NI's future in the United Kingdom could depend on Catholics - Robinson

Started by SuperMac, November 19, 2011, 12:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Tubberman

Jesus Christ, it's the same fcking thread over and over again.
The Presidential election thread was taken over with the same old blame game, now this thread is gone the same way.
It would sicken your hole.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

bennydorano

Something I remember clearly from stupid arguments I was involved in on OWC many moons ago, was that when we reached a time when a UI seemed a genuine possibility (and would be voted for) a lot of the contingent on OWC thought it very fair that at that point the boundaries of NI should be redrawn again to rather than (once again) accepting the will of the majority. :o

seafoid

In a hypothetical UI Dublin would still get everything and Down would be relegated to the status of Cavan or Longford or Mayo or Wexford . 

deiseach

Quote from: bennydorano on November 21, 2011, 06:57:09 PM
Something I remember clearly from stupid arguments I was involved in on OWC many moons ago, was that when we reached a time when a UI seemed a genuine possibility (and would be voted for) a lot of the contingent on OWC thought it very fair that at that point the boundaries of NI should be redrawn again to rather than (once again) accepting the will of the majority. :o

Seems about right. They insist they're entitled to a homeland, something that respectable opinion in Albion scoffs at when articulated by Turkish Cypriots or white South Africans.

michaelg

Quote from: deiseach on November 21, 2011, 09:03:03 PM

Seems about right. They insist they're entitled to a homeland, something that respectable opinion in Albion scoffs at when articulated by Turkish Cypriots or white South Africans.
Who are you? - Mary McAleese?
Lazy, bigoted comment

Applesisapples

Sure we'll build them a reservation up around Portbalintrae.

ardal

Quote from: michaelg on November 21, 2011, 10:55:23 PM

Lazy, bigoted comment

Think you may have misunderstood the sentiment michaelg (where did all the proper nouns go?)

armaghniac

QuoteSure we'll build them a reservation up around Portbalintrae.

From Newtownabbey to Larne would be ideal, leave them a boat route to go the Glasgow Rangers games.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

deiseach

Lazy, bigoted comment

Okay michaelg, you explain to me why Ulster Unionists (for want of a better term) were entitled to a homeland while Turkish Cypriots and white South Africans are not

haveaharp

Quote from: deiseach on November 22, 2011, 02:55:51 PM
Lazy, bigoted comment

Okay michaelg, you explain to me why Ulster Unionists (for want of a better term) were entitled to a homeland while Turkish Cypriots and white South Africans are not

Wasn't it Paisley that said "id rather be British than fair"

Jim_Murphy_74

Lazy, bigoted comment

Why bigoted?

Surely too it would be lazy not to at least ask such a question?  When previously faced with such an issue, unionists took that position, why not again? 

/Jiim

Evil Genius

Quote from: SuperMac on November 19, 2011, 12:48:29 PMSo, is this a sign that ' Ulster ' is truly doomed ?

The Stormont Executive's First Minister has said Northern Ireland's future in the United Kingdom could depend on Catholics, wary of Ireland's economic woes, voting across the traditional divide.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1119/robinsonp.html
Absolutely not!

Tbh, this reminds me of Robinson's claim before the last Assembly election that if Unionists didn't vote DUP, we could see a SF 1st Minister. That was never going to happen, but it did no harm in scaring Unionists into staying "staunch". This interview will do the same, whilst also subtly reminding Catholics/Nationalists that he is aware of their concerns etc. (Of course, I don't for one moment imagine RC's/Nats will now vote DUP - nor does Robinson. But if this induces complacency in them etc, then a failure by some of them to vote at all is enough to maintain the Unionist majority)

And, of course, it will be no coincidence that this piece appeared on the day of the TUV Annual Conference in Cookstown - thereby neatly drawing attention away from them.

I don't like the greedy hoor myself, but he's undeniably a clever political operator, is Robinson.  ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: seafoid on November 19, 2011, 05:05:40 PM
Figures out last month found that 49% of Northern Irish students at the province's universities were Catholics, while 35% were Protestants

the Protestant working class are in big trouble with stats like that.
There is no doubt that the lack of educational attainment among the Prod working class is a real problem economically and socially etc, but I don't see how it affects their political affiliations. In fact if anything, it makes tham more  likely to adhere to traditional working class Loyalism etc, rather than be attracted by the prospect of some sort of liberal democratic and secular United Ireland.

And anyhow, that figure is somewhat misleading, unless it is set against the number of Prods who cross the water to study in GB (many more than RC's, I suspect), at least some of whem will return to NI after graduating.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: dec on November 19, 2011, 07:05:40 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 19, 2011, 02:11:20 PM
Not necessarily, at least in the short to medium term. SF and the SDLP could get 60% of the vote, but it's only the vote on a referendum that matters. I don't think it would make any sense to push for a referendum until the nationalist vote is at least 55%.

As for the DUP attracting Catholics... I can't see it happening in any significant numbers. Robinson's reaction to the Prison Service emblems issue is a reminder of just how moderate the DUP is. Not very.

Catholics won't vote for the DUP any time soon. However a percentage could well vote to remain in the UK in a referendum mainly for "fear of change" reasons rather than "Castle Catholic/West Brit" reasons.
Spot on, on both counts.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"