so drank this many gallons one night, boys o boys but he's some hero, wa?" Seems like if you can produce a long enough list of people who binge drink (or binge drank on one or more high profile occasions) then that alone is justification for binge drinking and it's something that should be encouraged.  But it isn't.

Here's the final line that really got me: "If, however, any of you are still interested in being a designated driver in January, send your details in to the editor and I will be in touch. How could anyone watch a McKenna Cup game sober?"

I know he's joking and I get it (ha f**king ha) but I do feel sorry for anyone who can't enjoy certain activities without being drunk.

Orangemac

Read this article. Maybe a bit too close to the bone for the author.

20 years ago drinking went hand in hand with team sports, soccer,GAA,rugby, all the stars of yesteryear have epic tales of nights they can't remember.

Times have moved on (apart from English rugby). You can be sure no Crossmaglen players will be falling out of the Canal Court round Christmas.

Surely Donegals success last year when they decided to take things seriously after years of enjoying themsleves is the most obvious example of how times have changed.

SC1Sports.com

Eamonnca1 you are absolutely spot on. I know people enjoy a drink and that'll never change and that's perfectly fine, but his attitude was that we could not do anything without the thing.

Donegal is exactly who I was thinking of Orangemac. Not the most talented group of individuals but they worked hard and made a lot of sacrifices. Brolly lauds praise on my own county for binge drinking prior to their Ulster semi but has no mention of how we didn't even come close to Donegal in the final.

Sloppy, lazy, pathetic piece

SC1Sports.com

Link to his article now appears on the site.

brokencrossbar1

Get over yourselves ye pious bloody fools. Brolly has the right attitude. Gaelic games are amatuer sports and he is not advocating that we all become raging drunks. He says its time we grew up and approaced things in an adult way onstead of treating footballers like your class in school. There are times for abstinence and times for going on the lash. That's basically what he is getting at.

customsandrevenue

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 06, 2011, 10:12:45 PM
Get over yourselves ye pious bloody fools. Brolly has the right attitude. Gaelic games are amatuer sports and he is not advocating that we all become raging drunks. He says its time we grew up and approaced things in an adult way onstead of treating footballers like your class in school. There are times for abstinence and times for going on the lash. That's basically what he is getting at.

Well said.

EC Unique

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 06, 2011, 10:12:45 PM
Spot on.

Some people really go out of their way to be offended.

sammymaguire

C'mon now Eamonn. Hop down off that high horse before you fall of it, safer down here on the ground with the rest of us lads, our feet on the ground. ;D
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Eamonnca1

I don't mean this in a patronising way (and by the way "patronising" means talking down to people) but Brolly is talking through his hat. He's not suggesting a mature approach to alcohol at all. He's advocating the teenage let's-go-out-and-get-completely-and-utterly-airlocked-and-then-brag-about-the-great-fellas-we-are approach. He needs to grow the hell up as does anyone who agrees with him.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: sammymaguire on December 06, 2011, 10:46:32 PM
C'mon now Eamonn. Hop down off that high horse before you fall of it, safer down here on the ground with the rest of us lads, our feet on the ground. ;D

No thanks. I like the view from up here.

muppet

Why is there a capital letter on the word 'drugs'? Is that an endorsement in itself?
MWWSI 2017

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 06, 2011, 11:02:45 PM
I don't mean this in a patronising way (and by the way "patronising" means talking down to people) but Brolly is talking through his hat. He's not suggesting a mature approach to alcohol at all. He's advocating the teenage let's-go-out-and-get-completely-and-utterly-airlocked-and-then-brag-about-the-great-fellas-we-are approach. He needs to grow the hell up as does anyone who agrees with him.

I'd say you're some craic on a night out!!! Clown ::)