NI's future in the United Kingdom could depend on Catholics - Robinson

Started by SuperMac, November 19, 2011, 12:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: haveaharp on November 21, 2011, 11:47:20 AM
I dont hate the south, its just the apathetic attitude that some have towards the north. In fact some really detest the north and my own personal observation is that it gets worse the further south you go. Could be wrong but just an observation. Down round langer and yerra land they would make you think you really are from another country.

That statement certainly does not ring true. Cork and Kerry were the most anti-treaty counties during the Civil War. Areas of west-Cork and particularly mid and north-Kerry would still be deeply republican - witness the support for Sinn Féin north of Tralee.

For all that there are many in the twenty-six counties who are wholly ignorant of the six counties, there are at least as many in the six counties who are equally as ignorant in their attitude towards 'southerners.'
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

haveaharp

Quote from: Hardy on November 21, 2011, 12:19:31 PM
Quote from: haveaharp on November 21, 2011, 11:58:09 AM
Quote from: Hardy on November 21, 2011, 11:04:44 AM
Quote from: haveaharp on November 21, 2011, 10:39:24 AM
Quote from: Hardy on November 21, 2011, 10:31:42 AM
Quote from: haveaharp on November 21, 2011, 10:08:18 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 21, 2011, 09:50:53 AM
Talking about it on Nolan show now.
"Lots of Catholics phoning" (well about 5) in to say they support the "union" and would be unionists with a small u?
Wonder will they let any Catholics who disagree on!

Think we should add a poll and see if there are any on here who would support the "union"?

If there was a bit less apathy in the south for their northern brothers, there may be a few less castle catholics.

f**k me - it's our faut again!

Sorry about the weather we're causing.

Not "again", just was your fault in the first place and that stain remains. Its a fact of life that some of the most committed unionist reside in the Dail and represent plenty of the same. I suppose its good that they represent their voters in some small way.

Perhaps you could explain what I did and how I can purge this "stain". I'm always willing to help.

hardy - you know your history as well as anyone im sure. You know what i refer to and you know that sucessive irish governments did precious little to put pressure on the British government during the troubles. If it makes us northerners a little pissed off well please forgive us that and forgive us for being well entitled to being pissed off. Do you not think we have a reason to be ?

I have more to concern me than worrying about how pissed off you are.

Fair enough. Nicely side stepped.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on November 21, 2011, 12:24:40 PM
I dont hate the south, its just the apathetic attitude that some have towards the north. In fact some really detest the north and my own personal observation is that it gets worse the further south you go. Could be wrong but just an observation. Down round langer and yerra land they would make you think you really are from another country.

That statement certainly does not ring true. Cork and Kerry were the most anti-treaty counties during the Civil War. Areas of west-Cork and particularly mid and north-Kerry would still be deeply republican - witness the support for Sinn Féin north of Tralee.

For all that there are many in the twenty-six counties who are wholly ignorant of the six counties, there are at least as many in the six counties who are equally as ignorant in their attitude towards 'southerners.'

I agree DH. And areas like West Limerick and Clare would also be very much 32 county republican (small r). I think in general most of the country would be in fairness. I think the media and particularly the broadcast media might give a false impression to be honest. I know young people generally don't give a shite, but they don't give a shite about a lot of things except being young. I think the underlying sentiment would still be in favour of a united Ireland, but not against anyone's will.

haveaharp

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 21, 2011, 01:01:05 PM

but not against anyone's will.

thats that fooked then

fearglasmor

I agree DH. And areas like West Limerick and Clare would also be very much 32 county republican (small r). I think in general most of the country would be in fairness. I think the media and particularly the broadcast media might give a false impression to be honest. I know young people generally don't give a shite, but they don't give a shite about a lot of things except being young. I think the underlying sentiment would still be in favour of a united Ireland, but not against anyone's will.

The problem there is that it has to be against someones will.  Maybe a minirity but it will always be a sizeable minority. The question then is will that sizeable minority accept a democratic majority   ????    ::) ::) ::)

AZOffaly

Quote from: haveaharp on November 21, 2011, 01:04:00 PM

but not against anyone's will.

thats that fooked then

Maybe, but doesn't mean you can't keep trying to make a united Ireland attractive to both communities.

AZOffaly

Quote from: fearglasmor on November 21, 2011, 01:07:49 PM

The problem there is that it has to be against someones will.  Maybe a minirity but it will always be a sizeable minority. The question then is will that sizeable minority accept a democratic majority   ????    ::) ::) ::)

Yes fear. Obviously someone will be unhappy, but what I mean is that we need to try and make sure there's no triumphalism or regalia that will make it seem like a defeat for anybody. Otherwise you'll just spawn another round of trouble in the country.

I think that in time the majority of people in the north can be persuaded that a united Ireland would be a good place to live. If we can't at least aim for that, what point is there?

Applesisapples

That's certainly true.

Hardy

Quote from: haveaharp on November 21, 2011, 12:52:35 PM
"Lots of Catholics phoning" (well about 5) in to say they support the "union" and would be unionists with a small u?

Think we should add a poll and see if there are any on here who would support the "union"?

If there was a bit less apathy in the south for their northern brothers, there may be a few less castle catholics.

Not "again", just was your fault in the first place and that stain remains. Its a fact of life that some of the most committed unionist reside in the Dail and represent plenty of the same. I suppose its good that they represent their voters in some small way.

Perhaps you could explain what I did and how I can purge this "stain". I'm always willing to help.

hardy - you know your history as well as anyone im sure. You know what i refer to and you know that sucessive irish governments did precious little to put pressure on the British government during the troubles. If it makes us northerners a little pissed off well please forgive us that and forgive us for being well entitled to being pissed off. Do you not think we have a reason to be ?

Only a side-step in the sense that one would side-step a pile of elephant dung.

haveaharp

Quote from: Hardy on November 21, 2011, 01:36:33 PM
Quote from: haveaharp on November 21, 2011, 12:52:35 PM

Only a side-step in the sense that one would side-step a pile of elephant dung.

Which bit is dung ? The bit about successive Irish governments doing nothing ? Tell me otherwise.

Rossfan

The title of this thread contains the word "future".
However a couple of bucks seem to want to dig into the past as usual so they can be upset about things .

Ther's not a single thing you can do about the bloody past  - whether it's your take on it or mine.
Now this oul future thingy ... we can all do something to try and shape that ...... or does that call for constructiveness and no giving out about future partners etc.
Sure some people couldnt be having that sort of carry on  :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

haveaharp

Quote from: Rossfan on November 21, 2011, 02:33:54 PM
However a couple of bucks seem to want to dig into the past as usual so they can be upset about things .

Ther's not a single thing you can do about the bloody past  - whether it's your take on it or mine.
Now this oul future thingy ... we can all do something to try and shape that ...... or does that call for constructiveness and no giving out about future partners etc.
Sure some people couldnt be having that sort of carry on  :P

Not repeating mistakes of the past will help in building this future you speak of.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Rossfan on November 21, 2011, 02:33:54 PM

Reminds me of a certain election recently.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

seafoid

Northern Ireland is always going to be a bit of both British and Irish, isn't it?  If the GFA gives some sort of parity of esteem to Nationalists  as a minority then when the table are turned the Protestants will have to get the same treatment. The Brits are very kind to fund the whole charade. They broke it so they should fix it.

I though David Adams' piece on Michael D was very good

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2011/1117/1224307704567.html

AQMP

Can only speak from my own personal experience.  A lot of Northern nationalists confuse the views of e.g. the Eoghan Harrises and the Sindo of this country with the wider view of the North held by Southerners.  I spend a fair bit of time in the South (mostly in the border counties I admit) but also in Dublin. I've only experienced "anti-northern" sentiments directly once.  Yes some people are a bit ignorant of what the North is like but I generally find that this is not reflected in "anti-northerness".  Maybe people in the South don't think about a United Ireland every day but who does?