Quote from: Hashtag on November 25, 2011, 10:15:07 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on November 25, 2011, 10:12:55 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 25, 2011, 09:26:58 AM
Quote from: gawa316 on November 24, 2011, 09:25:37 PM
I'm off for 2 weeks over xmas

Same here, which is nice.

Quote from: Hashtag on November 24, 2011, 09:28:57 PM
I'm off for 2 weeks over xmas...it's going to be the best xmas ever!!!!!!

Please stop taking the CHRIST out of Christmas.

Surely you know, that the Greek letter X (chi) is the first letter of the Greek word for Christ, Xristos ( Χριστός). Xmas therefore means "Christ's Mass." The letter chi is written the same as the Roman letter X. So, as a form of shorthand, some people replace "Christ" with the first letter of his Greek name, X.

The word "Christ" and its compounds, including "Christmas", have been abbreviated in English for at least the past 1,000 years, long before the modern "Xmas" was commonly used. "Christ" was often written as "XP" or "Xt"; there are references in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as far back as AD 1021.

I'm surprised that one who needs so much time to celebrate the birth of XP doesn't know this.

In fairness about time somebody pointed this out to everyone. You have the usual suspects on the gear grinding thread, giving about the brits stealing the christ from christmas, round about this time every year.

I personally stand corrected. I always gave out about people taking the Christ out of Christmas by writing X-Mas. A priest came into our school when I was P7. He gave a lecture about this Xmas as we had it on posters in our classroom. Has sort of stuck with me.

Not the only thing they were wrong about

Discuss.

Ulick

Surely you know, that the Greek letter X (chi) is the first letter of the Greek word for Christ, Xristos ( Χριστός). Xmas therefore means "Christ's Mass." The letter chi is written the same as the Roman letter X. So, as a form of shorthand, some people replace "Christ" with the first letter of his Greek name, X.

The word "Christ" and its compounds, including "Christmas", have been abbreviated in English for at least the past 1,000 years, long before the modern "Xmas" was commonly used. "Christ" was often written as "XP" or "Xt"; there are references in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as far back as AD 1021.

I'm surprised that one who needs so much time to celebrate the birth of XP doesn't know this.

In fairness about time somebody pointed this out to everyone. You have the usual suspects on the gear grinding thread, giving about the brits stealing the christ from christmas, round about this time every year.

Bollocks, 99% of the people who use Xmas don't know about this Greek shit, they use X to secularise it.   

HiMucker

What ASAP, is that secularised or what.  No doubt some people use Xmas for that, but the vast majority write Xmas as its shorthand.  I havent met anyone who actually says Xmas!

Hashtag

Quote from: Hashtag on November 25, 2011, 11:51:52 AM
I could have good news........

Stand by people

The 28th is also a bank holiday in the North. Therefore I may not have to work the 27th. Confused? You should be.
Won't know until later.
I bet you can't wait.

ballinaman

Quote from: Hashtag on November 25, 2011, 12:55:22 PM

Stand by people

The 28th is also a bank holiday in the North. Therefore I may not have to work the 27th. Confused? You should be.
Won't know until later.
I bet you can't wait.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rois

Stand by people

Won't know until later.
I bet you can't wait.

I'm confused that I'm not getting a bank holiday on 28th if you think it is one!

Hashtag

Quote from: Rois on November 25, 2011, 01:50:12 PM

Stand by people

Won't know until later.
I bet you can't wait.

I'm confused that I'm not getting a bank holiday on 28th if you think it is one!

I confirmed with a telephone call to Ulster Bank that it is indeed a BANK HOLIDAY in the North.
They showed me great sympathy about my current situation and even sent me email evidence that it is a Bank Holiday. I will submit this to my boss together with the report as to why I shouldn't be working. Included in the report is:
A handwritten letter from my Wife
A conversation dialogue between my Granny and Myself when I told her the news
A detailed graph of my lack of motivation and productivity over the holiday period
A TV guide, the shows that I really wanted to watch highlighted

I can hope. If I have nothing, I have hope.

Rois

Quote from: Hashtag on November 25, 2011, 01:57:30 PM
Quote from: Rois on November 25, 2011, 01:50:12 PM

Stand by people

Won't know until later.
I bet you can't wait.

I confirmed with a telephone call to Ulster Bank that it is indeed a BANK HOLIDAY in the North.
They showed me great sympathy about my current situation and even sent me email evidence that it is a Bank Holiday. I will submit this to my boss together with the report as to why I shouldn't be working. Included in the report is:
A handwritten letter from my Wife
A conversation dialogue between my Granny and Myself when I told her the news
A detailed graph of my lack of motivation and productivity over the holiday period
A TV guide, the shows that I really wanted to watch highlighted

I can hope. If I have nothing, I have hope.

Hmmmm show me that evidence too there.

AZOffaly

Bank holiday as opposed to public holiday?

Minder

Last day will be 23rd December and back on 9th January.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ross4life

When i opened up this thread i was expecting to read Phoebe Cates Christmas runined type story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueVPUsyrT0s
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

thebigfella

Quote from: Ulick on November 25, 2011, 12:28:17 PM

Bollocks, 99% of the people who use Xmas don't know about this Greek shit, they use X to secularise it.

Hmmmmmm, you continue to believe that little myth. Sure it's all the Brits fault too.

In fairness people may not understand the abbreviation or the Greek Shit as you put it; but it also doesn't mean they are proactively secularizing the word Christmas either. Ah imagine the irony if your little myth was actually true.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on November 24, 2011, 12:48:17 PM
I get 26th, 27th December and 2nd January.

Not great but better than fcuk all.

To celebrate my birthday?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on November 25, 2011, 05:33:23 PM
Last day will be 23rd December and back on 9th January.

When did you become a teacher?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 25, 2011, 09:01:32 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 24, 2011, 12:48:17 PM
I get 26th, 27th December and 2nd January.

Not great but better than fcuk all.

To celebrate my birthday?

Happy 40th MR2, just in case i forget
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012